The Official NBA Season Thread: Puerto Rico vs Serbia at 11:15 | USA vs South Sudan at 3

Not sure if serious.

Could’ve sworn they already have multi million dollar guaranteed contracts to play basketball.
Dead serious

Could've sworn the owners were billionaires who are guaranteed to make hundreds of millions off the labor of the players

Players get paid to play during the regular season and playoffs. Complain effort there all you want

Being an all-star counts towards a player's legacy, sure, but that has to do with regular-season play.

The All-Star game itself is just a meaningless exhibition at the end of the day.

Dead serious

Could've sworn the owners were billionaires who are guaranteed to make hundreds of millions off the labor of the players

Players get paid to play during the regular season and playoffs. Complain effort there all you want

Being an all-star counts towards a player's legacy, sure, but that has to do with regular-season play.

The All-Star game itself is just a meaningless exhibition at the end of the day.

Dude was sympathizing for billionaires. :lol: :lol:

Charles Oakley got kicked out of a game for hurting a “billionaires” feelings once. Those billionaires are generating those same millions off the talent and appeal of these athletic performers. Pay up

I have THE solution for the all star game;

Before the all star game, Adam Silver goes out to center court, and gathers all the players and delivers the Vince "ruthless aggression" speech

He tells all the players;

"What made Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Bill Russel Michael Jordan, legends?"
"What quality did they all possess?"

QEFlLK.gif

...ruthless...AGGRESSION. cut to a slick video montage of Kobe highlights, quotes, scowling faces ect.

He announces, there will no longer be an all star game MVP award. there will now be, the "Mamba Mentality Trophy"
Awarded to the player that most exemplifies...ruthless...AGGRESSION.

along with briefcase of 1 million dollars in cash.

and there will be a second trophy awarded. It's the "Shaqtin a Fool Trophy"
awarded to the player that shows the least competitiveness.

Adam Silver ends his speech with;

Who among you wants to become a superstar? Who among you is the next legend.

If Silver gonna play it like that

He gotta go suit up and try to guard KD full court, because Vince did ring work too.

And if Draymond has a resurgence next season and is an All-Star again, Silver gonna have to deal with the consequences of Dray's ruthless aggression...

stone-cold-steve-austin.gif

Dead serious

Meaningless to who? The fans who paid the money to be there? The players before them who did it cause they actually like the game? I’m confused and ain’t even tryin to be a dk

Dude was sympathizing for billionaires. :lol: :lol:

Charles Oakley got kicked out of a game for hurting a “billionaires” feelings once. Those billionaires are generating those same millions off the talent and appeal of these athletic performers. Pay up

You lookin to co-sign so bad :smh:

No one is sympathetic.

Basketball is a game. A game in which these cats get paid millions. You’re telling me it’s far fetched to play semi competitive basketball cause the owners won’t pay them extra? Ok boss.

i was mostly joking but
the problem is it's cool to not try at the all star game.

You need to find a way to flip that. make it uncool and embarrassing to not be serious.
they need some kind of ability to shame and call people out.

injury excuses are lame and fake;
NBA players will happily play pick up games so they can get clips for their instagram channels in the summer but can't try during the all star game?

nah they just wanna be cool, and they are damaging the product and hurting the league,.
it's a selfish act that disrespects the legends and history of the league.

If Wilt tried, if Magic tried, if Kobe tried. im sorry Luka Doncic you aren't too good to try.

I think the NBA is just the sport people love to complain about. Even when things are good people complain (myself included).

As long as they show up for the post season it's all good.
Someone on here said it well. Something along the terms of “Instead of celebrating greatness, we ask what is wrong with the league.”

This is why everyone should purchase league pass at the start of the season instead of looking for handouts and discount codes.

The league needs the revenue so they can pay the players to try in the Allstar game.

the more I think about it, the more galling it is.

Adam Silver needs to call them out publicly. Michael Jordan was out here trying, but Tyrese Maxey thinks he's too good to try?
David Robinson was out there trying but nah Karl Towns thinks he's too cool for that?

go out and give the same effort you give during those New York runs with hoodie Melo.

this level of effort should be the minimum. it should look like actual basketball.
don't talk about injuries. almost no one got hurt in these games.

Adam Silver needs to call them out publicly. Michael Jordan was out here trying, but Tyrese Maxey thinks he's too good to try?
David Robinson was out there trying but nah Karl Towns thinks he's too cool for that?

go out and give the same effort you give during those New York runs with hoodie Melo.
Towns was trying.

i was mostly joking but
the problem is it's cool to not try at the all star game.

You need to find a way to flip that. make it uncool and embarrassing to not be serious.
they need some kind of ability to shame and call people out.

injury excuses are lame and fake;
NBA players will happily play pick up games so they can get clips for their instagram channels in the summer but can't try during the all star game?

nah they just wanna be cool, and they are damaging the product and hurting the league,.
it's a selfish act that disrespects the legends and history of the league.

If Wilt tried, if Magic tried, if Kobe tried. im sorry Luka Doncic you aren't too good to try.
100% this :lol:

They'll hoop with effort in the offseason or summer league in other meaningless games but it's too much to ask to try during the league's showcase event?

The irony in not giving effort because of injury concerns is that you're much likelier to see injuries when guys are messing around compared to playing seriously.

If it wasn't considered beneath older and All-Time legends of the game and greats, it's absolutely not beneath these new guys to try now and then :lol:

The opposite just makes everybody involved look bad, no exceptions, without good reason

Meaningless to who?

I mean in general. The results of the game are meaningless. Money is not on the line, it doesn't affect standings, homecourt in playoffs, players' bonuses, or anything.

The results of it are as consequential as a preseason exhibition game at a neutral site.

The in-season tournament means more.

The fans who paid the money to be there?

So after year after year after year of the game being how it is, I think a fan that buys a ticket to the game knows what they are gonna get.

They want to go to the All-Star game because it is a cool experience.

I think it would be silly for someone to buy a ticket to an all-star game and leave it being surprised or upset at the lack of competitiveness

The players before them who did it cause they actually like the game?

None of the current players are required to play hard out of some dedication to retired players.

Only a handful of All-Star games are really memorable anyway

I’m confused and ain’t even tryin to be a dk

Nah, **** Silver

The players' made a business decision he doesn't like and he can't control

If he wants better, he should do more than just talk

getting paid to perform in an all star game aint it. at all
it should be seen as a privilege rather than a chore
maybe i'm being idealistic here, but i see it as a payback to fans, primarily

on the corporate side however, it took about 45 minutes for the game to start last night.
stuff like that also contributes to frustration when you have a build up then the game ends up flat

Nah, **** Silver

The players' made a business decision he doesn't like and he can't control

If he wants better, he should do more than just talk

sure i think it's a terrible business decision,
Adam Silver should illustrate why it's terrible business decision, and he should do everything in his power to shame them,

but I agree he should do something not just talk, fine them, come up loser award for the player who doesn't try.
something.

So the players silent quit :wow: Maybe Silver knew this that’s why he was upset at the end :lol:

If Silver gonna play it like that

He gotta go suit up and try to guard KD full court, because Vince did ring work too.

And if Draymond has a resurgence next season and is an All-Star again, Silver gonna have to deal with the consequences of Dray's ruthless aggression...

stone-cold-steve-austin.gif
I just know Silver would sell the stunner more like Linda than Vince

1708370540210.gif

So after year after year after year of the game being how it is, I think a fan that buys a ticket to the game knows what they are gonna get.

They want to go to the All-Star game because it is a cool experience.

I think it would be silly for someone to buy a ticket to an all-star game and leave it being surprised or upset at the lack of competitiveness

None of the current players are required to play hard out of some dedication to retired players.

1) At this point, you’re right. Buying a ticket to the game now is knowing what you’re gonna get. My counter to this is that it wasn’t always this way.

Competitive basketball, especially in the all star game, left with Kobe.

2) Again, you’re right, these cats don’t owe it to the retired players before them.

THEY OWE IT TO THE GAME ITSELF.

Especially when we see more intense basketball from these cats when they making they IG reels.

This idea that NBA players are simply making a calculated business decision I find hard to believe.
NBA players try all the time in meaningless games, you'll see NBA players try in the Drew League, summer Pro-Ams, in Private runs, in Open Runs.

I think the reason they don't try is because it is trendy and cool to not try.

the All Star game is a product that the NBA sells to broadcasters, that is all part of BRI.
I find it weird, that you would try for the Drew League against, random D-II hoopers who could just as easily injure you.

but you won't try for the biggest promotional event for the league you are 50% partners in?

Back
Top Bottom