The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

i think after lebrons decision and melodrama during the season caused the small market teams to suffer and now the owners are salty... and other small market teams are probably worried their superstar will jump ship eventually also... but this is just my speculation... i don't understand this whole CBA thing... what does it mean if the players give back a 100 million? how does that affect futures salaries for free agency or teams salary cap? because the owners wanting 1 billion back is OD

Originally Posted by Statis22

Lol Nas the phone messed up my post but I was asking if the owners implemented salary floors (i.e. mandatory spending) could they withhold money generated from revenue made throughout the season?

That article look like it was posted pre lockout.
That I don't know. I mean, there's a salary floor right now and the owners keep local revenue so why not.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by you go boy

i think after lebrons decision and melodrama during the season caused the small market teams to suffer and now the owners are salty... and other small market teams are probably worried their superstar will jump ship eventually also... but this is just my speculation... i don't understand this whole CBA thing... what does it mean if the players give back a 100 million? how does that affect futures salaries for free agency or teams salary cap? because the owners wanting 1 billion back is OD
To put it simply, this lockout is about owners wanting guaranteed profits (and competitive balance too but it's a distant second). Currently, the players are guaranteed 57% of the Basketball Related Income (BRI). Stern and the owners want a ten year CBA that guarantees-caps the players at $2 billion each season. The owners also want to introduce a hard cap (their current offer is a "flex cap" which by all accounts is a hard cap), eliminate the MLE and Bi-Annual exceptions and shorten-reduce contracts.

The players want a new CBA that runs for five years (expires the same time as the current national TV contract with ESPN/ABC/TNT) and have offered to go down to 54% of the BRI. That projects to giving back a $100 million each season for the next five years. However, players also want to keep the current soft cap in place more or less. The players also believe revenue sharing between teams will help make things even on and off the court.

I hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Statis22

Lol Nas the phone messed up my post but I was asking if the owners implemented salary floors (i.e. mandatory spending) could they withhold money generated from revenue made throughout the season?

That article look like it was posted pre lockout.
That I don't know. I mean, there's a salary floor right now and the owners keep local revenue so why not.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by you go boy

To put it simply, this lockout is about owners wanting guaranteed profits (and competitive balance too but it's a distant second). Currently, the players are guaranteed 57% of the Basketball Related Income (BRI). Stern and the owners want a ten year CBA that guarantees-caps the players at $2 billion each season. The owners also want to introduce a hard cap (their current offer is a "flex cap" which by all accounts is a hard cap), eliminate the MLE and Bi-Annual exceptions and shorten-reduce contracts.

The players want a new CBA that runs for five years (expires the same time as the current national TV contract with ESPN/ABC/TNT) and have offered to go down to 54% of the BRI. That projects to giving back a $100 million each season for the next five years. However, players also want to keep the current soft cap in place more or less. The players also believe revenue sharing between teams will help make things even on and off the court.

I hope that helps.

It's over. I was so excited to see my Bulls continue to make leaps into the top tier of the league....but we aint getting no basketball folks.

It's over. I was so excited to see my Bulls continue to make leaps into the top tier of the league....but we aint getting no basketball folks.

But they also don't share revenue so I can see why they pocket local revenue now but if they implement more revenue sharing within the entire league then mandatory spending would rise and as it should say around 90%.

But they also don't share revenue so I can see why they pocket local revenue now but if they implement more revenue sharing within the entire league then mandatory spending would rise and as it should say around 90%.

is there a way where the players can give up revenue but still keep the mid level and bi level exception and also have a soft cap? the reduce contracts makes sense so that aint too bad...i just hope theres basketball even if its a shortened season..no season is a waste but i guess its good for free agents of 2012 so teams don't have to trade the kitchen sink for d12, cp3, and deron

is there a way where the players can give up revenue but still keep the mid level and bi level exception and also have a soft cap? the reduce contracts makes sense so that aint too bad...i just hope theres basketball even if its a shortened season..no season is a waste but i guess its good for free agents of 2012 so teams don't have to trade the kitchen sink for d12, cp3, and deron

^ dunno said from the article in the last page though

"A month and a half ago, we gave them a proposal that we would give them back $100 million per year," the union chief said. "The gap is far between us."

^ dunno said from the article in the last page though

"A month and a half ago, we gave them a proposal that we would give them back $100 million per year," the union chief said. "The gap is far between us."

The agent of Amare Stoudemire, Corey Brewer, Dejuan Blair and a few others:
http://twitter.com/Happywalters
@Happywalters I can confidently say that more NBA or RFA and UFA are going 2 start signing soon in Foreign Leagues. U may even hear of some surprises
@Happywalters this weekend. Some big names are close to giving it a shot while the silliness of the lockout continues. Stay tuned....
and
http://twitter.com/DraftExpress
@DraftExpress Can confirm @Happywalters' tweet. "Wide spread panic" is how one NBA agent described the situation to me. Many NBA signings coming next week
@DraftExpress For European teams willing to give outs, there are many NBA starters available for very reasonable prices. Opportunity for mid-level teams?

The agent of Amare Stoudemire, Corey Brewer, Dejuan Blair and a few others:
@Happywalters I can confidently say that more NBA or RFA and UFA are going 2 start signing soon in Foreign Leagues. U may even hear of some surprises
@Happywalters this weekend. Some big names are close to giving it a shot while the silliness of the lockout continues. Stay tuned....
and
@DraftExpress Can confirm @Happywalters' tweet. "Wide spread panic" is how one NBA agent described the situation to me. Many NBA signings coming next week
@DraftExpress For European teams willing to give outs, there are many NBA starters available for very reasonable prices. Opportunity for mid-level teams?

Originally Posted by DubA169

I don't think the sport recovers this time around. sure hardcore fans on NT come back. But middle America isn't.
This.
tired.gif

I don't think Stern or the owners realize that an extended lockout will hurt them more than it will help them.

I don't think the sport recovers this time around. sure hardcore fans on NT come back. But middle America isn't.
This.
tired.gif

I don't think Stern or the owners realize that an extended lockout will hurt them more than it will help them.

Originally Posted by you big dummy

This.
tired.gif

Ageed....
tired.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by you big dummy

This.
tired.gif

Ageed....
tired.gif
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom