The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

The Mac/MBP + iPad Pro combo seems to be undefeated with the Duet app.

Microcenter has the 15 in for 1800 let me check out the site now maybe I can grab an open box.

Edit: found an open box for $2100 2015 15in 512GB SSD 16GB RAM . I might pull the trigger . Gonna look around first.

$2289 after tax open box think its worth it? Or cop a used one on ebay?
If you don't mind buying used then that's the way to go. Maxed out 2015 MBPs (2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB) have been ending right around $2k over the past few weeks.
Speaking of this, I just purchased a mid-2015 MBP 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB for $2100 from eBay. Been looking around for days and landed on this one and won the auction :smokin

can't wait for it to get here

I think I was watching that auction congrats. Gonna hold off as long as possible without a laptop.

That setup posted is pretty sweet and clean

Last edited:
That setup is clean...I'd do it, but I don't have any space for a workstation anymore.

What stood out to me most in the Verge review is the terrible battery life. Next MBP purchase will definitely be a 2015 MBP maxed out.

I dont know if this is important to some of you but Apple is using the cheaper Intel i7 without Iris Pro graphics on their 15 inch MBP.

I'm trying to upgrade to Sierra, but:

What gives?

Last edited:
Computer too old, Apple's way of phasing them out and pushing you to buy a newer one.

A friend of mine offered me a free 2008 iMac, but it's telling me the same thing

MacOS reqs:

MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

Ahh gotcha :smh: , I was trying to upgrade one of the older ones that I use from time to time. I think its a 2008, I have PLENTY of memory on it too :rolleyes

Thanks for the heads up tho fellas

2011 MBP user here too. With all these changes I might actually go back to the pc side for my next laptop. Can't handle being forced to buy all these extra accessories. Also looking for a more gaming machine.

:lol: @ a lot of people opting for the '15 MBP over the new joints. Apple dun goofed, but they'll never admit it.

Figured I'd get in on an iMac before they screw that up, too. Grabbed a refurb 27" 5k joint with a 2 TB fusion drive. Will probably swap it out later and go full SSD.

Anyone know the best brand to use for RAM upgrades? Looking to boost mine up to 24 GB from 8.

Looks like most places are only offering series 1 sales. Check the Black Friday thread, I believe Target was one of them.

MacOS reqs:

MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
People really don't understand OS requirements.
laugh.gif
 @ pushing you to buy a new one. Same logic people have with the iPhones
mean.gif

People really don't understand OS requirements. :lol:  @ pushing you to buy a new one. Same logic people have with the iPhones :smh:
Right. A lot of them that are listed are approaching 7 years of use and still have support. That's a great run for a computer

laugh.gif
@ a lot of people opting for the '15 MBP over the new joints. Apple dun goofed, but they'll never admit it.

Figured I'd get in on an iMac before they screw that up, too. Grabbed a refurb 27" 5k joint with a 2 TB fusion drive. Will probably swap it out later and go full SSD.

Anyone know the best brand to use for RAM upgrades? Looking to boost mine up to 24 GB from 8.
I've used both Crucial and OWC. Never had any issues with either.

I think I went with OWC because of their warranty and price.

Dedicated graphics instead of integrated? I'm not too good with the graphics chips on these machines.

Iris Pro is integrated

Its not that big of a deal but Apple is going backwards with the integrated graphics.

I think the 2011 Macs will last another 5 years

:lol: @ a lot of people opting for the '15 MBP over the new joints. Apple dun goofed, but they'll never admit it.

If you haven't I recommend you looking into what it takes to swap out those parts on an iMac. I have a 27" one with 32gb and just a 1tb fusion. I was considering putting a true SSD in and looked up the guide and figured I didn't even want to bother with it.

In short, you have to take a plastic wedge tool and pry the entire screen off to get to it and then reseal it :stoneface:

I'll post the guide when I get back to my desk.

People really don't understand OS requirements. :lol:  @ pushing you to buy a new one. Same logic people have with the iPhones :smh:
Exactly. Can't be mad that your 8 year old Mac can't get the latest update anymore. Just imagine what an 8 year old windows PC is like :x

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom