The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

The 13 has Integrated graphics card though, and the 15 in is 1800, for the price of that I could get an iMac and an MB Air for a little more.

You could, but that would mean you'd have an iMac, a laptop, AND an iPad. Something is gonna end up not being used and become a waste of money. An iMac is a MacBook pro with a bigger screen and slightly better processor. You could have the 15" for $1700 off amazon, and spend $200-$300 on a good NEC monitor. $2000 is the price of a mid-level iMac with comparable components AND portability.
Spec wise, isnt the entry level iMac pretty much the High end 15 inch MBP?  All I`m going to be doing is Web design, Photoshop (both of which I would be entry level and trying to do projects to get better, so eventually I would be advance I guess) Web browsing, and doing some programing via Windows primarily.  I know I dont want a 13 inch MBP though.
i feel you. the 13" is garbo to me too, but i'm just trying to recommend you the best course of action economically. The 15" is the best value (if value even exists in Club Apple
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
) of all the laptops. If you plan on keeping the Vaio AND having the iMac...go for it. If i were in your shoes, the macbook pro x display would be my choice. having 2 computers is a 
aaf35799ef9b9300a0242439ecf23d9bc10159c.gif
 with keeping things in order and synced. working off one and finishing up on the next becomes tedious without some kind of organization

You could, but that would mean you'd have an iMac, a laptop, AND an iPad. Something is gonna end up not being used and become a waste of money. An iMac is a MacBook pro with a bigger screen and slightly better processor. You could have the 15" for $1700 off amazon, and spend $200-$300 on a good NEC monitor. $2000 is the price of a mid-level iMac with comparable components AND portability.
Spec wise, isnt the entry level iMac pretty much the High end 15 inch MBP?  All I`m going to be doing is Web design, Photoshop (both of which I would be entry level and trying to do projects to get better, so eventually I would be advance I guess) Web browsing, and doing some programing via Windows primarily.  I know I dont want a 13 inch MBP though.
i feel you. the 13" is garbo to me too, but i'm just trying to recommend you the best course of action economically. The 15" is the best value (if value even exists in Club Apple
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
) of all the laptops. If you plan on keeping the Vaio AND having the iMac...go for it. If i were in your shoes, the macbook pro x display would be my choice. having 2 computers is a 
 with keeping things in order and synced. working off one and finishing up on the next becomes tedious without some kind of organization
See thing is I keep everything I do on externals, I don't save anything on the actual pc harddrives. Like I said windows would pretty much only before when I need to program in the .Net framwork and I would dual boot when I`m on my iMac, and if I had class and needed to do heavy work I could take my vaio. My thing is windows PCs have DOO DOO, resell value. Like honestly if I got the 15 inch MBP, a Monitor, and Apple Care Id be at like 2500 bucks. The thing I did like about the MBP is that when it comes to maintence and upgrading stuff it's easy, and if I do want to work on websites on the Go it is portable. But then again I`m not in college anymore, so I could just set up a nice home office,  and when I do eventually go back to school I can use the Vaio if I have to do something in a lab programming wise. the iMac seemed like an OD good value since pretty much I`m getting a solid system for 1100, and can throw on apple care, and buy everything I need and end up at 1700-1800 the price of a 15 inch MBP with nothing extra.

Can You set up dual monitors with the iMac with a non Apple Monitor? I was kind of thinking about buying a monitor anyways just to do dual monitors cause it looks cool and will prob be super handy

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Can You set up dual monitors with the iMac with a non Apple Monitor? I was kind of thinking about buying a monitor anyways just to do dual monitors cause it looks cool and will prob be super handy
yeah you can do infinity set up too ( 3 monitors) they dont have to be apple monitors 

Quick question. I am about to buy my first macbook before I go back to school in august and was just wondering if it is necessary to buy the protection plan for an extra 200? It seems like a good deal to me but I am not too sure about it. Can you guys weigh in on it for me please. I know it sounds like a dumb question but I was just hoping for some info about it. 

Originally Posted by nike4KJA05

Quick question. I am about to buy my first macbook before I go back to school in august and was just wondering if it is necessary to buy the protection plan for an extra 200?

Applecare is one of the best investments ever. I think I paid $250 for mine and it is worth it. Covers everything except liquid damage.  So if you are careful around your electronics it will be very much worth it.

Originally Posted by nike4KJA05

Quick question. I am about to buy my first macbook before I go back to school in august and was just wondering if it is necessary to buy the protection plan for an extra 200? It seems like a good deal to me but I am not too sure about it. Can you guys weigh in on it for me please. I know it sounds like a dumb question but I was just hoping for some info about it. 

you have a whole year to buy it. you dont have to get it when you purchase it. Just dont forget to buy it later on. You can save 40% off the price by buying it with your student ID or on Apple's Education site

they replaced my screen w/ apple care the day i brought it in because of backlight bleeding
pimp.gif

still havent bought lion yet tho
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

SMH that buying this isn't a second though for a new mba 13" both with be purchased next month...http://eshop.macsales.com...%20Computing/SSDAPAE480/

ebe2598ec79edada2e6ec0e2631895346afbf48.gif
 at that price. you're basically buying a new computer just for some extra space 
853157e596ab25e1e6f076e431e417ee8471782.gif
. If you got it though go for it. 
I know right...it is pricey, but internal SSDs will be pricey for a little while. seeing as how I got some extra funds coming my way soon it doesn't hurt me. But I do need to look into the external SSD route as well. Regardless, a Macbook Air with 480GB SSD 
pimp.gif

Another question before i install this Lion,......is anyone on here using Java heavy products? Im studying for a test which uses a Java based question bank and i want to know if Java is still enabled even though the website says compatible for 10.6 and up...

Anyone having issues with Youtube with Lion? For some reason when I go and watch a Youtube video, it will freeze my screen even though my mouse can still move. I always have to restart my computer because of it and this has happened almost like 10 times.

I just bought a new 27 iMac with the i5 processor. I never had this issue before and ever since I did the install with Lion, i just have these random freezes with Youtube.

^Thats whats making me nervous about upgrading.....im still on an old 07 Macbook with a Core 2 Duo processor......im not sure if Youtube is still flash based.....that may be the problem....ive read that Lion and Flash dont get along well at all....

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Anyone having issues with Youtube with Lion? For some reason when I go and watch a Youtube video, it will freeze my screen even though my mouse can still move. I always have to restart my computer because of it and this has happened almost like 10 times.
Nope no issues here

I've been tryna search but can anyone compare Apple Care to Geeksquad protection to me?

I know Best buy covers defect,crashes, accidents

Is applecare only defect and crashes?

Also where I work theres no apple store in my city, theres 1 in Jacksonville FL and Charlston SC (both 2 hrs away) and Atlanta (4 hrs), but a best buy in the city, but I believe Best buy sends the item away somewhere.

It seems to be an iMac issue....i see plenty of comments in the OSX lion discussion board on apple.com

I've been tryna search but can anyone compare Apple Care to Geeksquad protection to me?

Also where I work theres no apple store in my city, theres 1 in Jacksonville FL and Charlston SC (both 2 hrs away) and Atlanta (4 hrs), but a best buy in the city, but I believe Best buy sends the item away somewhere.
AppleCare doesn't cover negligent damage (spills, cracked screens, etc) officially. You have to work those problems out on a case by case basis. Keep in mind too that you don't need a physical store to take advantage of AppleCare. Apple overnights shipping boxes to go out to repair facilities and overnights them back to you if you don't wanna go into a store or it's too far. With Best Buy's protection plan, after the initial year is up, all repairs/warranty issues will have to go through Best Buy. You might also want to consider a SquareTrade warranty. Some people get those on top of AppleCare to cover the accidental damage thing

AppleCare doesn't cover negligent damage (spills, cracked screens, etc) officially. You have to work those problems out on a case by case basis. Keep in mind too that you don't need a physical store to take advantage of AppleCare. Apple overnights shipping boxes to go out to repair facilities and overnights them back to you if you don't wanna go into a store or it's too far. With Best Buy's protection plan, after the initial year is up, all repairs/warranty issues will have to go through Best Buy. You might also want to consider a SquareTrade warranty. Some people get those on top of AppleCare to cover the accidental damage thing

I`m not really concerned about Accidents being that I think I`m going to do the iMac now.  So pretty much Apple care wouldnt cover a cracked screen? Like I said I`m not really that concerned about accidents, but it could be useful if I had to move or something. Would Applecare cover something like a power surge issue frying the pc from a store? Also would me installing my own ram void the Apple care?

I`m not really concerned about Accidents being that I think I`m going to do the iMac now.  So pretty much Apple care wouldnt cover a cracked screen? Like I said I`m not really that concerned about accidents, but it could be useful if I had to move or something. Would Applecare cover something like a power surge issue frying the pc from a store? Also would me installing my own ram void the Apple care?
no cracked screens, unless you could prove it was a manufacturing defect
laugh.gif
. I would imagine a power surge issue would be your fault as well. Installing RAM is a DIY project that Apple does not void, however with the new iMacs, Apple uses a proprietary eSATA connector that prevents you from installing a new one. RAM would be the only protected upgrade you can make. Anything else voids your warranty. 

no cracked screens, unless you could prove it was a manufacturing defect
laugh.gif
. I would imagine a power surge issue would be your fault as well. Installing RAM is a DIY project that Apple does not void, however with the new iMacs, Apple uses a proprietary eSATA connector that prevents you from installing a new one. RAM would be the only protected upgrade you can make. Anything else voids your warranty. 
indifferent.gif
smh is this something they implemented beginning on the 2011 models? Lol cause if thats the case I might just cop a refurb junt idk if thunderbolt is that big of a deal

Anyone having trouble with the Mail app? Back in Snow Leopard, mail would get pushed in as soon as it reaches the servers. Now, it doesn't. I have to wait until the app itself 'checks for new mail' every minute.

Just upgrade to Lion through the App Store... I was skeptical at first because I didn't see many replies in this thread about it, but I'll say that I think it's totally worth the $30 (or $0 that some of y'all are paying for it.

It really makes it seem like it's more like the iPad/iPhone/iPod interface. I'm noticing auto-correct like them, the scrolling was like them until I switched it back. Even the reloading of the Twitter feed in the Twitter app is like that found on the mobile devices.

The new Exposé is actually pretty good once you're used to it. Seems to have eliminated spaces and made a slightly better layout for it. I noticed Dashboard has its own background as opposed to just a dimmed desktop image--not a big change, but a change nonetheless. All in all, I'm enjoying the workflow elements a bit more. You can pretty much do any and everything via multi-finger gestures. Even incorporates the use of your thumb to clear out the screen/reveal desktop.

Youtube is working for me, all my programs and apps seem to be, too. Just had to reset some icons in Candybar because the update changed them. However, the Candybar update for Lion works better than it did for me in Snow Leopard... not sure why, but it didn't use to always work instantly, but now it is.
Edit: And full-screen apps is surprisingly pleasing. It seemed kind of trivial when I read it as a new feature, but browsing on it is a much better experience IMO.

Another Edit: I just noticed that three-finger gestures are now like dragging while clicked... if you use it on a menu bar, it moves the window, in text or space it highlights. To cycle back or forward in the web browser, it's similar to cycling through pictures on an iPad or iPhone except with two fingers. It's like dragging the page to the side. It's slightly slower on my aluminum MB though.

Back
Top Bottom