The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by reener

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by YMCMB

like rubbing alcohol? and using a paper towel would be fine?
yeah. a microfiber cloth/eyeglass towel will work better though
What's wrong with using Windex? I have been using windex.
nerd.gif
Windex contains ammonia, which damages your LCD panel over time

Originally Posted by 23legacy45

thegoat121886 wrote:

Nobody can really convince you one way or the other. If you like windows, stay with a Windows laptop and save some money. If you like Mac OS, spend the extra and go with a MBP. It's all personal preference. I don't really find there to be much difference between the two honestly. 
oh ok gotcha. ..
  • Relatively high resale value- you can easily sell a 2-3 year old mac for anywhere from 50-75% of it's original sale value. this makes the upgrade process a lot sweeter when you have extra cash to work with
  • Very good native creative suites- if your focus has anything to do with digital media arts (music production, film, photography/print manipulation, etc), OSX offers an extensive library of in-house software, most of which is the industry standard in a given field
  • Low-risk of viruses- you still take a gamble going online raw, but i can say that in nearly 20 years of Mac-ing, i have never gotten a virus. Watch pr0n with confidence
    baf152e995a923e6bfe9892fb5dae575ea6f467.gif

• Design- there's no denying that MBPs are sexy beasts. They also have relatively high battery life ON PAPER. Your own experience and usage may prove otherwise
  • The Apple Store- if you're not computer/tech saavy, having a retail store to troubleshoot your computer can be a lot easier to deal with than a tech support phone rep in India. This is not a reason to put your faith in every Apple Genius you come across though. Many will still jake you around if you need repairs/can't pinpoint an issue/etc. The peace of mind may just be worth it however.
Cons of MBP's
  • Price- I can't really agree that the markup on these things compared to other computers in their respective classes are entirely worth it. The 15" MBP is the best value of any MBP with it's mix of functionality, features and price. The current 13" should be no more than $1K, and the 17" is highway robbery considering its a 15" computer with a higher res, 2" larger screen real estate. There just isn't enough product differentiation to justify the stark price increases at those levels.
  • Limited user upgrades: outside of RAM and hard drives, none of the components of a mac are upgradable. You'll need to buy a mac pro just to get the option of a semi-custom machine. If you do choose to go Mac, just understand you're pretty much stuck with that configuration for as long as you own it. If you would like to upgrade from the standard options available, DO NOT buy the RAM/HD upgrades from apple. They charge a whole lot for a whole little. buy those things from a place like Newegg and sell the parts that come out your Mac for a little extra money. Replaceing RAM and HDs are easy DIY jobs that take no more than 5 mins each. Apple charges a 100-300% premium
    ebe2598ec79edada2e6ec0e2631895346afbf48.gif

• Product updates are few and far between: The computer world moves at a very fast pace. Apple moves at it's own pace and adopts new hardware at a lower rate than PCs. It took them a year to adopt Arrandale chips on MBPs, and now we're about to be on Sandy Bridge 
    03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif
    853157e596ab25e1e6f076e431e417ee8471782.gif
    . The last MBP update was in April 2010. We're in January 2011... Along with the updates, Apple is slow to adopt new chipsets. Intel Core 2 Duos are STILL being used in modified forms on the 13" MB/MBP, MBA, and Mac Mini, 4 years after they were first introduced. While a fast chip is only a part of the equation in a quality computer, it is disheartening that a company who claims to be so innovative can't balance out profit margins and upgrades a little better.

Let me know if you need more info

I've been stalking this thread hard body for months now. Waiting for the MBP to drop. I'm just not sure if I should pull the trigger....bc looking at goats pro/con list, it seems to favor pc
frown.gif

Moneys not an issue and I plan on purchasing Apple Care with it (student disco of course) but I can't help but feel at bit un easy burning 1400 on a computer.

Any unbiased thoughts? Lol

yeah. a microfiber cloth/eyeglass towel will work better though
nerd.gif
wow thanks, so a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water, correct?

nerd.gif
wow thanks, so a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water, correct?
yeah one part to one part...a 50% mix of each should suffice. If you don't wanna be cheap like me, Klear Screen works just as well. All those things are basically watered down alcohol in pretty bottles though

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

i got my ram now i cant find a screwdriver to open the back up smh
the edge of a razor works wonders. A #0 Phillips is what you need though
i got this rusty razor 
laugh.gif
....gonna have to go buy some small screwdrivers later this week 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by nickgotmoney07

how do i post my layout do i do a print screen ?????
Shift + Command + 3 for a full screenshot, Shift + Command + 4 for a selectable screen. It saves the image to your desktop

Originally Posted by iHust1e

Originally Posted by 23legacy45
oh ok gotcha. ..
  • Relatively high resale value- you can easily sell a 2-3 year old mac for anywhere from 50-75% of it's original sale value. this makes the upgrade process a lot sweeter when you have extra cash to work with
  • Very good native creative suites- if your focus has anything to do with digital media arts (music production, film, photography/print manipulation, etc), OSX offers an extensive library of in-house software, most of which is the industry standard in a given field
  • Low-risk of viruses- you still take a gamble going online raw, but i can say that in nearly 20 years of Mac-ing, i have never gotten a virus. Watch pr0n with confidence

• Design- there's no denying that MBPs are sexy beasts. They also have relatively high battery life ON PAPER. Your own experience and usage may prove otherwise
  • The Apple Store- if you're not computer/tech saavy, having a retail store to troubleshoot your computer can be a lot easier to deal with than a tech support phone rep in India. This is not a reason to put your faith in every Apple Genius you come across though. Many will still jake you around if you need repairs/can't pinpoint an issue/etc. The peace of mind may just be worth it however.
Cons of MBP's
  • Price- I can't really agree that the markup on these things compared to other computers in their respective classes are entirely worth it. The 15" MBP is the best value of any MBP with it's mix of functionality, features and price. The current 13" should be no more than $1K, and the 17" is highway robbery considering its a 15" computer with a higher res, 2" larger screen real estate. There just isn't enough product differentiation to justify the stark price increases at those levels.
  • Limited user upgrades: outside of RAM and hard drives, none of the components of a mac are upgradable. You'll need to buy a mac pro just to get the option of a semi-custom machine. If you do choose to go Mac, just understand you're pretty much stuck with that configuration for as long as you own it. If you would like to upgrade from the standard options available, DO NOT buy the RAM/HD upgrades from apple. They charge a whole lot for a whole little. buy those things from a place like Newegg and sell the parts that come out your Mac for a little extra money. Replaceing RAM and HDs are easy DIY jobs that take no more than 5 mins each. Apple charges a 100-300% premium

• Product updates are few and far between: The computer world moves at a very fast pace. Apple moves at it's own pace and adopts new hardware at a lower rate than PCs. It took them a year to adopt Arrandale chips on MBPs, and now we're about to be on Sandy Bridge 
    . The last MBP update was in April 2010. We're in January 2011... Along with the updates, Apple is slow to adopt new chipsets. Intel Core 2 Duos are STILL being used in modified forms on the 13" MB/MBP, MBA, and Mac Mini, 4 years after they were first introduced. While a fast chip is only a part of the equation in a quality computer, it is disheartening that a company who claims to be so innovative can't balance out profit margins and upgrades a little better.

I've been stalking this thread hard body for months now. Waiting for the MBP to drop. I'm just not sure if I should pull the trigger....bc looking at goats pro/con list, it seems to favor pc
frown.gif

Moneys not an issue and I plan on purchasing Apple Care with it (student disco of course) but I can't help but feel at bit un easy burning 1400 on a computer.

if you're not comfortable dropping that much, go for a refurbished model. same computer, same warranty with a cheaper price tag

oh ok gotcha. ..

Cons of MBP's

frown.gif

if you're not comfortable dropping that much, go for a refurbished model. same computer, same warranty with a cheaper price tag
find a microcenter they got last years 13 macbook pro, which is faster than the sandy bridges of this year for 899
and u can get apple care later i think you have until ur year is up 

i have a regular macbook upgraded to 4gb of ram. got it new from the apple store 2/10.

it's awesome. i wanted the MBP but don't like the aluminum look. white FTW.

i've added nothing and i apologize.

copped a macbook last week 
pimp.gif

i love this thing, got that accidental plan through best buy too, employee discount ftw

frown.gif

find a microcenter they got last years 13 macbook pro, which is faster than the sandy bridges of this year for 899
and u can get apple care later i think you have until ur year is up 
Thanks. I have one around my way. I will check this out.

Intel just had a sandy bridge recall.....waiting FTW. Something about the USB ports stop functioning altogether over time. Might want to wait on that, the chipset is flawed...

Originally Posted by Str8Hood

Intel just had a sandy bridge recall.....waiting FTW. Something about the USB ports stop functioning altogether over time. Might want to wait on that, the chipset is flawed...

Is  this recall for the new MBP?

Originally Posted by BK201

Anybody have a minidisplay to HDMI cable?
I'm looking at getting this http://www.monoprice.com/...p_id=5997&seq=1&format=2
WIll this allow me to watch my shows on my HDTV with crisp video and sound? I have the april 2010 13inch mbp
i should get the one i posted from sd tomorrow i got it for 7 shipped ill let you know how it works, it should be easy plug and stream tho
mail

7$ well spent, just make sure to hit hdmi on sound...only thing is the screen like top tabs are cut off but maybe its something i did wrong...i really didnt play with the settings a lot just checked to see if it worked with sound and it does 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Str8Hood

Yeah man I hope they have it all fixed by the Air refresh.

Back
Top Bottom