The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League | USA VS South Sudan at 3 ET on Fox

MPG is NOT a good indicator of player movement :lol:

I mean, we don’t have any other metric to compare the 80s or 90s, with today other than that. They can actually track player movements nowadays with technology.

Dudes saying the 80s and 90s was all ISO ball…. But what are cats like Harden and Melo doing? Joe ISO Johnson??? kyrie, KD, dudes still play isolation basketball while their teammates look on.

Dudes don’t even cut hard to the basket anymore. Boys sit in one spot and refuse to move :lol: :lol:

You still got dudes who stand around nowadays….. dudes be hovering around the 3 point line like they in the club and don’t want their shoes to get stepped on.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: look at his teammates making sure they’re out of his way but okay

Last edited:
Wemby has to live in that body. It's easy to say "Just put on weight" but if things go wrong he has to deal with it. Being 7'5" is already dangerous enough in terms of injury risk.

image.jpg

d056a28c-8242-45b7-8bea-298dbef8fd8e_text.gif

I mean, we don’t have any other metric to compare the 80s or 90s, with today other than that. They can actually track player movements nowadays with technology.

Dudes saying the 80s and 90s was all ISO ball…. But what are cats like Harden and Melo doing? Joe ISO Johnson??? kyrie, KD, dudes still play isolation basketball while their teammates look on.

Dudes don’t even cut hard to the basket anymore. Boys sit in one spot and refuse to move :lol: :lol:

You still got dudes who stand around nowadays….. dudes be hovering around the 3 point line like they in the club and don’t want their shoes to get stepped on.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: look at his teammates making sure they’re out of his way but okay

And James harden was playing heavy minutes throughout his iso prime. And it’s not even hating on iso ball because it’s necessary and I’m all for it. Help defense is where the player movement has increased. The 86 Celtics watched MJ cook in a 1-4 flat. No doubles. Now you tilt towards the iso guys and then you still have to rotate deep corner or in the case of harden rotate to Ryan Anderson who they told to stand 3 feet behind the line.
Which makes my next point that you can’t play today if you can’t defend in space. Not the case 30 and 40 years ago

Last edited:
Yea, the articles that have come out with them the last week seem like they have a great plan in place for him. Especially the emphasis on his feet. We’ve seen foot injuries destroy the careers of these big guys like him
Absolutely.

Never thought that much about it before, but there's definitely been guys who did themselves a disservice by trying to put on additional weight before their frames were really ready to handle it. I like the plan they have for Vic.

Which makes my next point that you can’t play today if you can’t defend in space. Not the case 30 and 40 years ago
Which was the whole point of Gil's rant. Those guys weren't playing defense back then and couldn't play defense today. Laimbeer would get fried alive.

Acting as if Every Basketball player on the court nowadays is coming off multiple screens, or the average defender is covering & making up ground on several actions is dishonest as all hell :lol: .

This could all be so simple if people realize that these different eras are completely different games of basketball, with completely different skillsets & body types needed to succeed. And for whatever reason people conveniently leave out the EXTREME advances in science, preventive training, and just overall luxuries that these players have in order to keep their bodies in top tier condition & they still missing a quarter of the season. We could also talk about Teams barely practicing nowadays, compared to past eras where coaches were running full hours of practice consistently.

We not gonna sit here & act like the players of today are somehow going through some sort of rigorous toll on the body, that players of the past couldn't handle. We literally just saw a team rest players after being off a week & a half because their PRIVATE JET landed too late & it was too much of a risk to play...... :lol:

For all of those who said it would end up differently when he was traded for Harden? Saying us Sixers fans didn't know what we were losing, that we were too hard on him and too critical, blah blah blah?! I hate to be an "I told you so" but here we are!!!

I FREAKING TOLD YOU SO!!! 🤷🤷🤷🤷

Ben Simmons will be out of the league in less than 3 years. Said that to friends after the trade. He has ZERO trade value now!! NONE! ZIP! ZILCH! NADA!!

He wants the NBA paycheck, live the NBA lifestyle (gotta see if he's posting any recent pics of his newest Ferrari, lol) but he ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT want to put in the work in the gym to be better! What a bleeping fraud!!! Serves him right!! His career is a wrap!!

I'm just talking about the movement element. I didn't comment on anything else.

I like both brands of hoop 90's and present day.

Acting as if Every Basketball player on the court nowadays is coming off multiple screens, or the average defender is covering & making up ground on several actions is dishonest as all hell :lol: .

This could all be so simple if people realize that these different eras are completely different games of basketball, with completely different skillsets & body types needed to succeed. And for whatever reason people conveniently leave out the EXTREME advances in science, preventive training, and just overall luxuries that these players have in order to keep their bodies in top tier condition & they still missing a quarter of the season. We could also talk about Teams barely practicing nowadays, compared to past eras where coaches were running full hours of practice consistently.

We not gonna sit here & act like the players of today are somehow going through some sort of rigorous toll on the body, that players of the past couldn't handle. We literally just saw a team rest players after being off a week & a half because their PRIVATE JET landed too late & it was too much of a risk to play...... :lol:
Pretty sure Bill Laimbeer used to smoke camels during half time :lol:

Back
Top Bottom