The Official Metal Gear Solid 4 Thread Vol. Snake's Last Hurrah | It's Out | Don't Post Spoilers!

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

Can't wait.

But PLEASE DON'T POST SPOILERS IN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway what comes in the LE again? Just the OST and Making Of? Someone post pics when they get theirs.

Had to quote that for the over lookers.

One more *!%%**% day! Damn, after it's all said and done, 3+ years in the making, it's final here! [Saigon] Oh baby! [/Saigon]

finally I can own a PS3!!! woot! woot!

and yes I had to show off my MGS toys.
9u6hvk.jpg

^^^ Look on page 1 fam, there is 2 MGS4 bundles, a regular 80GB (non limited) and a 40GB Limted Edtion that is hella limited.

Via thesixaxis.com

Metal Gear Online Requires Update
176808-1.jpg

Anyone familiar with the MGO Beta will know what a pain the title updates are. Well, rejoice, as the full retail version won't start without you downloading and installing version 1.01, which is now available when you start the Online mode.

My Take: Small lil reminder, the full, retail MGS: Online is included with MGS4, and yes your stats from the BETA will carry over.

One more day indeed...Im going back and forth whether i should call out of work tomorrow and cop during the midnight release...
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
.....What should i do???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Battousai7o1

i dont know if this has been answered but...

where can i buy the mgs4 bluetooth headset???

Via gamerush.zoomshare.com

Best Buy: Metal Gear Bluetooth Headset $39.99 next week
82708191fs4.jpg

Best Buy will next week sell the Metal Gear Bluetooth Headset for $39.99, discounted from its regular price of $59.99.

According to the retailer's circular for next week, captured above by GameFAQs, the headset will go on sale Thursday, June 12, the same day Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots comes out.

"Straight from Snake's item inventory to your living room - arm yourself with the latest in tactical espionage action technology with this Metal Gear Solid 4 licensed Bluetooth 2.0 headset from PDP," a description of the device reads.

"Compatible with PlayStation 3 and Bluetooth compatible handsets. Ergonomic ear attachment for long wearing comfort. Built in rechargeable battery gives 8 hours talk time and 160 hours standby with 30 feet operation range. Auto power off and auto connect to last paired device. Comes with protective carrying case

PLEASE CONSOUL ME NIKETALK
frown.gif

we had really bad storms in Philly and 141,000 customers lost power last night, they said we probably won't get it back to Friday

PECO suckssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by ISHTHEDUDE

Is Walmart giving $100 gift cards when you purchase a PS3??? Any truth to this?

from joystiq.com
[h2]http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/11/wal-mart-corporate-confirms-100-ps3-gift-card-yes-even-mgs/[/h2]
[h2]Wal-Mart corporate confirms $100 PS3 gift card -- YES, even the MGS 4 bundle[/h2]
66 Comments by Alexander Sliwinski Jun 11th 2008 10:30AM
Filed under: Sony PlayStation 3, Action, Business

mgs4boxwalmartmain.jpg

We have confirmed with Wal-Mart Corporate Communications that the company is currently offering a $100 gift card this week with the purchase of any Blu-ray player. This applies to all PS3s, including the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle (pictured above) available tomorrow. This re-confirms the information and documentation one of our reliable sources gave us two weeks ago.

After we made sure to ask about the MGS4 bundle this morning, Melissa O'Brien, a spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, told us, "Any Blu-ray player. Blu-ray. All of them." She said that the deal is quite explicit in the Wal-Mart flyer for this week (an image of which we've placed after the break), and the deal is both online and in stores. We hope this clears up any confusion on the matter.

Continue reading Wal-Mart corporate confirms $100 PS3 gift card -- YES, even the MGS 4 bundle

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/11/wal-mart-corporate-confirms-100-ps3-gift-card-yes-even-mgs/

oh snaps yes it comes out tonight. ill be at gamestop and online tonight!!! knowing will get me through the day quicker now
smokin.gif

I have to wait until tomorrow... no midnight release at my spot. Apparently there wasn't a huge interest...
ohwell.gif

Oh well. Scoop it up before leaving work at 1 tomorrow afternoon.

My Walmart said they only have 6 tonight of the 80gb's... Damn them! I hope they're lying or I hope I'll be the only one there... Should I just gonow and get the 40gb with the $100 gift card and pick up MLB the Show and use the rest for MSG? I sort of want BC for PS2, but I don't know many gamesbesides MGS2 and 3 that I'll play...

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

North American LE Boxart:

mgs4legr2.jpg

You will be mine soon...

It's almost time folks, so here's some need to know info from joystiq(pic size to represent the anticipation of this game
laugh.gif
):

mgs4ntkintro.jpg

[h3]Metal Gear Solid 4: Need to Know Info[/h3]
The storyline that's finally wrapping up in MGS4 has spanned six games and 20 years, so things have understandably gotten a little... convoluted along the way. The series has seen some of the most oddly codenamed characters outside of G.I. Joe and more story twists than can be foundcrumpled up in M. Night Shyamalan's waste basket.

For those of you heading into MGS4 fresh - or have simply lost track of who's who and what's what along the way (we wouldn't blame you) - wepresent this painstakingly pruned primer to the names you need to know, with the hope that you embark on Solid Snake's final mission excited rather thanbewildered.

mgs4ntkmg1.jpg

The title of the series comes from the one thing the player is sure to do battle against at the end of every game: a "Metal Gear."

In past games, the blanket description for a Metal Gear was "a bipedal (walking) tank with the capability to launch a nuclear warhead from anywhere in the world." Following the events of MGS1, the Metal Gear technology was sold on the black market to the highest bidders, resulting in a U.S. military project, Metal Gear RAY, an "anti-Metal Gear" Metal Gear. The extreme proliferation of Metal Gear technology is evident in MGS4 in the form of "Gekkos:" cybernetic mini Metal Gears that patrol the battlefield autonomously.

Pictured: Metal Gear REX

mgs4ntksnake.jpg

[h3]Solid Snake[/h3]
The protagonist of the Metal Gear series is a soldier without equal. He's saved the world multiple times and is a master of military combat, stealth tactics, and weapons. He's also a clone of Big Boss, the "greatest soldier who ever lived."

That's also the reason he looks so old in MGS4 versus MGS2. He is the product of experimental 1970s-era cloning technology and his cells are aging at an advanced rate, causing him to look and feel like a man 20 years his senior.

Snake's equipment in the game is designed by his friend and in-field support contact, Hal "Otacon" Emmerich. Otacon has provided Snake with three new pieces of gear for MGS4: the OctoCamo suit, which is capable of mimicking the appearance of surrounding surfaces; the Solid Eye, an all-in-one monocle that serves as binoculars, night vision, and battlefield data; and the Metal Gear Mk. II, a small reconnaissance robot Snake can use to remotely survey upcoming areas and electrocute enemies.

Snake's official mission in MGS4 is to kill Liquid Ocelot, although the ending of MGS2 made it clear that he is also on a personal mission to expose and destroy The Patriots.

mgs4ntkocelot.jpg

[h3]Liquid Ocelot[/h3]
He's two - two! - bad guys in one. In what can only be described as one of the most far-fetched plot devices in videogame history, Liquid Ocelot is a man - Revolver Ocelot - controlled by the ... arm of another man, Snake's clone brother, Liquid Snake.

Revolver Ocelot is (ostensibly) an agent of The Patriots. His actions throughout the series, however, have lead players to believe he is (at the bare minimum) a quadruple-crosser, playing every side to promote a plan all his own.

After losing his forearm in combat during MGS1, he later receives a transplant from Snake's deceased genetic twin. In MGS2, the arm is able to "take over" Ocelot when Snake is near, causing him to act and speak like Liquid Snake. By MGS4, it seems that Liquid has totally pushed Revolver out of the picture, hence "Liquid Ocelot."

The ability to channel Liquid Snake is loosely explained by the fact that Revolver Ocelot's father, an MGS3 character named The Sorrow, could communicate with the dead.

In MGS4, Liquid Ocelot is the leader of Outer Haven, an umbrella corporation which controls all of the world's PMC (private military contractor) companies.

mgs4ntkbigboss.jpg

[h3]Big Boss[/h3]
Although he's only the playable character in two MGS games (MGS3 and Portable Ops), Big Boss is, in many ways, the central character in the entire series. He is regarded as the greatest soldier ever, inadvertently aided in the establishment of The Patriots, initiated the creation of the first Metal Gear, and gave birth - through cloning - to Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, and Solidus Snake. He's also (supposedly) dead and gone.

Big Boss' impact on MGS4 can be felt in his desire (seen in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake) to create a world that is always in need of soldiers. In MG1, Big Boss has established the "mercenary nation" of "Outer Heaven;" in MGS4, his "son," in Liquid Ocelot, commands the world's PMCs as the head of Outer Haven.

mgs4ntkthepatriots.jpg

[h3]The Patriots[/h3]
Not to be confused with the New England Patriots (though we wouldn't be shocked if they are somehow involved), this rascally organization has been secretly controlling America since the 1970s. It began as a group known as "The Philosophers" in the early 1900s, comprised of American, Russian, and Chinese leaders referred to as "The Wisemen's Commission."

The Philosophers were largely (and, again, secretly) responsible for all of the political goings-on in their respective countries, operating under the justification that they were making the world a better place. The group amassed one hundred billion dollars (known as "The Philosopher's Legacy") to fund its continued efforts, and the money was placed into various bank accounts around the world following World War II. A major portion of the Philosopher's Legacy was stolen by the group's American branch in the 1960s, which soon thereafter changed its name to The Patriots. (Also referred to in MGS2 as the "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.")

The Patriots seek total control over America, choosing its presidents and rigging its elections. Liquid Ocelot is an agent of The Patriots, and various other Metal Gear characters have been their targets or pawns at one point or another. It should be noted that The Patriots have never acted directly, instead choosing to use agents such as Ocelot to handle their dirty work. In fact, it is revealed in MGS2 that the members of The Patriots are all presumed dead, but only after players interact with two Artificial Intelligence programs - GW and JFK - which claim to represent them. Alive, dead, or completely digital, The Patriots are Solid Snake's overarching nemesis and prime target in MGS4.

mgs4ntklet.jpg

[h3]Les Enfants Terribles[/h3]
French for "The Terrible Children," this project was started in the early 1970s in an effort to produce clones of Big Boss after the FOXHOUND leader sustained serious combat injuries resulting in a coma. The government's effort to replicate the "world's greatest soldier" resulted in the birth of three "Sons of Big Boss" in Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, and Solidus Snake.

A total of eight embryos were created during the cloning process, but five were sacrificed to ensure the viability of the remaining three. Solid Snake received all of Big Boss' recessive genes, Liquid Snake his dominant genes, and Solidus Snake a supposedly perfect balance of both.

Only Solid Snake survives as of MGS4, in keeping with a theme of the series that one's genes don't control one's destiny.

mgs4ntkfoxhound.jpg

[h3]FOXHOUND[/h3]
FOXHOUND is the (fictional) U.S. special forces unit established by Big Boss after the events of Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. Solid Snake is a FOXHOUND operative in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, and is yanked out of retirement to take down the now-rogue unit, led by his brother, Liquid Snake, in the original Metal Gear Solid.

FOXHOUND has since been re-formed and is led by Meryl Silverburgh, daughter of its co-founder, Colonel Roy Campbell. Meryl commands a special FOXHOUND squad known as the "Rat Patrol" on a mission to eliminate Liquid Ocelot in MGS4.

mgs4ntkfoxdie.jpg

[h3]FoxDie[/h3]
Nano machines play a big role in the MGS series. They're used to enhance character's abilities (which may account for some of the supernatural happenings) and, in MGS4, "sync up" the actions of every soldier on the battlefield.

In MGS1, Dr. Naomi Hunter designs a nano machine virus called FoxDie, which is injected into all of FOXHOUNDS's members and Solid Snake. FoxDie is meant to kill anyone who has been genetically enhanced with Big Boss' DNA (basically all of the game's enemy soldiers, FOXHOUND members, Liquid Snake, and Solid Snake) when triggered.

Naomi injects Solid Snake with FoxDie and sets its activation time/date to a random "wildcard" figure purely out of revenge; she believes Snake killed her brother. The game ends with Hunter telling Snake to "live life," because neither she nor he know when it will go "boom."

In MGS4, FoxDie has been re-engineered by Naomi to provide Liquid Ocelot with control over every soldier on the battlefield who carries it in their blood - and that's almost everyone.

mgs4ntknaomi.jpg

[h3]Dr. Naomi Hunter[/h3]
Solid Snake first met Naomi in MGS1, where she served as a medical consultant on his mission. She is actually an orphan who stole the identity of the real Dr. Naomi Hunter following her death and used it to land a job with Big Boss and FOXHOUND. She hoped the resources provided by the unit could help her learn more about her deceased parents through genetics.

She created the FoxDie nano machine "virus" as a failsafe injected into every FOXHOUND member, allowing their commander to terminate them should they go rogue. Hunter reappears in MGS4 as a captive of Liquid Ocelot, who has forced her to modify the FoxDie virus to provide total control over the thousands of troops he employs.

mgs4ntkcampbell.jpg

[h3]Roy Campbell[/h3]
Players first met Colonel Roy Campbell in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, where he served as Snake's mission commander. Campbell's first appearance chronologically came in Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, where he meets Big Boss while both are being held prisoner. Big Boss recruits Campbell to help lead what would eventually become FOXHOUND.

In MGS4, Campbell is officially retired, but is charged with providing Snake with his final mission.

mgs4ntkmeryl.jpg

[h3]Meryl Silverburgh[/h3]
Meryl first appeared in the original Metal Gear Solid as a FOXHOUND rookie that becomes Snake's sidekick ... and, eventually, his lover. She is originally introduced as the niece of Snake's mission commander, Roy Campbell, but is later revealed to be his daughter.

Meryl and Snake's relationship ended in the period between MGS1 and MGS2; they meet up again for the first time since in MGS4. Meryl is now the leader of FOXHOUND, commanding a special unit known as the "Rat Patrol." She and three team members are in the Middle East with the same mission as Snake: kill Liquid Ocelot.

mgs4ntkotacon.jpg

[h3]Hal "Otacon" Emmerich[/h3]
Otacon first appeared in MGS1 and is the designer of that game's big bad 'bot, the Metal Gear REX. His nickname is a combination of "otaku" and "convention" because he likes to attend anime conventions.

He serves as Solid Snake's "mission control" in MGS2 and MGS4, providing him with information via a two-way codec system. He's also a technological mastermind, and has created most of the gear Snake uses, including the OctoCamo suit, Solid Eye optics system, and Metal Gear Mk. II remote-controlled recon robot.

Otacon, like Snake, is a member of a UN-sanctioned anti-Metal Gear group known as Philanthropy. He is bent on righting the wrongs of his past and helping Snake bring an end to The Patriots.

mgs4ntkvamp.jpg

[h3]Vamp[/h3]
One of the few surviving bad guys from MGS2, Vamp is an ex-member of a terrorist group called Dead Cell, which was under the command of Solid Snake's clone "brother," Solidus Snake. Vamp displays the characteristics of a vampire, although his codename is actually derived from his flamboyant style.

Vamp is seemingly immortal and unstoppable. He has survived multiple bullets to the head, can walk on water, and move at super-human speed. His weapons of preference are throwing knives, and the reason for his return in MGS4 is one of the game's biggest unknowns.

mgs4ntkraiden.jpg

[h3]Raiden[/h3]
Raised by Solidus Snake and trained as a child soldier during the first Liberian Civil War, Raiden (whose real name is Jack) was the main playable character in MGS2. It is eventually revealed that his mission in the game is a carefully crafted reenactment of the events from MGS1 designed by The Patriots to mold him into a Solid Snake caliber soldier and use the resulting data to create more "super-soldiers" like him.

Raiden eventually realizes that he's been played and vows to help Solid Snake bring down The Patriots once and for all. He also makes a promise to find and rescue the child of Olga Gurlukovich, a secondary character in MGS2, who is being held captive by The Patriots.

In MGS4, Raiden appears as a cyborg, who, like Vamp, is seemingly immortal. The reason(s) behind his transformation have been a tightly kept plot secret.

mgs4ntksunny.jpg

[h3]Sunny Gurlukovich[/h3]
The child of Olga Gurlukovich, Sunny is used as bait to keep Raiden fighting during the events of MGS2. Following the climax of the game, Raiden and Solid Snake vow to find and rescue her.

Sunny appears in trailers for MGS4 along with Naomi Hunter, and is also credited on the game's official website with helping Otacon build the Metal Gear Mk. II that Snake controls in battle. She holds some greater importance to The Patriots, but exactly what that is going into MGS4 is a mystery.

mgs4ntkeva.jpg

[h3]Eva[/h3]
Now in her 70s, Eva is the ex-lover of Big Boss. She double-crossed him in MGS3 in order to obtain The Philosopher's Legacy. The reason(s) for her appearance in MGS4, along with her self-proclaimed codename, "Big Momma," are unknown.

moz-screenshot-12.jpg
moz-screenshot-13.jpg

Originally Posted by nnarum

My Walmart said they only have 6 tonight of the 80gb's... Damn them! I hope they're lying or I hope I'll be the only one there... Should I just go now and get the 40gb with the $100 gift card and pick up MLB the Show and use the rest for MSG? I sort of want BC for PS2, but I don't know many games besides MGS2 and 3 that I'll play...

If you have a chance to get an 80GB, scoop it up.

Back
Top Bottom