The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by Icecixz

Is there a way to connect a Macbook Pro to a HDTV wirelessly without Apple TV or MacMini?

do you have a ps3 or 360? 
are you just trying to watch movies and music and stuff? 

you can use playnow or connect360 but you gotta pay 15$-20$ 

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Is there a way to connect a Macbook Pro to a HDTV wirelessly without Apple TV or MacMini?

I use PS3Media Server to stream my movies and it works wonders. I want to surf the web, play hulu and browse pictures on my HDTV thru my macbook for when my family comes over i can just display stuff on the TV for them to see.

Originally Posted by OkieDoqui

Considering getting a Macbook Pro for graduation this summer. Any suggestions on where to buy? Looking for the 15 inch, with fast enough hardware to run Final Cut Studio.

at apple and get the student discount bruh

I use PS3Media Server to stream my movies and it works wonders. I want to surf the web, play hulu and browse pictures on my HDTV thru my macbook for when my family comes over i can just display stuff on the TV for them to see.
Do you have a DVI or VGA port on the back of your TV?
Get an adapter, plug it in and have a wireless keyboard/mouse and you will be set. I do it all the time with my external monitor.

he wants to do it wirelessly^ but yeah a mini display to hdmi would be great it basically turns your tv into the monitor

Thanks guys for all you help! Yeah i think i would just go the wired route. Im pretty sure they are going to release some good connections for the thunderbolt port.

Thanks guys for all you help! Yeah i think i would just go the wired route. Im pretty sure they are going to release some good connections for the thunderbolt port.

I know the tech you need but its $$$ and requires Patience, is it worth it, not really.

Wireless USB to VGA Kit

Must use Win xp, vista, or 7 with this hardware, so gonna have to bootcamp your Macbook.
No support for OS X.

Originally Posted by AusZero

capricdragon wrote:
Thanks AusZero.
So you suggest I connect the Mini-DVI to the back of my Mac?  but the problem is the Mac is in the adjacent room.  Hence the reason the previous home owner installed the Composite cable wall jack.

So how does the Mini-DVI work in conjunction with my wall jack?

My Mac: 27-inch; 3.06GHz; 10.6.7 Mac OS X

Given your current setup there is no simple way to do this well.  The easy solution is to use it as is but you're looking at a 480i mac resolution with left and right audio.  If I were in your shoes I would open up the wall plates and use the existing cables to pull an hdmi cable through.  Then using a $30 adapter you can send full surround sound and 1080p video to your tv.  You could probably use your wireless mouse and keyboard from the other room as well.  This solution requires some handy work but is not too hard. If you're just into downloaded video or music and have a ps3 or xbox you can do what the goat said and get an app for your mac called media link that can handle all that and does it well

Thanks Goat. Thanks AusZero.
I'll try the app/wireless route for now since I already have a Xbox360 (w/ wifi) connected to my A/V receiver in the TV room.
The HDMI and Display port adapter straight to the TV (through the wall) doesn't sound bad either.

My MBP experts, I have a situation and wanted to know if I did some harm to my computer.
So I djed a club saturday night. Everything was working great as always (I love my mac). The end of the night comes and I shut down my computer. Before I can do that, a sign pops up telling me I have updates to do and If I want to them now. I have to 

pack up everything else so I have time and I click on "INSTALL AND RESTART". The MBP was doing its thing then this blue screen pops up with a spinning circle thing. Again I thought it was doing its thing so I let it be. 10 Min later that same screen is on

and Im already done packing (it never takes that long to do any updates). The security guards are waiting for me to leave so I hold the POWER button until my comp shuts off I close it and leave. When I got home, I started up my comp and everything

seems to be ok. But I only had it on for like 5 min. 

DO YOU GUYS THINK I DID SOME KIND OF DAMAGE TO MY COMPUTER? 

^You're fine. Maybe now is the time to do a backup (your choice on how you do it. I prefer Time Machine). Then hit that Apple icon on the menubar and hit Software Update to re-try the update.

By any chance, did you get a look at what needed to be updated?

Originally Posted by AlexGod

Originally Posted by OkieDoqui

Considering getting a Macbook Pro for graduation this summer. Any suggestions on where to buy? Looking for the 15 inch, with fast enough hardware to run Final Cut Studio.

at apple and get the student discount bruh
I was going to buy from Apple Directly using my student discount also. 
Instead I'm going through Amazon. They have the model I was looking at for $90 less with no tax and no shipping charges. In the end I end up saving roughly $157. And I am very, very comfortable ordering a big purchase like this from Amazon. 

I will be buying my Apple Care from Apple as the student discount is cheaper for it than it is on Amazon.

Hope that helps. 

I'm leaning towards the lower 15 inch option, I was wondering if the slightly higher option with the faster cpu and video card would be worth it?

I also don't have any problem buying things off Amazon, think it's a great option in Cali for me especially since tax is so high. I was considering waiting till they start their back to school promos so i could get an ipod touch but the kind of work I'm looking for I would need my own laptop now.

How much is apple care w/ the student discount?

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

^You're fine. Maybe now is the time to do a backup (your choice on how you do it. I prefer Time Machine). Then hit that Apple icon on the menubar and hit Software Update to re-try the update.

Sorry man I did not. Every since I got a MAC, I stopped checking what updates are being updated. So I just click on the "UPDTAE NOW". Is that bad?
As far as back up goes, I back up my music once a month. Im going to start doing it once a week though.  I add a lot of music every week. 

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

should i get the imac 27in n upgrade it to i7 for 200 more? is it worthy?

For everyday use, I wouldn't even get the 27"— I'd just get the Mini and buy your peripherals separately.
If you're doing RAM heavy design/video/3D/4D/music production, go for it.

FWIW—

(27-inch)

TLpOp.png

Originally Posted by djaward

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Sorry man I did not. Every since I got a MAC, I stopped checking what updates are being updated. So I just click on the "UPDTAE NOW". Is that bad?
As far as back up goes, I back up my music once a month. Im going to start doing it once a week though.  I add a lot of music every week. 
I think your all good, I had something similar happen and mine was mine....

Originally Posted by 23MichaelJordan45

Get an adapter, plug it in and have a wireless keyboard/mouse and you will be set. I do it all the time with my external monitor.

Can you post links of these devices? I have my ps3 connected through the HDMI in my tv. I have my macbook that I have movies and documentaries on that I want to watch on the 62 in rather then the laptop. How do i get this done using the PS3?

Originally Posted by JRThumper85

Can you post links of these devices? I have my ps3 connected through the HDMI in my tv. I have my macbook that I have movies and documentaries on that I want to watch on the 62 in rather then the laptop. How do i get this done using the PS3?
http://www.buy.com/prod/m...9/loc/108/211242892.html

Oh, I did not know they made these. I may have to buy one to connect to my HDTV, instead of a DVI/VGA.

Oh, I did not know they made these. I may have to buy one to connect to my HDTV, instead of a DVI/VGA.
yeah they are pretty sweet, keep in mind only the 2010 models and up support sound and video...so if you have a older model you will need the dvi,vga 

yeah they are pretty sweet, keep in mind only the 2010 models and up support sound and video...so if you have a older model you will need the dvi,vga 
You really dont have to buy those things. I run a program called PS3 Media Server. It uses WiFi to connect your laptop to PS3 wirelessly. I use it to stream my movies i have on my Macbook Pro. Here's the Link: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/  Mac and Windows supported.

You really dont have to buy those things. I run a program called PS3 Media Server. It uses WiFi to connect your laptop to PS3 wirelessly. I use it to stream my movies i have on my Macbook Pro. Here's the Link: http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/  Mac and Windows supported.

Joe B's method seems a lot easier then reading all that stuff. Seems cooler to have it connect via wifi but then again easier to connect a few items together.
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom