The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

anybody on here in the AF as a 3D1X1 or client systems? wanted to know what yall day to day activities are like

trynna get an IT gig that ll translate well to the civilian sector

anybody on here in the AF as a 3D1X1 or client systems? wanted to know what yall day to day activities are like

trynna get an IT gig that ll translate well to the civilian sector

if you want to enlist in any branch, check with the recruiters, it's their job to help you with the paperwork
if you want to become an officer in the military, you have to go to an officer selection recruiter

ASVAB is easy, just remember to study 1 week prior, get a good night's rest before taking it

hope that clears up some questions 
laugh.gif

if you want to enlist in any branch, check with the recruiters, it's their job to help you with the paperwork
if you want to become an officer in the military, you have to go to an officer selection recruiter

ASVAB is easy, just remember to study 1 week prior, get a good night's rest before taking it

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FullTech

laugh.gif
Well sorta...you do yourself the best justice by doing your homework about the Military Occupation Specialty/Rate/Job you may want to do before going to see a recruiter. Recruiters do have a job, and a lot of times it is to fill critical need positions. IF they can sense you don't know what you are looking for then they'll be happy to sign you up for something that is a critical need. Recruiters can and will sometimes do you dirty if you are not well informed.

ASVAB is relatively easy...what most people don't know before going in is that it's all about your composite scores... One of the main composite scores is the GT composite. Most of the highly technical, and or high speed MOS's require a GT composite of 110 or better. My suggestion is to go to Barnes and Noble and study and practice with the ASVAB study guides. Take more than only 1 week to study...your career in the military is more important than to only study for a week.

Be prepared for a VERY long day at MEPS, it sucks at first, but it is somewhat of an indoctrination of the hurry up and wait process that the military is known for. Most importantly DO NOT LIE even if your recruiters try to get you to lie on your SF-86 form. At the end of the day if you get caught it's all on you...because you signed your name. Adjudicators hear the "but my recruiter told me to say that" line all the time.

Cliffnotes:

Do you own research on what you want to do and its requirements.
Give ample time to study for the ASVAB...the jobs available to you will be determined by your score and composite scores
Be prepared for a long day at MEPS...if it's one of those rare short days then it's a bonus, least you were prepared
Don't lie on your SF-86.

laugh.gif
Well sorta...you do yourself the best justice by doing your homework about the Military Occupation Specialty/Rate/Job you may want to do before going to see a recruiter. Recruiters do have a job, and a lot of times it is to fill critical need positions. IF they can sense you don't know what you are looking for then they'll be happy to sign you up for something that is a critical need. Recruiters can and will sometimes do you dirty if you are not well informed.

ASVAB is relatively easy...what most people don't know before going in is that it's all about your composite scores... One of the main composite scores is the GT composite. Most of the highly technical, and or high speed MOS's require a GT composite of 110 or better. My suggestion is to go to Barnes and Noble and study and practice with the ASVAB study guides. Take more than only 1 week to study...your career in the military is more important than to only study for a week.

Be prepared for a VERY long day at MEPS, it sucks at first, but it is somewhat of an indoctrination of the hurry up and wait process that the military is known for. Most importantly DO NOT LIE even if your recruiters try to get you to lie on your SF-86 form. At the end of the day if you get caught it's all on you...because you signed your name. Adjudicators hear the "but my recruiter told me to say that" line all the time.

Cliffnotes:

Do you own research on what you want to do and its requirements.
Give ample time to study for the ASVAB...the jobs available to you will be determined by your score and composite scores
Be prepared for a long day at MEPS...if it's one of those rare short days then it's a bonus, least you were prepared
Don't lie on your SF-86.

Dub

Dub

I Got a question. I have a degree and I would like to join the AF reserve as an officer, but the recruiter told me that the only thing available
is an medical officer or pilot. Would it be a better option to enlist an apply for officer later??

I Got a question. I have a degree and I would like to join the AF reserve as an officer, but the recruiter told me that the only thing available
is an medical officer or pilot. Would it be a better option to enlist an apply for officer later??

In these times...yes. but that is only if you really want to be an officer. They are being very very selective due to the wars ending and budget cuts.

In these times...yes. but that is only if you really want to be an officer. They are being very very selective due to the wars ending and budget cuts.

Finally completed the officer interviews portion for my OCS package. I got a flag (retired O-
glasses.gif
, and two active seniors (O-5 and O-6) from the community I'm trying to break into. Still need one more professional rec from my current job (should have it by next week) and to complete my statement of interest. finally good to have my package almost complete. just hoping the board review is still on.

Finally completed the officer interviews portion for my OCS package. I got a flag (retired O-
glasses.gif
, and two active seniors (O-5 and O-6) from the community I'm trying to break into. Still need one more professional rec from my current job (should have it by next week) and to complete my statement of interest. finally good to have my package almost complete. just hoping the board review is still on.

When is your board date? ^

And are they still taking apps? or do you have a rolling deadline?

I hope things go well for you. Results for Intel were out yesterday

When is your board date? ^

And are they still taking apps? or do you have a rolling deadline?

I hope things go well for you. Results for Intel were out yesterday

all I know is that my board date is sometime in November. No word from my recruiter on whether it has been cancelled although I was given the community's point of
contact for OCS applicants at Naval Recruiting Command. I should probably email them to see if they know anything.

I would assume that the DL is rolling because they accept packages up until Sept. 30. I have a crappy OAR but the officers that I have talked to said it is a qualitative position.

*also, found out they closed all SWO board until next October. They were only taking aps for aviators and engineers.

all I know is that my board date is sometime in November. No word from my recruiter on whether it has been cancelled although I was given the community's point of
contact for OCS applicants at Naval Recruiting Command. I should probably email them to see if they know anything.

I would assume that the DL is rolling because they accept packages up until Sept. 30. I have a crappy OAR but the officers that I have talked to said it is a qualitative position.

*also, found out they closed all SWO board until next October. They were only taking aps for aviators and engineers.

Is it possible to switch occupations once I'm in the air force and if so is it frowned upon?

I really want to join but I don't know what it is exactly that I want to do.

Back
Top Bottom