The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

this cba thing looks more serious than the nfl and looks like it will cost the league some time 
30t6p3b.gif
... but if the league really voids everyones contracts can you imagine the draft 
eek.gif
and if lebron went back to cleveland 
laugh.gif
... i wonder if the city would even accept him back... this better not happen though because this would mess my team up the knicks by getting rid of melo and amare 
alien.gif
... stern and the owners need to stop playing and start negotiating with the players already and get this thing done 

at this point the nba can go to hell. i can live without a season or two. which means no money spent on tickets and league pass. the nfl and mlb can hold me over...

at this point the nba can go to hell. i can live without a season or two. which means no money spent on tickets and league pass. the nfl and mlb can hold me over...

I dont know about full year and def not 2 years
laugh.gif
But for the rest of year Im good with the NFL.

I dont know about full year and def not 2 years
laugh.gif
But for the rest of year Im good with the NFL.

Originally Posted by PMatic

This is a CBA plan I wrote up. After reviewing it, I think it favors the owners more than the players. I'm sure there are holes in my plan, so bear with me if you choose read through it. Let me know what you guys think.
Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Basketball Related Income Split

Current plan: Players get 57% of the BRI the form of salaries and benefits

Players' offer: Players have offered to reduce their BRI to 54.3% for the next five years, which is a $100 million reduction each year ($500 million total).

Owners' offer: Owners want to guarantee the players $2 billion each year for the next ten years. This would give the players a 40% guarantee of the BRI.

My plan: Players get 52% of the BRI, while the owners get the left over 48%. For example, this past season the NBA reported a BRI of $3.817 billion. Under my plan, the players would get $1.984 billion of that amount, leaving the owners with $1.833 billion.

Salary Cap System

Current plan: A soft cap that allows for exceptions.

Players' offer: More or less, the same as the current plan.

Owners' offer: A flex cap at $62 million. The salary floor, ceiling and exceptions have not been detailed yet.

My plan: A hard cap based on the BRI of the players. That $1.984? That would be used to determine the cap. Take the $1.984 and subtract $150 million for account of player benefits, then divide it by 30 (the amount of teams in the league). That would mean the cap for 2011-2012 would be $61.1 million. 

Phase In Period

The hard cap would not take place until 2013-2014, giving NBA teams two full seasons to comply. In the mean time, I will allow teams and players to renegotiate contracts.

For example, Carmelo Anthony is scheduled to make $83 million over the next four seasons. In 2013-2014 when the hard cap is fully implemented, Carmelo could be taking up (nearly) a third the New York Knicks' team cap at $22.4 million. To make up for this, Carmelo and the Knicks could tear up the existing contract and work out a new contract that is for five years-$100 million. $83 million of that is guaranteed, with $75 million being distributed evenly the next five years. The remaining $8 million leftover could be distributed to his salary before the hard cap takes place. So instead of paying Carmelo $22.4 million in 2013-2014, the Knicks would be paying Carmelo $15 million instead. If Carmelo is still going strong in four years, he and the Knicks could renegotiate again for a new contract.

Until the hard cap takes place, I will tax teams over the $67.5 million point (last year's average payroll). This money will be distributed to the teams that did not go over this amount at the end of the season.

Free Agency

With the introduction of a hard cap, the Mid-level exception and Bi-annual exception are eliminated (along with the Luxury tax). There is no set max for a player, so teams are free to pay a player as much as they can. Players re-signing with their own team can sign for up to five years. Players signing with a new team can only get up to four years. This is to help the small market owners, discouraging their players from signing with big market teams. In either case, the first three years of a contract is guaranteed. 

Let's use Tyson Chandler as an example. Chandler had a very good season for the Dallas Mavericks and will be an unrestricted free agent. However, he'll be 29 in October and has a history of injuries. To reward Chandler for his work this past season and prevent the Mavs from suffering years down the road, both sides work out a contract that is worth five years-$60 million. Chandler could get $50 million of that guaranteed. The $50 million could be distributed evenly in the lifetime of the five year contract or front-loaded while Chandler is still worth the money to the Mavs.
Revenue Sharing
This is an issue between the owners. Currently, the league gets $7.4 billion from its national television deals and other revenue. My plan will share both ticket sales and local television revenue. This plan will surely anger big market owners, but it will give small market owners a stream of much needed revenue. I'm not sure on exactly how to split the ticket sales and local television revenue though.

Other Issues

Amnesty Clause: This will allow teams to remove a player's contract from the team's salary before the 2011-2012 and the 2013-2014 seasons. The teams must pay the full amount owed to the player.

Buy-Out: We all dislike the time of the season where players can be traded, bought-out by their new team and sign back with their old team. In my plan, I'm disallowing that.

-League: NBA teams can independently operate a D-League team or be assigned to one with another NBA team or two. The D-League will be for free agents looking to catch the eye of a NBA team, players who wouldn't get playing time on their respective NBA team or players coming back from injury. There would be no limitation as far as experience is concerned, so a ten year vet could be placed there.

Draft: I'm on the fence with this one, but prospects must be two years removed from their high school graduating class. This will protect veteran players from getting jobs taken away and give teams more time to evaluate prospects. It's not fair for the elite prospects, but I'm looking out for the league long term.

Rookie Contract: Rookie contracts get decreased by X amount (not sure what % yet). First round picks get four year contracts, with the first two years being guaranteed and the last two being team options. After their rookie contract is up, players are unrestricted free agents.

Sign and trade: Will be allowed, but the player signing the new contract cannot get the five year contract from their new team.

Trades: If two teams agree to a trade, then it can go through as long as it fits under both team's caps.
I agree with everything except the Draft
Good stuff PMatic

Ultimately, the 2 year rule might come in play. W/ that said, PMatic's idea of the DL is good, but how come the D-League isn't used like the minors in baseball?

This is a CBA plan I wrote up. After reviewing it, I think it favors the owners more than the players. I'm sure there are holes in my plan, so bear with me if you choose read through it. Let me know what you guys think.
Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Players' offer: Players have offered to reduce their BRI to 54.3% for the next five years, which is a $100 million reduction each year ($500 million total).

Owners' offer: Owners want to guarantee the players $2 billion each year for the next ten years. This would give the players a 40% guarantee of the BRI.

My plan: Players get 52% of the BRI, while the owners get the left over 48%. For example, this past season the NBA reported a BRI of $3.817 billion. Under my plan, the players would get $1.984 billion of that amount, leaving the owners with $1.833 billion.

Salary Cap System

Owners' offer: A flex cap at $62 million. The salary floor, ceiling and exceptions have not been detailed yet.

My plan: A hard cap based on the BRI of the players. That $1.984? That would be used to determine the cap. Take the $1.984 and subtract $150 million for account of player benefits, then divide it by 30 (the amount of teams in the league). That would mean the cap for 2011-2012 would be $61.1 million. 

Phase In Period

The hard cap would not take place until 2013-2014, giving NBA teams two full seasons to comply. In the mean time, I will allow teams and players to renegotiate contracts.

For example, Carmelo Anthony is scheduled to make $83 million over the next four seasons. In 2013-2014 when the hard cap is fully implemented, Carmelo could be taking up (nearly) a third the New York Knicks' team cap at $22.4 million. To make up for this, Carmelo and the Knicks could tear up the existing contract and work out a new contract that is for five years-$100 million. $83 million of that is guaranteed, with $75 million being distributed evenly the next five years. The remaining $8 million leftover could be distributed to his salary before the hard cap takes place. So instead of paying Carmelo $22.4 million in 2013-2014, the Knicks would be paying Carmelo $15 million instead. If Carmelo is still going strong in four years, he and the Knicks could renegotiate again for a new contract.

Until the hard cap takes place, I will tax teams over the $67.5 million point (last year's average payroll). This money will be distributed to the teams that did not go over this amount at the end of the season.

Free Agency

With the introduction of a hard cap, the Mid-level exception and Bi-annual exception are eliminated (along with the Luxury tax). There is no set max for a player, so teams are free to pay a player as much as they can. Players re-signing with their own team can sign for up to five years. Players signing with a new team can only get up to four years. This is to help the small market owners, discouraging their players from signing with big market teams. In either case, the first three years of a contract is guaranteed. 

Let's use Tyson Chandler as an example. Chandler had a very good season for the Dallas Mavericks and will be an unrestricted free agent. However, he'll be 29 in October and has a history of injuries. To reward Chandler for his work this past season and prevent the Mavs from suffering years down the road, both sides work out a contract that is worth five years-$60 million. Chandler could get $50 million of that guaranteed. The $50 million could be distributed evenly in the lifetime of the five year contract or front-loaded while Chandler is still worth the money to the Mavs.
Revenue Sharing
This is an issue between the owners. Currently, the league gets $7.4 billion from its national television deals and other revenue. My plan will share both ticket sales and local television revenue. This plan will surely anger big market owners, but it will give small market owners a stream of much needed revenue. I'm not sure on exactly how to split the ticket sales and local television revenue though.

Other Issues

Amnesty Clause: This will allow teams to remove a player's contract from the team's salary before the 2011-2012 and the 2013-2014 seasons. The teams must pay the full amount owed to the player.

Buy-Out: We all dislike the time of the season where players can be traded, bought-out by their new team and sign back with their old team. In my plan, I'm disallowing that.

-League: NBA teams can independently operate a D-League team or be assigned to one with another NBA team or two. The D-League will be for free agents looking to catch the eye of a NBA team, players who wouldn't get playing time on their respective NBA team or players coming back from injury. There would be no limitation as far as experience is concerned, so a ten year vet could be placed there.

Draft: I'm on the fence with this one, but prospects must be two years removed from their high school graduating class. This will protect veteran players from getting jobs taken away and give teams more time to evaluate prospects. It's not fair for the elite prospects, but I'm looking out for the league long term.

Rookie Contract: Rookie contracts get decreased by X amount (not sure what % yet). First round picks get four year contracts, with the first two years being guaranteed and the last two being team options. After their rookie contract is up, players are unrestricted free agents.

Sign and trade: Will be allowed, but the player signing the new contract cannot get the five year contract from their new team.

Trades: If two teams agree to a trade, then it can go through as long as it fits under both team's caps.
Good stuff PMatic

Ultimately, the 2 year rule might come in play. W/ that said, PMatic's idea of the DL is good, but how come the D-League isn't used like the minors in baseball?

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Good stuff PMatic

Yeah I'm iffy about the Draft rule too. Maybe they can allow for high school players to enter the draft but if they don't they have to wait two years in college/overseas?

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Good stuff PMatic

Yeah I'm iffy about the Draft rule too. Maybe they can allow for high school players to enter the draft but if they don't they have to wait two years in college/overseas?

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Excellent work bro. 
pimp.gif

My one question/adendum.  The vets getting deals 5 years from old team, or 4 years from new team, I'm not sure that's enough.  6-4 seems the better ratio, but I understand how that extra year could be a killer on teams if the player doesn't live up to his worth.  What if we made the 6th years a team option? 
nerd.gif
  Maybe a few extra guaranteed bucks at the start of the deal, but a team option at the end, that way the team is never totally trapped by a bad deal.  More incentive from upfront money, plus the possible extra year would make it much more likely for stars to stay with their teams. 

And the revenue sharing, take the 30 teams, figure out the total each brings in.  Obviously, LA and NY would bring in more than Orlando.  Figure out a balance so that bigger market teams that make the most money, still get a good percentage for themselves, but the smaller markets still get enough that they have that much needed boost you mention.  Without knowing the numbers specifically I can't give you an accurate example, but of 7.4 bil, if LA brings in say, 1 bil, and Orlando brings in 100 mil, maybe LA can keep x amount off the top since they earned it, and Orlando also gets to keep x percent as well, but since they earned less, obviously they keep less.  Split the rest up into a pot, divide that by 30.  Somewhere in there is the numbers I'm lookin for, but just guessing make it more difficult.  Somebody smarter than me can figure out the balance.  We want to help the small markets, but we also want to give proper reward to the big markets that bring in the cash flow.  It's not fair to just divide the 7.4 evenly among 30 teams when 4-5 teams do all the heavy lifting. 

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Excellent work bro. 
pimp.gif

My one question/adendum.  The vets getting deals 5 years from old team, or 4 years from new team, I'm not sure that's enough.  6-4 seems the better ratio, but I understand how that extra year could be a killer on teams if the player doesn't live up to his worth.  What if we made the 6th years a team option? 
nerd.gif
  Maybe a few extra guaranteed bucks at the start of the deal, but a team option at the end, that way the team is never totally trapped by a bad deal.  More incentive from upfront money, plus the possible extra year would make it much more likely for stars to stay with their teams. 

And the revenue sharing, take the 30 teams, figure out the total each brings in.  Obviously, LA and NY would bring in more than Orlando.  Figure out a balance so that bigger market teams that make the most money, still get a good percentage for themselves, but the smaller markets still get enough that they have that much needed boost you mention.  Without knowing the numbers specifically I can't give you an accurate example, but of 7.4 bil, if LA brings in say, 1 bil, and Orlando brings in 100 mil, maybe LA can keep x amount off the top since they earned it, and Orlando also gets to keep x percent as well, but since they earned less, obviously they keep less.  Split the rest up into a pot, divide that by 30.  Somewhere in there is the numbers I'm lookin for, but just guessing make it more difficult.  Somebody smarter than me can figure out the balance.  We want to help the small markets, but we also want to give proper reward to the big markets that bring in the cash flow.  It's not fair to just divide the 7.4 evenly among 30 teams when 4-5 teams do all the heavy lifting. 

i don't even see revenue sharing coming up as crazy as it sounds. Just put it on the workers.

hankmoody was right this all sounds eerily similar to the debt ceiling talks.

i don't even see revenue sharing coming up as crazy as it sounds. Just put it on the workers.

hankmoody was right this all sounds eerily similar to the debt ceiling talks.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Excellent work bro. 
pimp.gif

nerd.gif

I wanted to do three and five year contracts, but I thought three years might be too short. Six year contracts are too long, even with the team option to me. But like you said, I want deals front-loaded when players should be at their best during the contract's lifetime.

As far as ticket revenue, I read the Lakers-Knicks can make as much as $2 million a night compared to teams like the Grizzlies-T'Wolves, that make less than $400,000 a night. The local television revenue that will be an issue too. The Lakers just signed a television contract worth as much as $3 billion over the next 20 years ($150 million a year). Compare that with the Kings who make only $11 million a year from their Comcast contract. They got to figure a way to balance that out.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Excellent work bro. 
pimp.gif

nerd.gif

I wanted to do three and five year contracts, but I thought three years might be too short. Six year contracts are too long, even with the team option to me. But like you said, I want deals front-loaded when players should be at their best during the contract's lifetime.

As far as ticket revenue, I read the Lakers-Knicks can make as much as $2 million a night compared to teams like the Grizzlies-T'Wolves, that make less than $400,000 a night. The local television revenue that will be an issue too. The Lakers just signed a television contract worth as much as $3 billion over the next 20 years ($150 million a year). Compare that with the Kings who make only $11 million a year from their Comcast contract. They got to figure a way to balance that out.

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Good stuff PMatic

Sounds like a good idea, the one year req rule is stupid. However, if owners want to keep that, your idea is fair for both sides.

Spoiler [+]
THE PMATIC PLAN

Salary Cap System

Phase In Period

Free Agency

Revenue Sharing

Other Issues

Good stuff PMatic

Sounds like a good idea, the one year req rule is stupid. However, if owners want to keep that, your idea is fair for both sides.

NBA season likely to be canceled, union chief says at seminar

NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter said Wednesday that if he "had to bet on it," he would wager that the entire 2011-12 season would be wiped out by the lockout.

"We're $800 million apart per year," Hunter told about 200 people during a seminar at a conference in Baltimore of the National Bar Association, an organization of predominantly African-American lawyers and judges.

The union chief said NBA commissioner David Stern was being limited in negotiations by hard-line owners.

"The circumstances have changed among his constituency," said Hunter, the executive director since 1996. "In the last six or seven years, there is a new group of owners to come in who paid a premium for their franchises, and what they're doing is kind of holding his feet to the fire."

Because negotiators are dug in, Hunter said "something has to happen that both of us can use as leverage to save face."

Asked by a conference attendee whether there would be a 2011-12 season, he replied: "If I had to bet on it at this moment, I would probably say no."

The NBA had no immediate response after being apprised of Hunter's comments, spokesman Tim Frank said.

The lockout began July 1. The NBA believes the economic model needs to change because, it says, 22 of its 30 teams are unprofitable. Among other changes, owners want to significantly reduce the players' share of basketball revenue from 57 percent.

"We agreed to go from 57 to 54," Hunter said.

Hunter was chatty and informal in his comments, encouraging audience members to ask difficult questions and saying he would be as candid as he could. The seminar's moderator said he would discourage questions about Hunter's private negotiating strategy. But Hunter commented on a variety of subjects, including a report — denied by the NBA — that Stern makes as much as $23 million a year.

"I think it's somewhat ironic. It's inconsistent to me" if Stern makes that much, Hunter said. While the NBA won't disclose executives' salaries, the $23 million has been disputed by the league and in media reports.

During the seminar, Hunter sat on a couch in a downtown hotel ballroom next to NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith. Last month, NFL players settled a 41/2-month labor dispute with owners.

"Billy is where I was two years ago," Smith said. The NFL labor battle "was a very long and extremely public fight. Our young men demonstrated a tremendous amount of resolve," Smith said.

Hunter said NBA players were also united. Of players' signing deals with overseas teams, he said: "I don't encourage them to go. We're not going to stand in their way.'

On Wednesday, Jordan Farmar of the New Jersey Nets became the latest player to head for the European leagues, joining former Nets teammates Deron Williams and Sasha Vujacic, according to multiple reports.

The NBA on Tuesday filed claims against the players association in federal court and with the National Relations Labor Relations Board. The league says the union has not been negotiating in good faith.

"We just don't have as much time as the NFL did," Stern told the Associated Press. "If the union sort of continued to drag its feet and then pursued its preferred decertification strategy, and if the same 41/2 months went by, we'd be well into our season."

The league said its latest proposal would keep average salaries of at least $5 million.

Hunter said owners initially demanded that "we give them back a billion dollars a year," and then it came down to $900 million.

"A month and a half ago, we gave them a proposal that we would give them back $100 million per year," the union chief said. "The gap is far between us."
Link

Welp.

NBA season likely to be canceled, union chief says at seminar

NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter said Wednesday that if he "had to bet on it," he would wager that the entire 2011-12 season would be wiped out by the lockout.

"We're $800 million apart per year," Hunter told about 200 people during a seminar at a conference in Baltimore of the National Bar Association, an organization of predominantly African-American lawyers and judges.

The union chief said NBA commissioner David Stern was being limited in negotiations by hard-line owners.

"The circumstances have changed among his constituency," said Hunter, the executive director since 1996. "In the last six or seven years, there is a new group of owners to come in who paid a premium for their franchises, and what they're doing is kind of holding his feet to the fire."

Because negotiators are dug in, Hunter said "something has to happen that both of us can use as leverage to save face."

Asked by a conference attendee whether there would be a 2011-12 season, he replied: "If I had to bet on it at this moment, I would probably say no."

The NBA had no immediate response after being apprised of Hunter's comments, spokesman Tim Frank said.

The lockout began July 1. The NBA believes the economic model needs to change because, it says, 22 of its 30 teams are unprofitable. Among other changes, owners want to significantly reduce the players' share of basketball revenue from 57 percent.

"We agreed to go from 57 to 54," Hunter said.

Hunter was chatty and informal in his comments, encouraging audience members to ask difficult questions and saying he would be as candid as he could. The seminar's moderator said he would discourage questions about Hunter's private negotiating strategy. But Hunter commented on a variety of subjects, including a report — denied by the NBA — that Stern makes as much as $23 million a year.

"I think it's somewhat ironic. It's inconsistent to me" if Stern makes that much, Hunter said. While the NBA won't disclose executives' salaries, the $23 million has been disputed by the league and in media reports.

During the seminar, Hunter sat on a couch in a downtown hotel ballroom next to NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith. Last month, NFL players settled a 41/2-month labor dispute with owners.

"Billy is where I was two years ago," Smith said. The NFL labor battle "was a very long and extremely public fight. Our young men demonstrated a tremendous amount of resolve," Smith said.

Hunter said NBA players were also united. Of players' signing deals with overseas teams, he said: "I don't encourage them to go. We're not going to stand in their way.'

On Wednesday, Jordan Farmar of the New Jersey Nets became the latest player to head for the European leagues, joining former Nets teammates Deron Williams and Sasha Vujacic, according to multiple reports.

The NBA on Tuesday filed claims against the players association in federal court and with the National Relations Labor Relations Board. The league says the union has not been negotiating in good faith.

"We just don't have as much time as the NFL did," Stern told the Associated Press. "If the union sort of continued to drag its feet and then pursued its preferred decertification strategy, and if the same 41/2 months went by, we'd be well into our season."

The league said its latest proposal would keep average salaries of at least $5 million.

Hunter said owners initially demanded that "we give them back a billion dollars a year," and then it came down to $900 million.

"A month and a half ago, we gave them a proposal that we would give them back $100 million per year," the union chief said. "The gap is far between us."
Link

Welp.

so I don't get an NBA season because lebron made Dan Gilbert mad and financially crippled the cavs. Stern promised a bunch of these new owners insane profits. promised them football money

I don't think the sport recovers this time around. sure hardcore fans on NT come back. But middle America isn't.

so I don't get an NBA season because lebron made Dan Gilbert mad and financially crippled the cavs. Stern promised a bunch of these new owners insane profits. promised them football money

I don't think the sport recovers this time around. sure hardcore fans on NT come back. But middle America isn't.

Back
Top Bottom