The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by DC ShoeDon

Ok, people. I've just gotten my Mac back after my Hard-drive crashed last friday. Bought it Mid 07. Has anyone had this problem? Apple fixed for free but I'm left with a buttnekkid Mac.

My dudes, The Don is need of my Mac brethen..............
Yep, happened to me in January with a Macbook about the same age as yours. At the time I didn't have an external hard drive and losteverything.

Dam I wish I knew how to change icons and all that.. I downloaded candybar like 2 weeks ago but I dont know where to start.

you open it. drag and drop the icon to the one u want to change. hit install/change w/e option it gives you and you're done.

Originally Posted by KiNGJRMZair23

Help! i accidently deleted my Preferences application, how do I gat it back?

download a free trial of Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.) and then follow these steps.

insert the first grey install DVD
open Pacifist and click "Open Apple Install Discs"
click skip when it asks you for the second install DVD and then insert the first again
search for "system preferences" in the toolbar and press enter
click the Install button in the toolbar and supply the admininstator password

System Preferences will then be reinstalled. in Leopard System Preferences is version 5.0 right now so the version on the Leopard install disc wont beoutdated.

How do I get icons I want tho.. Like.. lets say a Hundreds icon for example?

Sorry, I havent had time to mess with it until now.

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

google. deviantart.com -> mac icons

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

Search on Deviantart.com
Kneenoh,
justinvincent,
or Niketalk
wink.gif

I just got the 13" 2.53 GHz MBP today. It's gonna replace my 17" PowerBook G4 (giving it to my mom). So far I'm loving the smaller size. MyPB feels so weird and gigantic now. I like the black keys, they make the illuminated keyboard actually useful. My PB had silver keys and it was easier to seethe keys in low light with out the backlight. I was gonna ask about all the missing images in threads but I guess it's just a safari thing.

Roxio Toast Titanium v.10.0.2 Retail

2ih4g8j.png

Toast Titanium 10.0.2 Robust disc burning software.

Toast Titanium goes way beyond the very basic burning in the Mac OS and iLife software, and sets the standard for burning CDs, DVDs, and now Blu-ray discs on the Mac. Create superior sounding audio CDs with smooth crossfades and transitions. Enjoy your TV shows anywhere with exclusive TiVoToGo and EyeTV burning. Convert and export video for an iPod, PSP, mobile phone, and more. Burn files of any size, and automatically catalog the contents of your discs. Copy your audio CDs, movies and DVDs. There is no easier or faster way to save, share, and enjoy your digital media on disc.

WHAT'S NEW

Version 10.0.2:
  • Resolves crash issue that may occur with some FLAC audio files
  • Resolves issue when converting QuickTime movies with text tracks
  • Improved handling of corrupt PCM audio packets
Release date.: 04/10/2009
Type.........: MAC
Format.......: DMG
Files........: 1CD
Website......:
Code:
Code:
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/titanium/overview.html

wink.gif

I have a question about the batteries in the new Macbook Pros. I understand after a certain amount of use (5 yrs or 5000 recharges or w/e) it dies. That beingsaid after the battery dies, will I still be able to use the MBP using the AC adapter no problem? And another question is, if I am a guy that usually has myMBP on my desk using the AC Adapter, wouldn't that make the battery last longer since I'm not using the transporting power of the battery, or would theexpected life be the same? Thanks.

hey guys.... when download pr0n and apps from online, you know how people split the file into multiples... use this app to join them back into 1

HJSplit GUI
for Java
hjsplitjava_g1.gif
A Java implementation of HJSplit with agraphical user-interface (gui) similar to the Windows version. Runs on any platform which has a Java virtual machine installed, which can be: Windows, Linux,Mac, Solaris, etc.
Download: hjsplit_g.jar (137 Kb)
Created by: H�kan Gustavsson

somebody requested the best free apps for mac.... so here are some more... sorry if some of u have seen these before

IM - Instant Messaging
adium_icon.png

Adium
Why install three separate instant messengers when you can connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo and GoogleTalk in a single, beautiful app? Plus it's 100% free andopen source. Everybody needs Adium.
Download Page

Video

Miro
miro_icon.png

Miro can play any video format (much more than quicktime), download torrents, permanently save videos from YouTube, and watch video podcasts. Beautifulinterface, 100% free and open source.
Download Page

VLC
vlc_icon.gif

Plays more video files than most players: Quicktime, AVI, DIVX, OGG, and more. Great for playing DVDs too.
Download Page

Application Launching

Quicksilver
quicksilver_icon.png

Quicksilver lets you start applications (and do just about everything) with a few quick taps of your fingers. Warning: start using Quicksilver and youwon't be able to imagine using a Mac without it.
Download Page

Auto Update

AppFresh
appfresh_icon.png

Keeps all of your Mac applications up-to-date, automatically. Still in beta, but so necessary.
Download Page

Email

SpamSieve
spamsieve_icon.png

Anybody who uses "Mail" for Mac needs this. After a few days of training, SpamSieve will obliterate junk mail and leave good emails unscathed. Free for 30 days, then worth every penny.
Download Page

Writing and Office

xPad
xpad_icon.png

For most writing a word processor is overkill. xPad is the perfect simple alternative. Your notes sit in a sidebar and save automatically when you quit. Way better than stickies or TextEdit.
Download Page

Writeroom
writeroom_icon.png

A full-screen writing space that eliminates distractions. If you use your Mac for writing, you have to try this.
Download Page

OpenOffice
openoffice_icon.png

OpenOffice is a full-featured, office suite compatible with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. Plus it's 100% free and open source. Friends don't let friends pay for Microsoft Office.
Download Page

Reading (e.g. books)

Tofu
tofu_icon.png

Makes reading on your computer much more like reading a book. Drag or paste text into Tofu and it arranges everything in crisp, classy columns that scroll side to side (not up and down). Ergonomic reading for Mac.
Download Page

Software pack

MacLibre
maclibre_icon.png

Installs a pack of great open source apps (including many on this page) and keeps them updated for you.
Download Page

Privacy

Vidalia
vidalia_icon.png

Rock-solid anonymous web browsing for everyone. This TOR frontend keeps you anonymous on the web using open source software and military-grade techniques. To use with Firefox see: TorButton.
Download Page

Todo Lists

Basecamp
basecamp_icon.png

This is web software, but it will become as central to your work experience as any desktop app. Seriously, Basecamp will make you more productive and change the way your organization works. Try it!
Webpage

Running Windows Software on Macs

Parallels
parallels_icon.png

Run Windows programs on your computer in their own window at full speed. You have a top of the line Intel chip; you deserve it.
Download Page

Q Emulator
q_icon.png

Not as polished as Parallels, but 100% free and open source. Lets you run Windows on G4 and G5 Macs too (though this will be slow).
Download Page

Video Ripping / Burning

Burn
Burn.png

Burns to DVD, VCD, and SVCD. Take your downloaded videos and burn them to disks you can watch on regular DVD players. For VCD and SVCD you don't even need a DVD burner. Free and open source!
Download Page

Handbrake
handbrake_icon.png

DVD ripper with MPEG-4 / H.264 encoding. The simplest way to save DVDs on your computer.
Download Page

Peer-to-Peer Filesharing

Transmission
transmission_icon.png

A rock solid torrent downloader. 100% free and open source (no annoying nags).
Download Page

xTorrent
xtorrent_icon.png

Integrated search makes this an awesome Bittorrent client, and makes you very happy to have a Mac.
Download Page

SolarSeek
solarseek_icon.png

Soulseek filesharing for Mac. Never be without music. 100% free and open source.
Download Page

Graphics and Photo Editing

Seashore
seashore.jpg

"Photoshop" your photos without buying Photoshop. 100% free and open source, based on the open source image editor "Gimp".
Download Page

Xee
19978.png

Fast image viewer and image browser.
Download Page

Gimp (Photoshop Equivalent)
release-stable.png

GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages. (more...)
Download Page

Inkscape
inkscape.png

Inkscape is a vector graphics editing program, a free and open source alternative to Adobe Illustrator. (If you want an alternative to Photoshop, try GIMP or Seashore.) It will import JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and exports PNG as well as multiple vector-based formats.
Download Page

iPod Ripping

Senuti
senuti.gif

Get music off of your iPod onto any computer.
Download Page

iPodDisk
ipoddisk_icon.png

Copy music off your iPod in the finder, like a regular disk drive.
Download Page

Telephone

Talk with any Skype user for free. Buy some credits and you can call any number in the world, cheap. Perfect for when your cellphone is out of batteries... or on the other side of the room, lazy.
Download Page

Alarm Clock

Aurora
aurora_icon.png

Use your Mac as an alarm clock and wake up to your favorite music. Wakes from sleep, so no need to leave your computer on all night.
Download Page

Nintendo Emulator

Sixty Force
sixtyforce_icon.png

Trouble finding good games for you Mac? Then turn it into a Nintendo64! MarioKart works great, even on a Powerbook G4.
Download Page

Nestopia
nestopia_icon.png

Kick it old school with this NES emulator for Mac.
Download Page

Music

Ableton Live
abletonlive_icon.png

For anyone who ever wanted to make a remix, DJ a party, or play with beats. A great manual, good tutorials and a super slick interface make Live so easy to learn. Free demo (hint: use AudioHijack for saving).
Download Page

iEatBrainz
ieatbrainz_icon.png

iEatBrainz automatically adds the right song, artist, and album info to your iTunes music. No more messy iTunes Library.
Download Page

Maps

Google Earth
googleearth_icon.png

The 3D map of the world that just gets better and better...and creepier. Total must-have.
Download Page

Wifi Scanning

KisMac
kismac_icon.png

The best wireless scanner for Mac. Find wireless access when you're on the go. 100% free and open source.
Download Page

RSS Readers

NetNewsWire
netnewswire_icon.png

The slick integration of tabbed browsing makes this RSS reader our top pick.
Download Page

Vienna
vienna_icon.png

Very nice, native RSS client. 100% free and open source.
Download Page

FTP / SFTP

Transmit
transmit_icon.png

The best FTP program for Mac.
Download Page

Cyberduck
cyberduck_icon.png

Very good all-around ftp program. 100% free and open source.
Download Page

Utilities

The Unarchiver
unarchiver_icon.png

Uncompress RAR, 7zip, tar, and bz2 files on your Mac. Many new Mac users will be puzzled the first time they download a RAR file. Do them a favor and download UnRarX for them!
Download Page

IRC

Colloquy
icon.png

Great IRC client. 100% free and open source.
Download Page

Neo Office
neooffice.png

Almost everyone needs an office suite, NeoOffice is a free, open source office suite based on OpenOffice. NeoOffice has Mac equivalents of word processing software like Word, a spreadsheet equivalent of Excel and more.
NeoOffice will open Word documents, it handles Excel macros and it will also support all of your OSX fonts - which gives it a leg up on OpenOffice for PC. If you're looking for an office suite but don't want to shell out for the Microsoft stuff, NeoOffice might be just the thing for you.
Download Page

Google Gears
ggears.png

Everybody love neat little "Web 2.0″ applications. Only problem with them is that they only really do you any good as long as you are online. Leave it to Google to take care of that little technicality.
Today Google launched 'Google Gears'. Google Gears effectively eliminates the online requirement for Web apps. Imagine that… offline capability for web apps. I wonder how long before Google Spreadsheets and some of their other 'office-style' applications start taking advantage of this. Here's some more info on Google Gears.
Screenshot
Download Page

Centerstage
17640.png

Full-screen interface for playing audio, video, and photos. Connect it to your TV.
Download Page

Freemind
19325.png

An innovative application for note taking and outlining. Takes time to get used to, but some people swear by it.
Download Page

Personal Finance

Cashbox
cashbox.jpg

Simple, easy to use application for managing personal finances.
Download Page

Buddi
buddi.gif

A personal finance and budgeting program, aimed at those who have little or no financial background.
Download Page

More Web Browsing

Shiira
shiira_icon.png

Fast, nice web browser.
Download Page

SunriseBrowser
title_logo.gif

Good webkit-based browser created with special tools for web designers.
Download Page

Seamonkey
project-seamonkey.png

Full-featured Mozilla browser, used to be called 'Mozilla Suite'.
Download Page

PDF Viewer

Skim
skimIcon.png

PDF viewer.
Download Page

Electric Sheep
electric_sheep_icon.png

Immersive, trippy screensaver.
Download Page

Tomato Torrent
tomato.png

Download torrents. Nice and simple.
Download Page

Blender
blender_icon.png

Powerful 3D Modeling software.
Download Page

Planetariums and Outer Space

Celestia
celestia_icon.png

Open-source 3D planetarium software. Akin to traveling through space (outer space).
Download Page

Stellarium
rotate.php

"Renders realistic skys in realtime." See what you would see if your city wasn't so light-polluted. Used in real planetariums.
Download Page

Comic Viewer

Jomic
logo.png

Read digital comics.
Download Page

Games

Cube
19822.png

Nice first-person shooter.
Download Page

Marathon: Aleph One
alephone_icon82x82.png

Engine for Bungie's free FPS series Marathon. Play online, solo play with rich original story, many total conversions and thousands of maps.
Download Page

Zombies
head.gif

3D zombie strategy game.
Download Page

Armagetron Advanced
armagetron_icon.png

3D Tron game.
Download Page

BZFlag
10891.png

First-person tank game.
Download Page

Battle for Wesnoth
wesnoth-logo.jpg

Fantasy / Strategy Game
Download Page

enjoy fam
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

24cwoiv.jpg

The Missing Sync for BlackBerry, version 2.0, introduces wireless sync via Bluetooth, and automatic wireless sync via Proximity Sync, so you can keep all of your contacts, calendars, music, photos, videos, notes and more always in sync.
Macworld Magazine gave The Missing Sync 4.5 out of 5 mice.

Synchronize contacts and calendars
The Missing Sync for BlackBerry reliably syncs contacts and calendars, and even tasks, from BlackBerry devices with iCal, Address Book and Entourage via Bluetooth or USB.

Sync with iPhoto and transfer video
The Missing Sync for BlackBerry synchronizes pictures and iPhoto albums, and transfers videos, to and from your BlackBerry. Your favorite memories are synchronized.

Automatic sync via Bluetooth
Automatically synchronize data wirelessly between your BlackBerry and Mac using Proximity Sync. Your data syncs whenever your BlackBerry and Mac are within range of one another.

Sync iTunes playlists to BlackBerry
Enjoy robust and reliable syncing of iTunes playlists with your BlackBerry so you always have your favorite music with you. Also sync album art, podcasts and audiobooks too.

Synchronize your notes and memos
Easily sync notes and memos on the BlackBerry with Entourage and Mark/Space Notebook on the Mac via Bluetooth, with Proximity Sync or via USB.

Text message and call log archiving
Now you can backup and archive text messages and call logs from your BlackBerry to your Mac for searching, sorting and safekeeping.

WHAT'S NEW IN VERSION 2.0:
* Wirelessly sync data via Bluetooth
* Automatic wireless sync via Proximity Sync
* Transfer videos from the Mac to BlackBerry
* Transfer videos from the BlackBerry to the Mac
* Sync iTunes playlists and album artwork №
* Archive text messages
* Archive call logs

More Info:
http://www.markspace.com/products/bl...pdt_blackberry
http://www.markspace.com/products/b...c-mac-software.html?source=macupdt_blackberry
wink.gif

Originally Posted by TheRav4

I have a question about the batteries in the new Macbook Pros. I understand after a certain amount of use (5 yrs or 5000 recharges or w/e) it dies. That being said after the battery dies, will I still be able to use the MBP using the AC adapter no problem? And another question is, if I am a guy that usually has my MBP on my desk using the AC Adapter, wouldn't that make the battery last longer since I'm not using the transporting power of the battery, or would the expected life be the same? Thanks.

Anybody? It's alright, I guess I'll ask one of those Mac guys at their store.

good stuff @ dadoc

anyone use TuneUp or know of any other apps like it? I need to clean up/ organize my itunes library and if I did it manually it'd take forever. Any help?

Back
Top Bottom