The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Came up on a mid 2014 15" macbook in mint condition from a client of mine...

might be looking to sell as I already have a 13"

Last edited:
Is this your first Mac?

No, it isn't.

Update: Set up my MBP and my initial reaction is that the space gray is nice and the build is solid as usual.

The keyboard is really different than past keyboards, but I am typing with ease...

I'm definitely happy with my purchase:smokin

Last edited:
Ditto on using Office for Mac.

@LuckyLuchiano
 Try holding off on an iMac, if you can. They are suppose to be receiving a refresh real soon.

Side note: My 2016 non-touch Macbook Pro has arrived and just have to pick it up from the front office :pimp:  

It'll feel good to have a computer at home again...Never used my phone as much as I did to browse the internet :lol:

I`m gonna hold off lol, don't feel like going through the hassle.

I`m gonna hold off lol, don't feel like going through the hassle.
iMac's are beautiful, though. I had the first gen 27-inch and that still running strong when I sold it this year.

If you're going to be doing a lot of your browsing and other cpu work from a desk, the 27-inch isn't a bad option to go with.

iMac's are beautiful, though. I had the first gen 27-inch and that still running strong when I sold it this year.

If you're going to be doing a lot of your browsing and other cpu work from a desk, the 27-inch isn't a bad option to go with.

I have dual 27 in monitors lol.

Went by Apple tonight. Still no new MBP in, even the worker that was helping me said the new MBP is pointless in his opinion. Suggested to just do the current one.

Read a short review of a guy who does high-end video development and he was praising the 15" Touchbar MBP. Said it outperforms a bunch of higher specced Windows machines out there. Not my line of work but I found it pretty interesting.

Last edited:
I'm guessing he meant that it outperforms Windows laptops with better processors/RAM. He didn't give specifics on the specs of the MBP he was using or the Windows laptops he was comparing it to.

The point was the Apple's software/OS is programmed much more efficiently to get the most out of the hardware even though it may not be the newest/most powerful. That isn't too much of a stretch though and isn't necessarily a knock on Windows. Apple has the luxury of being the only one who produces Mac laptops and the macOS so they can tailor the software/hardware to work perfectly together. Whereas Windows has to be much more flexible since so many OEMs implement their OS with different hardware configurations and other factors.

Last edited:
For those with older Macbook Pros with CD rom drives, have you guys upgraded the ram, took out the optical drive and replace with a solid state hard drive, as well as the OEM hard drive with another solid state hard drive? If so, how did you like the outcome?

Was looking at getting the stuff from macsales.com and do it on my 2012 model MBP.

Last edited:
For those with older Macbook Pros with CD rom drives, have you guys upgraded the ram, took out the optical drive and replace with a solid state hard drive, as well as the OEM hard drive with another solid state hard drive? If so, how did you like the outcome?

Was looking at getting the stuff from macsales.com and do it on my 2012 model MBP.
Two SSDs is definitely optimal, but not really needed. General consensus is to move the OG hard drive to where the optical drive was, and put the SSD where the hard drive was. Then put the OS/Apps on the SSD, and other data files on the HDD.

I've yet to see anyone be disappointed in the outcome. Every video or article I've seen have noted significant increases in performance.

I'd recommend shopping around as opposed to going with macsales.com though. Especially with Black Friday coming up. You'll be able to find better deals for RAM and even the bracket for the optical bay on Amazon. Newegg is also good. Slickdeals usually has a few deals per week for SSDs.

I'm actually looking to buy a mid-2010 White MacBook to do this to. Those are my favorite MacBooks ever :lol:. Should be able to grab the laptop, max out the RAM to 16GB and add a 250GB SSD for around $300.

Last edited:
I hate those LED light up keyboards that people use on desktops.

Random but I frequent desk setup reddits and check them on YouTube and tons of people love those multicolor led keyboards and mice.

Tacky af

I didn't see the need to remove the optical drive, even though I haven't use it in years. Maxed out the RAM replaced the HDD with a SSD. Start up and application launch is faster. Lightroom workflow is a bit better as well in regards to rendering images. This is also a 2008 MBP with the older Core 2 Duo proccessor. The 2012 has a the better Core i3/5/7 processor.

I didn't see the need to remove the optical drive, even though I haven't use it in years. Maxed out the RAM replaced the HDD with a SSD. Start up and application launch is faster. Lightroom workflow is a bit better as well in regards to rendering images. This is also a 2008 MBP with the older Core 2 Duo proccessor. The 2012 has a the better Core i3/5/7 processor.

Two SSDs is definitely optimal, but not really needed. General consensus is to move the OG hard drive to where the optical drive was, and put the SSD where the hard drive was. Then put the OS/Apps on the SSD, and other data files on the HDD.

I've yet to see anyone be disappointed in the outcome. Every video or article I've seen have noted significant increases in performance.

I'd recommend shopping around as opposed to going with macsales.com though. Especially with Black Friday coming up. You'll be able to find better deals for RAM and even the bracket for the optical bay on Amazon. Newegg is also good. Slickdeals usually has a few deals per week for SSDs.

I'm actually looking to buy a mid-2010 White MacBook to do this to. Those are my favorite MacBooks ever :lol:. Should be able to grab the laptop, max out the RAM to 16GB and add a 250GB SSD for around $300.
Thanks, fellas.

I'm so behind on this tech stuff. Lol. Just copped a Seagate USB hard drive to do time machine backup today.

Probably going to do what you did and just get one SSD. Mine is mid 2012s. Surprisingly the ram is 8GB already. Would've bet it was 4.

If the fan starts overheating at times especially when running mulltiple programs and apps, what would be the culperate usually?

I'm more than willing to bet that the touch bar functionality will come over to the keyboards next year.

THAT would be useful and amazing. I'd pay money for that.

But not on my laptop...

I'm sure they'd charge $200 for the magic keyboard + touchbar though..

I need a mousepad.

Back
Top Bottom