The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League | USA VS South Sudan at 3 ET on Fox

Mike should go to his block in West Chicago and shoot a response
wloalxc83au31.jpg

That's 100% down to the nonstop circus over in BK.

Plus PG and Kawhi don't put themselves out there in the headlines half as much so folks can only really judge them on what they see on the court and unfortunately we've gotten a tiny sample size of them actually playing together. Outside of the off-court perks, they haven't had their fingerprints all over the franchise decision making either.

Them not receiving the same type of coverage or heat is understandable given those factors. Plus the Clips are still the Clips even with 2 stars, the basketball media ecosystem would much rather hyper focus on poor Lakers squads than anything good or bad that the Clips have going on.

3 years on and it's looking like the only winners from Kawhi to the Clips have been Uncle Dennis and Sam Presti. Looks less and less that it was a basketball decision too rather than a homecoming gig to ride out the rest of his playing days. They gladly turned down the best basketball decision for them at the time in favor of what they've got now with Kawhi being a part time employee with exec privileges and getting to be at home.

100% fax. BK's situation is more public and more embarrassing overall. You alluded to it in your post but it is just kind of comical looking back at all they gave up in the form of SGA, draft capital, executive privileges and max contracts and where they ended up. It is a PG-13, less hardcore/invasive version of BK. Quiet Kawhi and Uncle Dennis with the finesse is my favorite part :lol:

I really wish Kawhi was healthy, though. He's so damn efficient with it. I didn't realize the man was almost 50/40/90 for his career :sick:

Sure in hindsight but at the time you could definitely understand the gamble they took with Kawhi being one of the highest profile FA's in recent memory coming off an All-Time playoff run.

They also didn't want to see him end up in the other locker room next door when they had a good shot so that played a part too
Spot on and pretty simple. Anyone who doesn’t get it is either disingenuous about the whole situation or just plain thick (in the British, mentally infirm sense of the word).

Sure in hindsight but at the time you could definitely understand the gamble they took with Kawhi being one of the highest profile FA's in recent memory coming off an All-Time playoff run.

They also didn't want to see him end up in the other locker room next door when they had a good shot so that played a part too
They bid against themselves at the end of the day. Presti took advantage of a desperate situation. No one else was pursuing PG like that and Kawhi basically forced them to overpay

Spot on and pretty simple. Anyone who doesn’t get it is either disingenuous about the whole situation or just plain thick (in the British, mentally infirm sense of the word).

Really it's Kawhi's ACL that ruined everything thus far.

But even in year 1, a once in a lifetime event transpired which directly impacted year two which directly impacted year 3. A lot of bad luck tbh. This is his 3rd actual season w/the team which is being impacted by what happened in year 2 :lol:

By year 2 they were already in the WCF with him averaging 30/6/8 on 57/39/88. Could of won it all that year if Joe Ingles didn't happen. He was having an all time playoff run again. Can't predict him blowing out his ACL which ended that season, and cancelled the season after. But you know...

Ah well. Luckily though, LAC's winning it all this year.

Last edited:
^^^ And all the current SGA love is funny to me because EYE very clearly remember being told in 2019 that we Clippers fans we overrating him.

Paul George was just coming off of a 1st team all NBA and 1st team all defense run that landed him 3rd in MVP voting
Kawhi had just had an all time playoff run in route to a title
Both under 30 at the time

Even if you thought SGA was going to be a multiple time all star, the draft capital and him for PG and Kawhi at that time is something 30 teams out of 30 are trading for. And the trade really only looks bad because Kawhi tore his ACL, which I'm sure we could have all predicted.

19'-20' 2nd seed top 5 on O and D before the league shut down for 4 months and resumed play at Disneyland due to Covid

20'-21' top 10 on O and D and Kawhi blows his knee out while having an all time playoff run in route to a conference finals

Next season throw away because of that

This season 10 games old.

That's really it. It's underwhelming for sure, but like...some context ya know :lol:

Really it's Kawhi's ACL that ruined everything thus far.

But even in year 1, a once in a lifetime event transpired which directly impacted year two which directly impacted year 3. A lot of bad luck tbh. This is his 3rd actual season w/the team which is being impacted by what happened in year 2 :lol:

By year 2 they were already in the WCF with him averaging 30/6/8 on 57/39/88. Could of won it all that year if Joe Ingles didn't happen. He was having an all time playoff run again. Can't predict him blowing out his ACL which ended that season, and cancelled the season after. But you know...

Ah well. Luckily though, LAC's winning it all this year.

What are you referencing in Year 1? According to my recollection:

Year 1 - Egregious Game 7 performances by both PG13 and Kawhi against Denver
Year 2 - WCF.....but Kawhi got hurt on their way there in the Semis
Year 3 - Excused absence for Kawhi due to Kawhi's injury
Year 4 - Kawhi plays 2 of the first 3 games then goes MIA for 8 straight and counting

Injuries are both unpredictable and unfortunate events that usually have an adverse effect outcomes but that doesn't make the outcomes any less disappointing IMHO. As a fan, I just want guys to be healthy for themselves personally and so we get the best possible games and there are no "excuses".

And the trade really only looks bad because Kawhi tore his ACL, which I'm sure we could have all predicted.

Also - to be clear, I am not criticizing the trade and recognize things have played out the way they have due to Kawhi's injury. I am just noting that it essentially led to a disappointing situation highly situation as a result. It is kind of like how we could not have predicted a global pandemic resulting a significant layoff nor could we predict NYC would have a vaccinated worked rule allowing Myrie to only play 29 regular games. Surprises happen.

Paul George was just coming off of a 1st team all NBA and 1st team all defense run that landed him 3rd in MVP voting
Kawhi had just had an all time playoff run in route to a title
Both under 30 at the time

Even if you thought SGA was going to be a multiple time all star, the draft capital and him for PG and Kawhi at that time is something 30 teams out of 30 are trading for. And the trade really only looks bad because Kawhi tore his ACL, which I'm sure we could have all predicted.
Yeah, I'm not comfortable comparing where Paul George, Kawhi were at at the time to Rudy Gobert being bounced by Jalen Brunson, Dinwiddie and Reggie Bullock

What are you referencing in Year 1? According to my recollection:

Year 1 - Egregious Game 7 performances by both PG13 and Kawhi against Denver
Year 2 - WCF.....but Kawhi got hurt on their way there in the Semis
Year 3 - Excused absence for Kawhi due to Kawhi's injury
Year 4 - Kawhi plays 2 of the first 3 games then goes MIA for 8 straight and counting

Injuries are both unpredictable and unfortunate events that usually have an adverse effect outcomes but that doesn't make the outcomes any less disappointing IMHO. As a fan, I just want guys to be healthy for themselves personally and so we get the best possible games and there are no "excuses".

I am not suggesting that the outcomes aren't disappointing, on the contrary I am very disappointed.

However this season is...10 games old. And last season he didn't even play due to what happened in year two.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable comparing where Paul George, Kawhi were at at the time to Rudy Gobert being bounced by Jalen Brunson and Reggie Bullock

Nasty behavior by ****** trying to be funny :lol:

Kawhi and P have both been all stars and all nba since they've been in LA. Kawhi was first team all NBA in 21' and 1st team all D in 21' too. That is...not that bad?

We're dealing with two years and 10 games if we're keeping it a stack.

Injury wise this year is off to a rough start but it's been 10 games. A lot to be written this season and seasons beyond. (Unless you think this era for LAC is already doomed because of KL's knees which is plausible)

Relitigating that trade as a 'aha' moment is just crazy disingenuous dawg what we doinnnn

Lol nba.com has a DPOY ladder. Top 10 players

AD isn’t on that list.

Nba media and blog boys are hilarious bc they don’t actually watch the games. It’s mind boggling

No doubt you go after Kawhi coming off a title and entering his prime years. If he said the only way is to get another star, you do not hesitate.
F them picks

Folks criticize org for being conservative. I rather have them put their chips in and try and compete

MJ is going to die with this beef. And to add insult to injury, MJ is going to buy the West Side of Chicago and make it a no fly zone for Isiah.

Nasty behavior by ****** trying to be funny :lol:

Kawhi and P have both been all stars and all nba since they've been in LA. Kawhi was first team all NBA in 21' and 1st team all D in 21' too. That is...not that bad?

We're dealing with two years and 10 games if we're keeping it a stack.

Injury wise this year is off to a rough start but it's been 10 games. A lot to be written this season and seasons beyond. (Unless you think this era for LAC is already doomed because of KL's knees which is plausible)

Relitigating that trade as a 'aha' moment is just crazy disingenuous dawg what we doinnnn
Not even stuck on the 10 games in thing, I mean like you said it is plausible that Kawhi's health is cooked. Which would be a shame

But if we're just comparing the situations (LAC vs Minnesota) for what they were at the time there isn't really a comparison

The discussion would be over at that point regardless if OKC still wins or has won the trade

In addition to Kawhi missing more than half of the team's games, PG has missed almost half the games as well. He hasn't equaled the season he had in OKC and never had a season like that prior. It was an overpay and plenty of people said as much in real time. Clippers went all in for a championship and have yet to achieve it. If you forfeit all your assets for 2 players who combine to play 50% of the time I don't see how you grade that deal favorably. There's still time however

Not even stuck on the 10 games in thing, I mean like you said it is plausible that Kawhi's health is cooked. Which would be a shame

But if we're just comparing the situations (LAC vs Minnesota) for what they were at the time there isn't really a comparison

The discussion would be over at that point regardless if OKC still wins or has won the trade

Minnesota would be OVER THE MOON if their guys got a CF out of this and guys were making All NBA.

If Kawhi's knee is truly cooked, and we only get 1 CF out of it than yes that would be bad.

But it all feels quite premature. He's played 2 seasons for LAC -- 2 :lol:

In addition to Kawhi missing more than half of the team's games, PG has missed almost half the games as well. He hasn't equaled the season he had in OKC and never had a season like that prior. It was an overpay and plenty of people said as much in real time. Clippers went all in for a championship and have yet to achieve it. There's still time however

This is just...

Man of course it's an overpay when you trade that much draft equity and player for ANY player.

But every team would have overpaid to get those guys together in that summer so what are we saying?

They laughed like it was preposterous when I said it but I see someone on that top 10 list that plays for the Clippers...
Laker legend zubac.

Not sure how much stock I put in any DPOY list without AD in it.

Back
Top Bottom