The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

**** is a BEAST

Naw. If it had an Nvidia chip maybe it would be worth the price hike, but nah.

You know what else pisses me off? Apple is cosigning this trash *** display and making it the flagship display for their new lineup

q:100

LG makes some of the most beautiful displays on the market, and they dicked apple over with that cheap looking trash.

Probably their most expensive display right now too

WATER YEW DOING APPLE

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

I got the mid 2011 pro and i upgraded the ram and put in an ssd and it's still sluggish. It was one of the models that had the issue with the logic board frying the gpu ... i think this is it with apple ... 
same here.  just had the logic board issue a month ago. crazy we've completely missed the hdmi port

I'm in the same boat. My friends love the Surface Pro.

The price hike and no SD slot and all, no thanks.

Just need to do something because my 2012 MBP is not going to be alive for much longer.

Windows 10 is damn good I won't lie BUT I`m just too deep in the Apple ecosystem to bounce completely.

Just realized Apple took away the glowing logo to use that same power for the touch strip

I will say that LG monitor is TRASH. Luckily they are "recommending" it after "working with" LG. We all know it's just a marketing thing, but the fact that it got front and center during the keynote is crazy. It's 2016, monitor should be crispy design wise as it is pixel wise.

Aparrently LG has been the supplier for the apple displays all along and I guess this is them saying the apple branded displays are officially done.

They haven't updated them in half a decade and it doesn't look like they're in a rush to.

Last edited:
LG actually supplies displays for a lot of companies. The screen on my Dell monitor is manufactured by LG. Dell just designs the housing etc.

It's the same with the iPhone screens. Apple doesn't make those I believe. Isn't it Samsung?

Correct. That's why those lawsuits between the two is always so funny to me. Two companies making money, and arguing for more.

anybody have any input on sizing down from 15' to 13' on their mbp? i feel like i could get over the loss in screen size for the saved money.

thinking ill size down and bump up the specs rather than the opposite

I can't understand any of this, but if any of you guys are into spec pr0n, AMD reddit is giving props to Apple and AMD for this

And for the ballers out there, LG has a 38inch dream display that will look 100x better with your new MacBook over that high school library display they introduced today

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38UC99-W-ultrawide-monitor

Last edited:
Mann I was so excited about this MBP update as Im on a 09 myself but the marginal spec upgrades to the 13 inch combined with the crazy high price has kinda turned me away. I do really like the Touchbar though... if it was more fairly priced I would no doubt be copping. Lack of ports is annoying as hell.

Think about this... if you want to plug your iPhone into your new MBP you need an adapter or have to shell out an extra 25 for a new USBC to Lighting cable... :smh:

Pretty ridiculous.

anybody have any input on sizing down from 15' to 13' on their mbp? i feel like i could get over the loss in screen size for the saved money.

thinking ill size down and bump up the specs rather than the opposite

It's tough to downsize. I went from 15-13 on the Mbps, because I like watching and browsing on my bed. Than when I have to do real work the 15 made a huge difference and the sound quality was much better.

I'm getting a 15, really worried that apple is going to get shook up and do a refresh with lower prices in march. Might just wait until I bump into an open box from Best Buy should be some by week one with all the YouTube reviewers out there.

I succumbed and got the 13 inch with the touchpad... upgraded the processor and memory.

I've been waiting long enough and I really need a new computer. f#ck it

Last edited:
It's tough to downsize. I went from 15-13 on the Mbps, because I like watching and browsing on my bed. Than when I have to do real work the 15 made a huge difference and the sound quality was much better.

I'm getting a 15, really worried that apple is going to get shook up and do a refresh with lower prices in march. Might just wait until I bump into an open box from Best Buy should be some by week one with all the YouTube reviewers out there.

:lol: :smh: at dudes buying and returning for YouTube views.

I agree about the transition from the 15 to 13. If you do a lot of work on your laptop without an external display then it's definitely an adjustment. If you don't need that real estate on screen then don't stick with the 15.

Thanks for the input on 15 to 13. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I'll head into a store to get a better feel for the difference in person.

If you are considering buying right now:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/28/if-y...ing-prices-starting-at-1140-360-off/?pushup=1
But the biggest discount news? Amazon has a pair of models available right now and they’re the only retailer to be dishing up some big savings: The entry-level 13-inch 256GB configuration without Touch Bar and Touch ID is down to $1,799  (Reg. $1,999).

MacMall is taking up to $35 off  the new lineup with most models dipping by only $15.

For those of you going all out with the 15-inch model, you can B&H, rather than Apple.
Also, something I found interesting and never would have thought of:

To get Touch ID to work, it requires a secure enclave. It was apparently easier for Apple to take the W1, modify it, and place it on the logic board of the MacBook than to put the secure enclave in an x86 chip.

This is HUGE from a security point of view. Now Macs, like iPhones and iPads, have a hardware-independent security device. It appears the macOS Keychain has been migrated to use the secure enclave as well. The T1 also runs the webcam on the machine, which keeps it separated from iOS and harder for hackers to access.

The Touch Bar runs independently of macOS, meaning it can run while macOS is not running (i.e. other OS'es). The touch screen is connected to it via USB.

Yeah but it you wait a year the newer better and shinier model will be dropping.

Once I am ready to get a new laptop I will do some research and make a thread on here to hopefully get some help.

^ Apple doesn't really update their flagship model every year. Waiting a year or so for a nice discount isn't too bad of an idea.

After seeing PRIME PRIME setup, I had to go cop an UW. Excuse the mess, I just wanted to get the monitor turned on :lol:

PRIME you ever have any problems running 2560x1080? Mainly getting tired of it? I wanted a 3440x1440, but I would of had to make too many upgrades. Windows video card and I believe the mac mini late 2012 can't run the resolution. I wanted to future proof it, but this monitor went on sale on Prime Day and all my current hardware could run it no problem.

Missed this post but :smokin

I haven't run into an issues on 2560x1080, at least not yet. To be honest I think this resolution is perfect for me right now. I haven't run into any situations where I've wanted more real estate on my screen.

I know for a fact that I would never upgrade if I had a 3440x1440 setup though. With 38in around how, the price on 34's are dropping rapidly. I might go for the 34in version of my display maybe in the future

My reply is so late :lol: my bad

Last edited:
Them Ultrawides are so beautiful.

Looks like reviewers are getting their hands on the non touch bar versions today. Can't wait for those reviews and comparisons just to see how much of a difference the volume does make.

Welp

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/apple-out-of-display-business/

Apple Says It's Out of the Standalone Display Business

Alongside the new MacBook Pro, Apple introduced a 27-inch 5K UltraFine Display made in partnership with LG, calling into question future plans for an Apple-branded display product.

While rumors have suggested Apple is working on a Thunderbolt Display replacement powered by an integrated GPU, Apple's LG partnership seems to indicate that Apple may have shelved plans to build a new display, something that's been confirmed by The Verge's Nilay Patel. According to Patel, Apple told him it is out of the standalone display business.

Good notes by @jsnell. I can add that Apple told me it's out of standalone display biz. https://t.co/6t1KqQODwD
— nilay patel (@reckless) October 28, 2016

The last rumors about an Apple-branded display came in June of 2016 from BuzzFeed's John Paczkowski, a reliable source, so if Apple has ceased work on its own display product, it's a decision that may have been made rather recently.

In lieu of its own display, Apple is selling the aforementioned 5K display product from LG and a second LG-branded 4K display, both of which have been designed with input from Apple and optimized for Apple products. As pointed out by Jason Snell of Six Colors, the brightness and settings of the LG display can be adjusted from the Mac, suggesting a deeper level of hardware integration than you'd get with a standard 5K display.

Priced at $1,299.95, the 5K LG UltraFine display uses multi-stream transport and connects to the new MacBook Pro using a single Thunderbolt 3 cable. Because it requires Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, it's only compatible with the MacBook Pro (and any future Macs equipped with Thunderbolt 3).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom