The Official NBA Season Thread: Puerto Rico vs Serbia at 11:15 | USA vs South Sudan at 3

I have THE solution for the all star game;

Before the all star game, Adam Silver goes out to center court, and gathers all the players and delivers a speech.

He tells all the players;

"What made Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Bill Russel Michael Jordan, legends?"
"What quality did they all possess?"

QEFlLK.gif

...ruthless...AGGRESSION. cut to a slick video montage of Kobe highlights, quotes, scowling faces ect.

He announces, there will no longer be an all star game MVP award. there will now be, the "Mamba Mentality Trophy"
Awarded to the player that most exemplifies...ruthless...AGGRESSION.

along with briefcase of 1 million dollars in cash.

and there will be a second trophy awarded. It's the "Shaqtin a Fool Trophy"
awarded to the player that shows the least competitiveness.

Adam Silver ends his speech with;

Who among you wants to become a superstar? Who among you is the next legend????!

Players gonna be amped

CtIWzsBXEAAvmpG.jpg
wEPJqH.gif

crazy that "just pay the players more" is seen as a viable solution to the all star game issues from some
some of these players are making well over $30 million per year (and that price tag is rising quick)

just give fans what they want. power to the people! :lol:

The IST will suffer the same fate next year like the Kobe MVP award.

People only put effort because it was first one.
Nah, 500k is a lot to many players. If you're on a two-way, vet minimum, Rookie contract, MLE, 500k is a big % of your pay. These dudes with max contracts are taking up 2-3 spots on a roster tops, that leaves 10+ players who want a significant bonus

crazy that "just pay the players more" is seen as a viable solution to the all star game issues from some
some of these players are making well over $30 million per year (and that price tag is rising quick)

just give fans what they want. power to the people! :lol:
But that’s literally what it took to get them to play hard in an actual regular season game that counts on your record lol

To me, it starts with the coaches. I hardly saw any plays run all night. The east was going on multiple runs early on and Finch made 0 adjustments. Had to be forced to call a timeout. Doc was openly saying he didn't want to be there. You want the players to try but the coaches dgaf about this game. There’s a bigger problem here.

I really had no idea players didn't get paid for All Star weekend. Give them an incentive.
The winning team doesn't have to meet the 65 game requirement to qualify for awards.
Deduct 5-7 games from the total threshold. Boom, problem solved.
You're welcome Silver.

Waiting on someone like Obi to bring the double thru the legs to the big stage.

There are dunks out there but these NBA dudes can’t do them. They’re focused on getting their games into NBA form and rightfully so so iiwii there.

Ain't no cot damn reason for a billion dollar entity to be doing any of these. People gotta be realistic.

I have THE solution for the all star game;

Before the all star game, Adam Silver goes out to center court, and gathers all the players and delivers a speech.

He tells all the players;

"What made Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Bill Russel Michael Jordan, legends?"
"What quality did they all possess?"

QEFlLK.gif

...ruthless...AGGRESSION. cut to a slick video montage of Kobe highlights, quotes, scowling faces ect.

He announces, there will no longer be an all star game MVP award. there will now be, the "Mamba Mentality Trophy"
Awarded to the player that most exemplifies...ruthless...AGGRESSION.

along with briefcase of 1 million dollars in cash.

and there will be a second trophy awarded. It's the "Shaqtin a Fool Trophy"
awarded to the player that shows the least competitiveness.

Adam Silver ends his speech with;

Who among you wants to become a superstar? Who among you is the next legend????!

IMG_2280.png

serious question; how many serious injuries have their been in NBA all star games?

Dwade broke Kobe's nose i remember.
Not a direct injury, but I remember one year Kemba played with bad knees and subsequently missed games after the ASB.
I really had no idea players didn't get paid for All Star weekend. Give them an incentive.
The winning team doesn't have to meet the 65 game requirement to qualify for awards.
Players do get paid. Forgot who posted it but winning team gets $100k and losing team gets $25k.

I think people are totally wrong on this USA vs Europe development thing.

i think the skill level of european players comes from the fact they come from countries where soccer is the most popular sport.
It's not because they have them in academies at younger ages.

USA youth player are generally more dynamic and creative.

We make the mistake of thinking that Jokic, Luka are the product of development
rather than rare talents who player multiple sports that translate well to basketball.

USA system and European system have pros and cons. but people are way way way too down on USA basketball development.

You're welcome Silver.

Less games = less money for everyone. That's not a realistic solution.

The money is bigger than ever, from all what they say that's the only way to get them to compete but I think it's just a rouse, they won't compete with more money on the line at all multiple dudes saying they don't want to be there and these are the superstars of the league.

I think putting up embarrassing performances during biggest promotional event on the league calendar on at a time when no other sports are on,
is bad for the league in a way that extends beyond the dollars and cents of how much the all star games gets in the TV Deal.

the league spends huge amounts of money on commercials marketing the league. the all star game is essentially one giant commercial for NBA basketball.
and it's horrible.

it's harder to measure, but I don't think it's smart business at all to pretend like it doesn't matter.

I am not pretending it doesn't matter. I just spelled out a way it does matter business-wise.

I am saying all things considered it doesn't matter to the players. And I completely understand why.

Furthermore, the players do things outside the League structure, to promote the game, for example, off-season international tours.

And I don't think the competitiveness of the game is all that consequential to the league, even in marketing.

So on balance, I would give them a pass.

All this "can't you see how they are hurting the brand" to me is just dressing up a "they are making the owners agree" argument.

This is such a bad business decision, you know it is horrible, and you have no way of quantifying it.

Sorry, not really convincing IMO

The NBA has all their revenue data, they can put a price on it.

how many injuries have we had during the all star game? people act like this is a common thing. NBA player don't even play in it unless they are 100% healthy.
how did older player who had less rest, able to play harder and avoid injury?

I just don't think it's any serious risk at all, other than the risk of playing basketball.
which NBA player happily do for pro ams, open-runs private runs.

It is not that common, but it doesn't have to be common for players to consider the risk.

Take Devin Booker for example. His play and team record put him on the borderline of being all-NBA. The last part of the season will decide. He picked up minor lower leg injuries early in the team that made him miss a couple of games. He played with those injuries and hurt himself some more.

After that BS ejection that the league counts against him, he is on track to not play enough games to qualify for any awards, even if he does nuts in the last part of the season.

Why should not think that him pulling a hamstring (which he does a lot) or turning an ankle (relatively minor injuries) would be a risk he wants to minimize? If he was playing on his Supermax contract, all NBA would be even more consequential for him.

I don't think the injury risk is some "I might tear my ACL out there" type of stuff. But more on the margin. All it has to do is seem like a credible risk. And unless you can show it to be 0%, then it is credible.

The risk of injury doesn't have to be common, it just has to be a real consideration for it to be impactful on player judgment

Most of the time, players would not get injured in a competitive game. But when it does happen, that player gonna look foolish and he will get nothing extra from the fans, Adam Silver, or anyone else than some hoop equivalent of "thoughts and prayers"

-I think off-season runs count as off-season training in players' minds too. And again, we see 100% of the all-star game. But a small fraction of NBA players playing offseason.

Like Jokic clearly doesn't take this game seriously, post his Rico Hines runs for me then.

fine try carrot first, I just don't think it will work because NBA player make so much money.

The same logic can be applied to your idea of fines. Do you think a $50,000 fine gonna make players try harder?

You are gonna have to fine them huge amounts.

Amounts that the Player's Association will probably have to agree to.

What do you think the Player's Association gonna be more open to, bonuses or fines?

imo this is fundamentally about what is cool to do and what isn't. its a social thing imo.

Nah, I disagree. I just think the players, given market conditions, know there isn't a real need to give a damn.

Last edited:
Clown really tagged Melo too
Melo and him are both clowns. He beat cancer and is wasting time on made up beefs. No one in Denver cares about Melo or GK. Melo keeps wanting Denver fans to love him here and most do for turning the franchise around. Not sure what his woe is me complex is all about. He wanted out and was moved out to his preferred destination. Had his marriage worked out and Denver not won a championship he wouldn't be talking.

There's absolutely nothing either one of them or anyone around them has said Melo has done for him to keep being on this weird ****. This the type of stuff that gets you outta character and in trouble.
What’s crazy is this dude had cancer… multiple times I believe.

He should be nicer :lol:

But that’s literally what it took to get them to play hard in an actual regular season game that counts on your record lol
there used to be a time when parity for players was something i was all for
but nba players have become a corporate entity unto themselves.
my politics get in the way of granting them (and especially owners) the benefit of doubt too often these days.
maybe it's a generational thing as i see many newer ones asking for more while contributing less.

Back
Top Bottom