The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

It all depends on what you do for a living really.

Apple is really trying to push these features to video/music/media creators. But I'm a web dev, and have no real world purpose for the bar.

The most I'd use it for is a volume control. But I'd rather use the f keys for volume like I have for years now.

My new RAM gets delivered tmrw 
smokin.gif

Yo, so it's been about two weeks and recently... My mac has periodically been having the CPU work overtime and the fan is blowing loud as hell. I see that this program called... X-something is taking up a crazy load of my CPU in the "Activity Monitor". Everytime i end it, it pops right back up. What do i do?

Maybe a foolish question but are the new MBPs already in-store? I want to check out the 15" later this week. Want to spend a few minutes and look at this new 15" and the previous one they still have in-store.

Maybe a foolish question but are the new MBPs already in-store? I want to check out the 15" later this week. Want to spend a few minutes and look at this new 15" and the previous one they still have in-store.

I don't think so. I was at EC Apple the other day and none of the new MBPs were out on display

NT MAC brethren, i have a technical question for you.

I got a mid 2010 MBP core 2 duo upgraded to Samsung Pro 256 SSD and 8GB RAM running MacOS Sierra. I've replaced the battery like 4 times in the past few years...most recent being a couple months ago and the thing still can't last more than...idk an hour.

Now i'm pretty good with computers, no humble brag, but I haven't the slightest idea what is happening. This was a 10hr laptop new back in 2010 and I know the SSD draws less power than the standard destructo disc HDD.

I've googled this issue to no avail. The only thing I can think of is that there is a motherboard issue that destroys even the newest of batteries. That or the batteries that i buy are just too old and are already past their prime...

I should note that i do feel the laptop works harder than ever due to newest OSX and Chrome browser. Niketalk runs with a LOT of lag for me. I think today's internet and software are too much for a core 2 duo but that is only a theory. if it comes down to replacing the motherboard i'll prolly just jump on the 2016 MBP later on.

thoughts?

I got a mid 2010 MBP core 2 duo upgraded to Samsung Pro 256 SSD and 8GB RAM running MacOS Sierra. I've replaced the battery like 4 times in the past few years...most recent being a couple months ago and the thing still can't last more than...idk an hour.

Now i'm pretty good with computers, no humble brag, but I haven't the slightest idea what is happening. This was a 10hr laptop new back in 2010 and I know the SSD draws less power than the standard destructo disc HDD.

I've googled this issue to no avail. The only thing I can think of is that there is a motherboard issue that destroys even the newest of batteries. That or the batteries that i buy are just too old and are already past their prime...

I should note that i do feel the laptop works harder than ever due to newest OSX and Chrome browser. Niketalk runs with a LOT of lag for me. I think today's internet and software are too much for a core 2 duo but that is only a theory. if it comes down to replacing the motherboard i'll prolly just jump on the 2016 MBP later on.

thoughts?
No expert but I too have a 2010 MBP. I wanna say around 2014 my motherboard crapped the bed and I went to the Apple Store where they serviced my laptop replacing the Motherboard, Screen and Battery. 2 years later it's sitll running fine and I also replaced the Ram and HD with SSHD in 2013. No expert again but Id if you haven't checked with them it might be worth a shot. Out of warranty devices they charge a flat rate to repair. Was like 250-275 for all the above repairs. Hope this helps 

Okay, i found the program name. It's called "VTdecorderXPCservice". It's currently taking up 237.0 CPU % .Everytime i end it in the Activity Monitor, it pops right up. what do i do?

No expert but I too have a 2010 MBP. I wanna say around 2014 my motherboard crapped the bed and I went to the Apple Store where they serviced my laptop replacing the Motherboard, Screen and Battery. 2 years later it's sitll running fine and I also replaced the Ram and HD with SSHD in 2013. No expert again but Id if you haven't checked with them it might be worth a shot. Out of warranty devices they charge a flat rate to repair. Was like 250-275 for all the above repairs. Hope this helps 

Yea sounds like he's having logic board issues.
2011s come with an extended warranty on the GPU, Apple will replace the logic board and refurb the computer for you free until the end of the year.

2011s come with an extended warranty on the GPU, Apple will replace the logic board and refurb the computer for you free until the end of the year.

thoughts?

appreciate the help!

Man... Upgrading my RAM from 4GB to 8GB makes such a difference. Good enough upgrade to hold me over for a few more years 
laugh.gif

I think I'm pretty much dead set on the new 15inch. I wanted a 13 with 16gb, so I figure why not get the 15 with two extra cores and the standard ram I want. The baseline will be more than enough computing power for me for years to come.

The question now is to apple care or no apple care :lol: :smh:

Def get Apple care man, you don't want to see a bill just to replace a trackpad or USB. It's worth it for the laptops I don't get it for the iPhones though.

If you have an American express or discover card they extend warranties for another year. Used it on a mbp two years back with a messed up trackpad a month after apple warranty expired.

Forgot about that extended warranty thing. I'm assuming if I purchased AppleCare then it would be 4 years total?

Really all 2011's? regardless of when your applecare expires? 

Can you add on a apple Care after you purchase?
I believe you have a year from the original purchase date to add Apple Care coverage. Not sure what the procedure is though. I assume you'd have to provide proof that it's still in working condition to get the coverage.

Yeah, you can add AppleCare for Macs within the first year. It's only the AppleCare+ for iOS devices that is limited to 60 days.

Cool. I'll probably add it after my year is up. Already submitted my preorder and my account is already hurting from that $2300 deduction (thankfully I used my friend student info)

Back
Top Bottom