The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

so after upgrading to Lion you can no longer use PowerPC apps... Is there any updates that can allow me to use them again?

I haven't seen anything about there being an update yet. What programs did u lose? I'm assuming Microsoft Office and possibly a couple others..
Thank God my school gave me a free copy of Office 2011 earlier this year I lost no programs after the lion update (which I def got for free). I am a bit upset they changed up the gestures. Especially the 3 fingers being a back button I am constantly switching to other full screen programs now which I hate. Overall lion is okay. I do like the full screen features tho.

so after upgrading to Lion you can no longer use PowerPC apps... Is there any updates that can allow me to use them again?

Really?

No, PowerPC is dead, its been dead for about 5 years now. Apple is not going to support something thats been obsolete for that long.

Originally Posted by guesshooiem

I am planning on buy a Macbook pro. The guy at Apple said the OS lion is only download and there is no word of lion being the main OS in the macbook pros. I am sketched out about downloading lion. windows 7 had a problem when they upgraded PCs because of the loopholes that caused PCs problems. I rather have the full version of OS done by Apple themselves. Should I wait a bit longer to see if Lion becomes the main OS or just download the free version they offer when I purchase the macbook? I don't to spend all that money on the macbook and have problems.

What do you mean the main OS and "full version of the OS done by Apple themselves"? That doesn't make any sense. Lion is a full OS wether it comes from a download from the App Store or pre-installed on the computer.

Apple will start selling a Lion Install USB thumb drive starting in August.

Users who do not have broadband access at home, work or school can download Lion at Apple retail stores and later this August, Lion will be made available on a USB thumb drive through the Apple Store[emoji]174[/emoji] (www.apple.com) for $69 (US). Mac OS X Lion Server requires Lion and is available from the Mac App Store for $49.99 (US).

I've been having serious overheating issues with my macbook pro. i got it january 09 so it's older, but it's the new body style. apple replaced my battery and trackpad (which was cool and all) but my MBP overheats to 82 degrees celsius every time i use it.

Help please?

Originally Posted by kicksnmusic

I've been having serious overheating issues with my macbook pro. i got it january 09 so it's older, but it's the new body style. apple replaced my battery and trackpad (which was cool and all) but my MBP overheats to 82 degrees celsius every time i use it.

Help please?
http://www.eidac.de/ SMCFanControl. lifesaver.

Originally Posted by QuKtIc

^ Thanks, a 12.5mm won't fit in the HD bay?~

you may be able to fit it in without the hard drive shield but do you really want that? Just stick with a 5400RPM 1TB to get a proper fit. A snug 12.5mm + 7200 RPMs + small space is a recipe for overheating and HD failure.

Originally Posted by DimesLikeHefner

Help please?
i've been using this for weeks. it's revving at a fulll 6200 rpm the whole time. still at 78 (thats round 170 Fahrenheit) degrees Celsius currently 

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

My thing is with iMacs I assume repairs are a B, and with the 17 in MBP joint is 700 bucks more than an entry level iMac which is better spec. And selling used PCs seems like a waste of time to me cause of no resale value and od scammers. The vaio could b used for programming on the go but hell Idk
frown.gif
If you want value, and portability isn't a MUST, then I'd say iMac 100%. I was in the same boat and went with the iMac. BUT it's the only mac I have right now, and I kinda do wish I had a macbook at times so I'm probably gonna look into the new Air's which are $1k and perform almost has well as some of the mbp. In other words... I have no $!*++#! clue, just get a mac and start enjoying it. And check out my blog, and follow me on twitter, and stuff. 
get a 13"/15" MBP and get an external monitor for when youre home. best of both worlds

Help please?
i've been using this for weeks. it's revving at a fulll 6200 rpm the whole time. still at 78 (thats round 170 Fahrenheit) degrees Celsius currently 
Run activity monitor next time this happens and see what processes are running and using up the most resources. It's als possible there is dust inside your machine, perhaps blocking a heatsink or something. it's all relative

For now no, but i'm fairly certain someone will hack OSX Lion to support Rosetta in the near future

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Run activity monitor next time this happens and see what processes are running and using up the most resources. It's als possible there is dust inside your machine, perhaps blocking a heatsink or something. it's all relative

i've been using activity monitor as well. it's not next time it happens, but a continuous thing as long as I turn on my laptop. Even if There's only one or no apps open. 

Anyone installed Lion on a 07 macbook yet? im trying to see if its worth it....

I have a black late 07 macbook with intel processor

Originally Posted by SlimK4

Anyone installed Lion on a 07 macbook yet? im trying to see if its worth it....

I have a black late 07 macbook with intel processor

I did, everything has been pretty smooth for me.

My thing is with iMacs I assume repairs are a B, and with the 17 in MBP joint is 700 bucks more than an entry level iMac which is better spec. And selling used PCs seems like a waste of time to me cause of no resale value and od scammers. The vaio could b used for programming on the go but hell Idk
frown.gif
If you want value, and portability isn't a MUST, then I'd say iMac 100%. I was in the same boat and went with the iMac. BUT it's the only mac I have right now, and I kinda do wish I had a macbook at times so I'm probably gonna look into the new Air's which are $1k and perform almost has well as some of the mbp. In other words... I have no $!*++#! clue, just get a mac and start enjoying it. And check out my blog, and follow me on twitter, and stuff. 
get a 13"/15" MBP and get an external monitor for when youre home. best of both worlds

The 13 has Integrated graphics card though, and the 15 in is 1800, for the price of that I could get an iMac and an MB Air for a little more.

Yo I have the bare minimum requirements for OS lion and want to upgrade to it but I'm afraid it will make my system run slow. Would it be alright to upgrade or should I upgrade my specs(ram)

The 13 has Integrated graphics card though, and the 15 in is 1800, for the price of that I could get an iMac and an MB Air for a little more.
I'd just get the iMac and stick with the Vaio, unless you really have another 1k to blow on the macbook air

When you guys get out of school though, your laptops will be pretty much be useless. I had a Powerbook my whole college years and now just need an iMac for my house and my iPhone for on the go stuff.

You could, but that would mean you'd have an iMac, a laptop, AND an iPad. Something is gonna end up not being used and become a waste of money. An iMac is a MacBook pro with a bigger screen and slightly better processor. You could have the 15" for $1700 off amazon, and spend $200-$300 on a good NEC monitor. $2000 is the price of a mid-level iMac with comparable components AND portability.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

When you guys get out of school though, your laptops will be pretty much be useless. I had a Powerbook my whole college years and now just need an iMac for my house and my iPhone for on the go stuff.

na. ideally, i would love to have the power of a desktop in a portable shell but that's just not gonna happen unless you pay crazy money. Laptops are the best selling computers for a reason...they're versatile. iPhones will never compare to a full-size laptop. Hell, even netbooks cant do that. I had an iBook and replaced that with a MacBook when that first dropped. I'm out of college now but laptops will forever be my go-to computer. I'll keep a dedicated HTPC at home, but i find that when having multiple computers for the same purpose (i.e. one laptop and one desktop), one computer gets shafted. For me, it is/was my iMac. I only use this thing to watch movies since it has the bigger screen 
laugh.gif

You could, but that would mean you'd have an iMac, a laptop, AND an iPad. Something is gonna end up not being used and become a waste of money. An iMac is a MacBook pro with a bigger screen and slightly better processor. You could have the 15" for $1700 off amazon, and spend $200-$300 on a good NEC monitor. $2000 is the price of a mid-level iMac with comparable components AND portability.
Spec wise, isnt the entry level iMac pretty much the High end 15 inch MBP?  All I`m going to be doing is Web design, Photoshop (both of which I would be entry level and trying to do projects to get better, so eventually I would be advance I guess) Web browsing, and doing some programing via Windows primarily.  I know I dont want a 13 inch MBP though.

Just got done installing Lion. No huge differences for me yet...is there an official list of the supposed 250+ new features.

Back
Top Bottom