The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League | USA VS South Sudan at 3 ET on Fox

There we go. Let’s unpack. Kinda wanna get DCAllAfrican & osh kosh bosh in here, for a fuller discussion on race/stereotypes/perception etc in basketball….Because we can go there :nerd:
1679590822692.gif

How come every player can get torn down but the second it happens to Jokic we have to take a step back realize it's wrong?

We didn't have full videos of Lebron paying bad defense with the Lakers? Clips of Westbrook missing jumpshots? I can keep going.

But cats post a few vids of Jokic being a cone in the paint and its "Nasty" and "Toxic".

In the 2020-2021 season, and the 2021-2022 season…

Were pundits in the National Media, insinuating that the reason Nikola Jokic was a leading MVP candidate is dude to him benefiting from being a white European?

This year def took a turn in that direction. It’s unmistakable. Assign to that what you want. It does not mean Michael Malone is “wrong” about his observation.

Simple

The 20-21 season Jokic wasn't even in the MVP talk until everybody got hurt. Embiid, Bron and Giannis was the leaders. Nuggets started off real slow that year then finished strong. Even though the 6ers still won more games.

Why are white people so uncomfortable talking about race? These are the same old MVP talks we always have, the only thing added is the race aspect. Because race was added to the Convo, it's now "nasty?" I think y'all are being overly dramatic... Pretending the racial doesn't exist tells me you are being very disingenuous or you're very naive. As a black man I can certainly say that I do love to see those who look like me, win and succeed. Now that doesn't mean I don't want to see others not win or that I can't root for anyone else that I don't view as my own. Now when JJ and Mike sat up there and acted like it was blasphemous to mention race amongst the voters, it just reminded me that even if they aren't racist, somes white folks just don't get it and never will. Them cats really believe those white voters are above racial biases. Tribalism is engrained in us all from our ancestors.

and you just proved my point. This year specifically, the conversation took a turn. I think it’s “toxic” and “nasty” for how they tear down players,

Nothing that is currently being said about jokic is worse than what was being said about westbrook the year he won MVP.. or has been said about other potential MVP candidates in previous years

hell dirk got roasted for years prior to winning that title

only thing that has changed this season is someone on a major sports network speaking of the “68%”

The 20-21 season Jokic wasn't even in the MVP talk until everybody got hurt. Embiid, Bron and Giannis was the leaders. Nuggets started off real slow that year then finished strong. Even though the 6ers still won more games.

Ah…so that was the topic of discussion for that season, mvp right?

Markedly different, “Jokic is only in the mvp convo because of white voters”.

Some Would call that “a turn”

Put something down on him preseason when he was +2500 :pimp:

If OKC makes the playoffs he’s gotta get it. He’s been their 2nd best player post ASB.
He's easily been the 2nd best rookie. Paolo has it on lock though.
He’s been so good Post ASB and Paolo is shooting 42% from the field and the worst from 3 in the entire league. Definitely have to give it to him. 2nd best player on a team that’s about to make the playoffs is too valuable to overlook.

All 3 of Dirk/Nash/Jokic had MVPs that were looked at sideways in real time. I don't see what's nasty about Perk observing that

That's what happens when you live on jumpers. Klay never drives to the rim, Steph has always been around 5 FT attempts a game. Who is supposed to get all these FT's? Dray?
The Warriors not attacking the paint has been a thing all year. All you gotta do is watch then play and it's obvious

All 3 of Dirk/Nash/Jokic had MVPs that were looked at sideways in real time

sideways.. but dirk got it the worse out of all of em, especially after that warriors L

hell nash got it worse than jokic too because all of the lakers/Kobe fans went at dude

jokic ain’t even getting it THAT bad.. it‘s just people like bill simmons now getting called out and getting defensive

Nothing that is currently being said about jokic is worse than what was being said about westbrook the year he won MVP.. or has been said about other potential MVP candidates in previous years

hell dirk got roasted for years prior to winning that title

only thing that has changed this season is someone on a major sports network speaking of the “68%”

Westbrook was mostly loved during his mvp season :lol:. He caught a lot of sympathy from KD leaving. That might’ve been his height actually.

There was a loud, not insignificant segment that called him a stat padder (myself included). He did do that. I thought Kawhi or Harden should’ve gotten it. But russ deserved it. 30-10-10 on a playoff team, you got it. The guy with 28-10-8 with more wins I thought should’ve gotten it (Harden), but no biggie.

Russell Westbrook won a tight mvp contest. He was deserving and had had people stating basketball reasons why they’d give it to Harden or Kawhi.

Once again, moving back to the original convo. What Michael Malone said about the turn in the mvp discussion this season is “not wrong”.

It changed. We saw it. We said the same things. You just tripping because HE SAID IT.

And if that’s where you are, then OKAY!

Thunder got the best young core? Having Shai jump into a Top 10-12ish player this season kinda a cheat code if I was to rank em'

I still really like the Magic though. Detroit not too far behind for me

Guess Rockets next

Back
Top Bottom