The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

aepps20 wrote:
If this were Stern from two years ago I'd say he'd have a few concessions in his back pocket, but this generation of owners have taken all of his power away. Stern has essentially been reduced to an errand boy.
Disagree with you. These newer owners don't lord over Stern. He owns the league. He was an extremely smart lawyer in his younger days & is arguably the best modern commissioner of any of the pro sports.

Stern is a straight up storm trooper & he has to be. The economic landscape has forever changed & will not survive using anything remotely  close to the current business model.

Shoot, we may eventually see the season shortened & several teams contracted once the lock out ends. No one is buying tickets to an 82 game season & companies aren't buying corporate boxes or seats for NBA games. The NBA revenue streams have shrunk quite a bit & Stern knows this so he's moving to make agressive changes now. 

aepps20 wrote:
If this were Stern from two years ago I'd say he'd have a few concessions in his back pocket, but this generation of owners have taken all of his power away. Stern has essentially been reduced to an errand boy.
Disagree with you. These newer owners don't lord over Stern. He owns the league. He was an extremely smart lawyer in his younger days & is arguably the best modern commissioner of any of the pro sports.

Stern is a straight up storm trooper & he has to be. The economic landscape has forever changed & will not survive using anything remotely  close to the current business model.

Shoot, we may eventually see the season shortened & several teams contracted once the lock out ends. No one is buying tickets to an 82 game season & companies aren't buying corporate boxes or seats for NBA games. The NBA revenue streams have shrunk quite a bit & Stern knows this so he's moving to make agressive changes now. 

To Vote Or Not To Vote?

As the players' union prepared to host representatives from all 30 teams Tuesday, a person with knowledge of the plans told CBSSports.com that executives from the National Basketball Players Association will be open-minded about whether the league's latest proposal should be put to a vote by the full membership.

The primary purpose of the meeting will be to educate player reps about the details and ramifications of the NBA's 50-50 proposal, which commissioner David Stern has told executive director Billy Hunter in writing that he has until 5 p.m. Wednesday to accept or be faced with a far worse offer. Player reps also will be informed of the other options at their disposal if the union rejects the deal and the league forwards what it is calling its "reset" proposal -- which includes a 47 percent share of revenues for the players, a hard salary cap and rollbacks of existing contracts, among other system restraints that are far worse than those in the standing proposal.

But union officials also expect that player reps will have polled their teammates and will present their views as to whether players, as a whole, want to vote on the deal, reject it, or seek a vote to dissolve the union through decertification and take their fight to the federal courts.

"I'm expecting a diversity of opinions, quite frankly," said the person with knowledge of the format for Tuesday's meeting.

This was the case Monday, as players were active in expressing their opinions to their agents and via social media, with the only consensus being that players are divided on what the next steps should be. Some, like Kevin Martin of the Rockets and Steve Blake of the Lakers, are pushing for a vote. Others, like Cavaliers player rep Anthony Parker, say they're opposed to the deal and would vote against it.

Nothing will be known for sure until the player reps meet with union leaders Tuesday. And to some extent, further conversations will be required between the NBPA and NBA negotiators to clear up certain technical aspects of the proposal -- such as a provision the league has asked for to account for a scenario in which player salaries exceed their 50 percent guarantee by more than the 10 percent escrow withholding in the proposal, up from the previous level of eight percent, sources said.

Indeed, while no meetings between the two sides were scheduled as of Monday night, a person with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com that NBPA executives were hopeful that further conversations could be scheduled with the league before the Wednesday deadline.

While union president Derek Fisher and outside counsel Jeffrey counsel excoriated the league's latest proposal after talks broke down early Sunday and executive committee members are not in favor of presenting it to the rank-and-file for a vote, union negotiators believe that some minor tweaks to unresolved system issues could make the deal more palatable. Among the issues, for example, would be permitting teams above the luxury-tax line to execute sign-and-trade transactions -- a detail the two sides are at odds on despite it only occurring five times during the previous six-year agreement.

Union executives will meet at 1 p.m. Tuesday at a Manhattan hotel with player reps, with all 30 teams expected to be represented either by their reps or alternates.
Link

Originally Posted by DubA169

I suppose you don't become a billionaire without running up the score. They ae probably wired differently than more of us can comprehend

yeah I agree with this 100%, you don't make it to billionaire status, by being wired like the average joe.  to get to that point you have to be willing to be ugly and step on a few people to get to that point in life....

Originally Posted by psk2310

aepps20 wrote:

When the owners sign your checks and determine your pay, you don't own or run anything.  PMatic has posted several articles reporting that Stern has been at the mercy of the hardline owners.  Everyone wants change, but Stern understands that alienating the players when they are the product isn't the best plan.

Originally Posted by aepps20

Originally Posted by psk2310

aepps20 wrote:

When the owners sign your checks and determine your pay, you don't own or run anything.  PMatic has posted several articles reporting that Stern has been at the mercy of the hardline owners.  Everyone wants change, but Stern understands that alienating the players when they are the product isn't the best plan.

Now I agree with the last sentence you typed & I'll temper what I said, Stern does need to balance both sides because there is a partnership between the owners, the L, & the players. 

Don't buy too much into those articles though. I don't doubt some owners have voiced some hard views but the one thing I've learned is that journalist these days don't know squat especially sports writers. They tend to make stuff up citing so called "anonymous sources" which is license for them to basically make stuff up. 95% of sports writers are straight crap.

These newer owners would not have been able to come into the league if Stern didn't like them. Shoot, he's done a pretty impressive job of muzzling Cuban over the last 2-3 years.

%%*$ the players..
I'm stil with my man..

gilbert.jpg

..that boy got swag. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Adrian Wojnarowski: Updated Y! Sports: NBA, owners could be willing to tweak system issues to cut deadline deal with union. http://tinyurl.com/bw483lh about 8 minutes ago

dumb money says that there is gonna be a deal....

Not quite so fast...

Some owners don't like 50-50 offer?

A group of disgruntled NBA owners held a conference call Monday to express their displeasure with the 50/50 revenue offer commissioner David Stern has presented to the players' association, according to sources with knowledge of the call.

The deal, which the union sees as an "ultimatum" offer, calls for players to receive anywhere between 49 and 51 percent of basketball-related income, but the group of displeased owners, the sources said, are hoping the players reject it. The owners are aware that the union's executive committee is opposed to the league's latest proposal, but they fear that the 30 player representatives set to meet in New York on Tuesday will push for approval of the deal.

Stern was not on the call, but the sources said up to 11 owners took part, including Charlotte's Michael Jordan, Portland's Paul Allen and Milwaukee's Herb Kohl.

"There are at least 15 owners who are praying that the players say no,'' one source said. "Because then they'll get the deal they want.''

The deal the hard-liners want is the one Stern said would replace the league's current offer if the players don't accept it by Wednesday at 5 p.m. The alternative offer features a 47 percent revenue split for the players, a flex cap, and rollbacks on current contracts.

One source said if the players accept the 50/50 offer, it will not be easy for Stern to get it approved by his owners.

"There are a large number of owners against (the 50/50 deal), but I think we have enough to get it passed,'' the source said.

Adrian Wojnarowski: Updated Y! Sports: NBA, owners could be willing to tweak system issues to cut deadline deal with union. http://tinyurl.com/bw483lh about 8 minutes ago

Not quite so fast...

Some owners don't like 50-50 offer?

A group of disgruntled NBA owners held a conference call Monday to express their displeasure with the 50/50 revenue offer commissioner David Stern has presented to the players' association, according to sources with knowledge of the call.

The deal, which the union sees as an "ultimatum" offer, calls for players to receive anywhere between 49 and 51 percent of basketball-related income, but the group of displeased owners, the sources said, are hoping the players reject it. The owners are aware that the union's executive committee is opposed to the league's latest proposal, but they fear that the 30 player representatives set to meet in New York on Tuesday will push for approval of the deal.

Stern was not on the call, but the sources said up to 11 owners took part, including Charlotte's Michael Jordan, Portland's Paul Allen and Milwaukee's Herb Kohl.

"There are at least 15 owners who are praying that the players say no,'' one source said. "Because then they'll get the deal they want.''

The deal the hard-liners want is the one Stern said would replace the league's current offer if the players don't accept it by Wednesday at 5 p.m. The alternative offer features a 47 percent revenue split for the players, a flex cap, and rollbacks on current contracts.

One source said if the players accept the 50/50 offer, it will not be easy for Stern to get it approved by his owners.

"There are a large number of owners against (the 50/50 deal), but I think we have enough to get it passed,'' the source said.

I have this feeling the owners don't want to lose an entire season...but they can afford to lose an entire season. The optimistic side of me thinks there are last-minute concessions to be made. but if the players balk at any of this, it gets nasty Wednesday night, and there's no season. That's what it comes down to.

I have this feeling the owners don't want to lose an entire season...but they can afford to lose an entire season. The optimistic side of me thinks there are last-minute concessions to be made. but if the players balk at any of this, it gets nasty Wednesday night, and there's no season. That's what it comes down to.

Most players know that this is a bad deal (whether or not they vote for or against it is another story), a good number of owners hate this deal............ I just feel like it is gonna take a miracle for this to work out.

But I'm not ready to give up hope
ohwell.gif

Most players know that this is a bad deal (whether or not they vote for or against it is another story), a good number of owners hate this deal............ I just feel like it is gonna take a miracle for this to work out.

But I'm not ready to give up hope
ohwell.gif

Looks like the "disgruntled" owners angling for 53-47 is a bit of reverse psychology.

I don't think the players fall for it, though. Their problem is staving off an internal civil war.

The upper tier players can afford to be principled, while the drones need every paycheck.

Time's ticking...

Looks like the "disgruntled" owners angling for 53-47 is a bit of reverse psychology.

I don't think the players fall for it, though. Their problem is staving off an internal civil war.

The upper tier players can afford to be principled, while the drones need every paycheck.

Time's ticking...

if the players take 50 50 and the owners don't approve it I think that the fan backlash will turn to the owners. people immediately think 50 50 is fair without looking into the rest.

then again many people feel like leverageeee is what it's all about and maybe be fine with the owners using all of it. i don't even know at this point.

if the players take 50 50 and the owners don't approve it I think that the fan backlash will turn to the owners. people immediately think 50 50 is fair without looking into the rest.

then again many people feel like leverageeee is what it's all about and maybe be fine with the owners using all of it. i don't even know at this point.

I really think some owners are playing the hardline stance because they are bitter
30t6p3b.gif
They know they can't win a championship or even come close. The Miami Heat (Pat Riley) told Dwayne Wade that he was going to be the team the two years before "The Decision" and they wouldn't be serious contenders. That was a big sacrifice they made in order to put their team in an incredible position to win. bigger risk = bigger payoff. Pat Riley (although he's president, everyone knows he runs the organization) is a basketball genius with money while some of the other owners (I'm talking to you Dan Gilbert) are billionaires who enjoy basketball.

I really think some owners are playing the hardline stance because they are bitter
30t6p3b.gif
They know they can't win a championship or even come close. The Miami Heat (Pat Riley) told Dwayne Wade that he was going to be the team the two years before "The Decision" and they wouldn't be serious contenders. That was a big sacrifice they made in order to put their team in an incredible position to win. bigger risk = bigger payoff. Pat Riley (although he's president, everyone knows he runs the organization) is a basketball genius with money while some of the other owners (I'm talking to you Dan Gilbert) are billionaires who enjoy basketball.

Back
Top Bottom