The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

^Only problem with Chrome is that its a memory hog. I've been using Safari for a year now and I don't really have any issues with it.

Maybe i'll switch back to Chrome once I max out my RAM.

safari is cool but it annoys me when I'm on forums...that's literally the only time it acts up with me. It might be because of the popup blocker I'm using 

this is my first macbook pro

dope laptop but I'm still learning lil tricks here and there...didn't even know you could screenshot like this until yesterday lol

also NT sucks on Safari imo.....at least with the popup blocker because it lags for a bit while it's blocking
How you do the screenshot?

Been having problems with my MBP. It can just be sitting on the table, untouched, and restart itself. Either the screen will go black, or a screen full of rainbow colors will pop up. So frustrating. I don't have Apple Care,btw.

Been having problems with my MBP. It can just be sitting on the table, untouched, and restart itself. Either the screen will go black, or a screen full of rainbow colors will pop up. So frustrating. I don't have Apple Care,btw.
sounds like a logic board issue. what year is the computer?

also, i just passed my apple certification exams couple weeks ago. officially an apple certified tech :smile:

Last edited:
Damn I was afraid of that. Anyway to somewhat repair that myself? New logic board, let alone a new MBP, is not in my budget right now.

Damn I was afraid of that. Anyway to somewhat repair that myself? New logic board, let alone a new MBP, is not in my budget right now.

I got my depot repair fee waived by Apple because it was a known issue with the graphics card in the early 2011 model and I never had Apple Care. Try your luck with that. It saved me $310.

I got my depot repair fee waived by Apple because it was a known issue with the graphics card in the early 2011 model and I never had Apple Care. Try your luck with that. It saved me $310.
That only applies to 15 in'' 2011 I believe.
There is no way you can get it yourself. Apple doesnt sell any of their parts to anyone. you can only get the part if you work for apple or if youre an apple certified repair shop.

to begin with im saying that it could be the logic board. its hard to troubleshoot a computer i dont have 
laugh.gif

however, if you do decide to take it to apple (or any apple authorized repair shop) and they diagnose it as the logic board, ask if you can do a tier 1 mail-in repair.

This is a flat rate repair for about $300  and Apple will fix anything they see wrong with the computer. You should back up your data before doing this, though. Also, if they find any accidental damages on the computer, the tier 1 mail in wont work for you.

the flat rate repair is cheaper than buying the logic board itself because a logic board cost over $400 + the cost of labor.

Last edited:
Dude I had the same issue a year ago in Feb.  I have a 2010 MBP that had the same issues. Of course our Apple Care is up so youre going to have to take it in and let them run diagnostics. Once they do that theyll lay out the options where they tell you it has to be fixed. They charge you 250 to ship it out where the replace the logic board and give your computer a tune up. They also give you a 90 day warranty for the part just incase anything else happens afterwards. I can say my comp. has been fine since without any major issues.

Hope Ive been a help.

Can you install more ram on the iMac 5K yourself ? I asked dude at the Apple store and he told me no. If you can, would it void the Applecare ?

I did it on my 27" 2013 iMac myself. I definitely wouldn't drop the extra $600 for the additional ram from them.

Is there a way I can see a breakdown of each used space? I have NOTHING on my Mac that I remember loading on, so I can't understand the 59.47GB worth of apps. Unless I'm oblivious and that's just preset usage from initial unboxing/setup?
late, but install disk inventory x. it'll tell you exactly whats using up your space

Also use Monolingual to get rid of the GBs of languages you're never going to use. You'll be surprised how much space you save.

Finally ordered 16GB of RAM for my iMac. I'm hoping this upgrade will last me another 3-5 years until I really need to get a new Mac.

Hoping there won't be lag when editing photos.

Anyone buy an mbp from cowboom before? What condition was it listed as and was it when delivered?

New or used, what's the best bet for a laptop that can effortlessly run Photoshop/Skype/20+ browser tabs?

It seems like the new Macbooks are junk and the Airs can only be upgraded to 8gb, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I need something with 16gb of ram.

Any ideas or suggestions?

New or used, what's the best bet for a laptop that can effortlessly run Photoshop/Skype/20+ browser tabs?

It seems like the new Macbooks are junk and the Airs can only be upgraded to 8gb, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I need something with 16gb of ram.

Any ideas or suggestions?
whats your price range. the 15 in'' macbook pro retina has 16 gb.

Spoke with some people and they laughed when I said I needed 16gb. Not to mention 15" is too big. I just need something that is fairly quick and portable.

What is this Macbook Air worth?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard Drive 128gb Flashdrive
Start up Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Person is asking $600. Is that OK?

Spoke with some people and they laughed when I said I needed 16gb. Not to mention 15" is too big. I just need something that is fairly quick and portable.

What is this Macbook Air worth?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)
Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hard Drive 128gb Flashdrive
Start up Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Person is asking $600. Is that OK?
I'd think its decent. But if you're running Photoshop, that may take up all your RAM.

Why not a 13-inch Retina with 16GB of RAM? That should be enough

Looking to buy a used Macbook off eBay or Amazon. Is there a certain year or style I should get or avoid? Im looking at a 13', that's pretty much all I know for now since Im new to this. My limit is $600, may squeeze 700. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom