The Official NBA Season Thread: Derrick Rose Retires 🌹

I see where Swaggy P is coming from. A lot of these nerds run with these labels and get to decide what’s good basketball and what’s not. And I love analytics, but I was a hooper for so long that I definitely see where he coming from. A lot of politics

IMG_5617.jpeg
IMG_5618.jpeg
IMG_5620.jpeg

OR you’re trying to prop yourself up against better/more complete basketball players :lol:
Never that 😂 I was amateur at best lol. I was just saying though, the NBA doesn’t really prioritize guys that are just good at ball no more. They would take a worse player with a longer wingspan over a guy averaging 20 ppg in a small conference

Never that 😂 I was amateur at best lol. I was just saying though, the NBA doesn’t really prioritize guys that are just good at ball no more. They would take a worse player with a longer wingspan over a guy averaging 20 ppg in a small conference
I didn’t actually mean YOU :lol:

Everyone that plays IS good at ball. No decent team is just putting bums out there. At a certain point guys have to fit into a role though.

Last edited:
Like Nick Young is a better scorer than someone like Sam Hauser. But he needs the ball a lot to do it. And he doesn’t deserve the ball as much as Tatum or Brown if he’s on the court because he’s not as good as THEM at it.

Meanwhile someone like Hauser can space the floor, shoot at an extremely high level, doesn’t need to even dribble the ball, and can hold his own defensively.

He’s a more useful player than Swaggy despite not being the same kind of scorer. It’s not analytics. Just common sense.

Players like Nick Young have existed long before analytics were introduced to basketball. And they promptly got moved or benched when it was time to win.
Right.

I’m sure most of who played a lot of organized ball growing up had dudes on teams with tighter handles and fancier lay-up packages than other guys, but didn’t get a lot of minutes because of terrible shot selection/turn overs/lack-of-defense.

But what if the "scorer" could do all those things that the other player does, he just always has been the first option? For example Im sure Tatum could of did all the things Derrick White was doing for team USA if he put his mind to it. But White does not have the talent to do what Tatum can do. Hypothetically. Some guys in the league today they just box in too early I feel.

Like Nick Young is a better scorer than someone like Sam Hauser. But he needs the ball a lot to do it. And he doesn’t deserve the ball as much as Tatum or Brown if he’s on the court because he’s not as good as THEM at it.

Meanwhile someone like Hauser can space the floor, shoot at an extremely high level, doesn’t need to even dribble the ball, and can hold his own defensively.

He’s a more useful player than Swaggy despite not being the same kind of scorer. It’s not analytics. Just common sense.
Such a basic concept that eludes “bag” twitter & social media :lol:

has the hitch always been this visible?

Looks awful. If the percentages are fine I guess it’s no issue but you typically want to speed up your release, it’s much slower now and he’s exposing the ball more than usual on the gather.

Good at ball =/= Good at winning basketball.

Not enough emphasis is put on non box score things that win games. That's why American born players are slowly losing their dawg. That and it's slowly being diluted with the influx of suburban AAU culture.

I honestly think conversations will be very different if we start using cap % rather than dollar amount. Like some of these contracts will have higher $ amounts later on but a lower cap hit. I also get that talking that way will mean less clicks on articles but it's a way more accurate way of looking at things.

But what if the "scorer" could do all those things that the other player does, he just always has been the first option? For example Im sure Tatum could have did all the things Derrick White was doing for team USA if he put his mind to it. But White does not have the talent to do what Tatum can do. Hypothetically. Some guys in the league today they just box in too early I feel.
Tatum couldn’t make a jumper and didn’t want to shoot them. Booker did all of those things you wanted Tatum to do.

They had the same opportunities

Back
Top Bottom