The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

^^ Go with a 13" Air. Probably the best laptop for anyone who's not an extremely frequent traveller, or a power user. They have the best form factor of any laptop arguably ever, plenty of juice for a normal user, and can be found cheap. 

Avoid the original models. I think you can find a 2012 for around that price with a good spec.

Also use Monolingual to get rid of the GBs of languages you're never going to use. You'll be surprised how much space you save.
Good looking out. I did this with my old Mac years back and it helped, totally forgot to do it with new one. On tap for tomorrow.

Isn't there usually some MacBook Air update or something in October
Thinking of getting my girl a 13inch mbair or rmbp for Christmas

In the market for a new laptop for school. Should I go for a cheaper model (2011 MBA used) or a refurbished 2015 MBA? Does it really matter considering I can replace the battery when I need to or am I better off spending more to get the newer model?

I just used this

https://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

over the weekend. I just got a new phone with a lot more memory so I gave my iPod touch my son.

Free trial lets you transfer 1,000 songs, then you have to purchase after that. Before you transfer, make sure you set your options to your preference. I messed up the first time and wasted 450 songs.

After getting familiar with the program, I was able to transfer all my songs with ease.

I might even purchase a license.

2 weeks later, but get the older version it does the same thing and is free.

Is there a way I can see a breakdown of each used space? I have NOTHING on my Mac that I remember loading on, so I can't understand the 59.47GB worth of apps. Unless I'm oblivious and that's just preset usage from initial unboxing/setup?

late, but install disk inventory x. it'll tell you exactly whats using up your space

Better late than never. Just tried it out and found out my after effects cache was taking up 110 gigs. :x

^^ Go with a 13" Air. Probably the best laptop for anyone who's not an extremely frequent traveller, or a power user. They have the best form factor of any laptop arguably ever, plenty of juice for a normal user, and can be found cheap. 

Avoid the original models. I think you can find a 2012 for around that price with a good spec.
Thanks dude!

Thinking about getting a MacBook Air sometime soon.

I've got a 15inch pro i7 maxed out 2012 and it's going strong. Might buy a hybrid drive and give it to a relative if I buy an air.

I don't think I need all that power. I barely use any of it.

might be getting an iMac for the house also, so any power I might need, that'll have.

I don't know if I should wait to buy the air or not though

Just finished installing El Capitan on my Macbook Pro (retina).

First things i've noticed is its moving faster and split screen with apps is already clutch 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
I have a mbp from like 2004/2005. It's 2GB ram and runs on 10.5.8.

Can I get ram and other hardware and upgrade that way? Cause it's a POS right now

I have a mbp from like 2004/2005. It's 2GB ram and runs on 10.5.8.

Can I get ram and other hardware and upgrade that way? Cause it's a POS right now

the first all aluminum pros came out in 2006. Assuming its one of those you can max it out at 6gb and the sata interface is sata l which runs at 1.5 gbps current sata lll runs at 6gbps.

more memory and an ssd would probably help 10.5 run smoother but you shouldn't be upgrading, assuming you can. 4gb of ram and a 128 gb ssd would probably run you $100.

For $1000 you can get a pretty nice 13" retina

Anyone notice that the volume is significantly reduced in iTunes on El Capitan?

For example, listen to a song in your iTunes at full volume, and then listen to that same song on YouTube. It's almost twice as loud as iTunes :rolleyes. Any fixes for this?

EDIT: I'm an idiot :lol:. Forgot there was a volume control in iTunes as well as the system-wide volume level. I guess the upgrade to EC defaulted the iTunes level to 50%.

Last edited:
I have a chance to grab a brand new early-2015 MacBook (newest model) for $700 (retails for $1300). Stock 1.1GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Space Grey tooling.

I'm currently working with a Mid-2013 MacBook AIr. 1.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD. I primarily use it for web browsing, large excel spreadsheets, and Windows emulation through VMware Fusion for work. It does get a little sluggish when I have VMware running, so I'm definitely considering the upgrade.

Any opinions? I'm not up on my hardware knowledge these days but I'm assuming the .2GHz downgrade at processor will be negligible, while the RAM upgrade will be significant. Losing an inch of screen space might be a little tough though, especially since I work with some large spreadsheets and emulate Windows. However I'm not sure an inch even makes that much of a difference.

From a value standpoint, it's a no brainer. I'm just a little hesitant that the upgrade from my current setup will be worth it.

Thanks in advance for any input :pimp:.

Last edited:
I have a chance to grab a brand new early-2015 MacBook (newest model) for $700 (retails for $1300). Stock 1.1GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Space Grey tooling.

I'm currently working with a Mid-2013 MacBook AIr. 1.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD. I primarily use it for web browsing, large excel spreadsheets, and Windows emulation through VMware Fusion for work. It does get a little sluggish when I have VMware running, so I'm definitely considering the upgrade.

Any opinions? I'm not up on my hardware knowledge these days but I'm assuming the .2GHz downgrade at processor will be negligible, while the RAM upgrade will be significant. Losing an inch of screen space might be a little tough though, especially since I work with some large spreadsheets and emulate Windows. However I'm not sure an inch even makes that much of a difference.

From a value standpoint, it's a no brainer. I'm just a little hesitant that the upgrade from my current setup will be worth it.

Thanks in advance for any input
pimp.gif
I could be wrong on this but I believe upgrading your memory wont do anything for vmware. it has to do with how the program resources memory use and I believe the way vmware does it makes it so that the program can only use a certain amount regardless of how much ram you have.

as for the cpu i guess its a downgrade but if I were you, i'd take it. $700 is a great price.

Man im lovin el cap. cant wait to split screen ms word and chrome. just need to wait until ms incorporates it with el cap.

man i want a retina mbp so badly but my mid 2012 is just 
sick.gif

pimp.gif
 500 gb ssd + 8 gb ram. this thing is a soldier

Last edited:
I could be wrong on this but I believe upgrading your memory wont do anything for vmware. it has to do with how the program resources memory use and I believe the way vmware does it makes it so that the program can only use a certain amount regardless of how much ram you have.

as for the cpu i guess its a downgrade but if I were you, i'd take it. $700 is a great price.
VMware allows you to set how much of your memory it can use. I currently have it set to 2GB, so you can see why I get some lag :lol:. The actual things that I use in VMware aren't memory intensive (AS/400 emulation/Telnet), it's just that it has so little RAM to work with.

Like you said, $700 is a great price. I'm leaning towards grabbing it just because of that. If I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it and make my money back and then some.

Last edited:
VMware allows you to set how much of your memory it can use. I currently have it set to 2GB, so you can see why I get some lag
laugh.gif
. The actual things that I use in VMware aren't memory intensive (AS/400 emulation/Telnet), it's just that it has so little RAM to work with.

Like you said, $700 is a great price. I'm leaning towards grabbing it just because of that. If I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it and make my money back and then some.
grab it for sure

Back
Top Bottom