The Official NBA Season Thread

Most expensive place to live in the Country and doesn’t have the offsetting benefit of great year-round weather that other high COL cities like LA and Miami do.

Honestly think that’s more of a consideration for NBA free agents than any cache that comes with playing for the Knicks/in MSG.
For the average Joe, sure. Wealthy celeb athletes typically are not the ones complaining about COL in NYC :lol:

The CP expiring and Shamet’s contract allows Washington to just start over with little to no “bad money”. Might be what the front office wants.

Nope. CP plus filler.

Beal could just veto anything substantial.

Beal being worth just this is crazy :lol: :wow:

The Don really looking to pull off his magic, if it goes down without including any shooters/real depth...

If the Heat get Beal without trading Herro or Duncan and only have to give up Lowry and Oladipo :rofl:

EYE have been trying to tell y’all about the Lowry expiring being the move over Herro since dacomeup dacomeup and I started the Beal dialogue while y’all were hoping for a Wizards tank/rebuild around Herro and Duncan Robinson :lol:

I will admit I definitely didn’t expect them to be able to swap Vic and Duncan, though :wow:

dead (1).png

Wizards are setting themselves to be the team that enters every FA with a a ton of cap space and outbids every other team with massive 1-2 year deals (unless they find a legit guy willing to sign long-term) as they try and rebuild through the draft.

Or they may land in another KP/Kuz situation where they acquire some legit guys who want to stay and the Wiz actually have the money to resign them and youth to pair with them.

EYE have been trying to tell y’all about the Lowry expiring being the move over Herro since dacomeup dacomeup and I started the Beal dialogue while y’all were hoping for a Wizards tank/rebuild around Herro and Duncan Robinson :lol:

I will admit I definitely didn’t expect them to be able to swap Vic and Duncan, though :wow:
I’d still rather have the Herro package if I’m Washington. Team is still not going to be good with them. And they’re gonna end up with cap space with nobody actually wanting to go there.

Most expensive place to live in the Country and doesn’t have the offsetting benefit of great year-round weather that other high COL cities like LA and Miami do.

Honestly think that’s more of a consideration for NBA free agents than any cache that comes with playing for the Knicks/in MSG.

Yeah, in the past New York was the media capital so the high taxes got offset with marketing deals.

With social media now and other new media avenues, dudes don’t need to be in NY anymore or major markets like that anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah, in the past New York was the media capital so the high taxes got offset with marketing deals.

With social media now and other new media avenues, dudes don’t need to be in NY anymore or major markets that like that anymore.
Sort of related to the point about marketing deals, yesterday I saw a giant picture of Austin Reeves on a billboard along the 405 around Long Beach. Billboard was for a law firm specializing in California’s Lemon Law.

Austin is cashing in while he’s hot in the LA streets. Good for him.

Phoenix and Miami both know Beal contract is garbage, but feel like they're a piece away from championship contenders.
Miami probably offer: Lowry, Vic, don't want to include Herro
Phoenix probably offer: Paul, Shamet, don't want to include Ayton

Washington just wants out of Beals contract, but will take best expirings/young pieces/picks they can get

Wizards’ Bradley Beal trade talks heat up: Which players could deals with Heat and Suns include?

The Washington Wizards, as The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported earlier Saturday, are seriously contemplating trade offers for three-time All-Star guard Bradley Beal from the Miami Heat and Phoenix Suns.

According to league sources, who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the trade talks, Miami would send guards Kyle Lowry and Duncan Robinson, along with multiple first-round picks, to Washington for Beal. Phoenix would send center Deandre Ayton or future Hall of Fame point guard Chris Paul to the Wizards for Beal.

The offers indicate a rapid escalation in trade talks for Beal, who has agreed with the Wizards to help facilitate a trade if Washington decides a radical reset of its roster is in order before Thursday’s NBA draft. Wizards governor Ted Leonsis has given his blessing to his team’s new management structure, headed by president of Monumental Basketball Michael Winger and general manager Will Dawkins, to do whatever it deems necessary to revamp the team, which went 35-47 this past season and missed the playoffs for the fourth time in five years. Leonsis fired former GM Tommy Sheppard in late April.

Beal negotiated a no-trade clause, the only one currently in the NBA, with the Wizards before signing his five-year, $251 million maximum-salary deal with the team last summer, and must approve any potential trade Washington makes with another team, limiting the potential deals the Wizards could make for the 29-year-old. Beal is coming off of one of his most efficient seasons in his career, averaging 23.2 points, 5.4 assists and 3.9 rebounds last season. He shot better than 50 percent last season for the first time in his career, and his .365 percentage on 3-pointers was his highest in the last five years.

While the Wizards would prefer guard Tyler Herro to be in any potential trade with Miami, the Heat, for now, are trying to keep Herro out of the deal, offering Robinson instead. Beal would give Miami a needed additional scorer to go with Jimmy Butler, Herro and center Bam Adebayo. The Heat are believed to be among Beal’s most preferred teams for a trade.

Dawkins has a prior relationship with Paul dating back to CP3’s season (2019-20) in Oklahoma City with the Thunder, when he helped lead OKC to an unexpected playoff run, where the Thunder lost a tough seven-game series with the Rockets in the first round in the bubble at Disney. Dawkins spent 15 seasons in Oklahoma City’s front office before taking the GM job in Washington.

Ayton, the first pick overall in the 2018 draft, has fallen out of favor in Phoenix, even though the Suns matched the four-year, $132.9 million offer sheet Ayton received last year from the Indiana Pacers. Ayton and former coach Monty Williams had a chilly relationship, with Williams benching Ayton during Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals series with Dallas in 2022. The Suns hired ex-Lakers, Magic and Pacers coach Frank Vogel earlier this month, but that does not appear to have significantly improved their relationship with the 24-year-old Ayton, who averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds this past season for Phoenix.

Acquiring Ayton would likely complicate any chances the Wizards retain their current starting center, Kristaps Porziņģis, who faces a deadline this coming Wednesday on whether or not to opt in on his player option for the 2023-24 season, at $36 million. If Porziņģis declines his player option, he would become an unrestricted free agent next month.

The Suns told Paul earlier this month that they would work with him to resolve his future, whether through a trade, waiver or re-signing him in Phoenix to a smaller deal after being waived. The 38-year-old point guard has two years remaining on the four-year, $120 million contract he signed in 2021. But only $15.8 million of the $30.8 million he’s due for the 2023-24 season is guaranteed if Paul is waived before June 28, while none of the $30 million Paul is due in 2024-25 is guaranteed if he is waived before June 28, 2024. So Washington would only be on the hook for the guaranteed $15.8 million this year on its salary cap if it acquired Paul for Beal, but then waived him before the 28th of this year.

I’d still rather have the Herro package if I’m Washington. Team is still not going to be good with them. And they’re gonna end up with cap space with nobody actually wanting to go there.

I hear you but I could see why instead of be bad by committing $30MM annually on Herro they could also be bad by just overpaying 1 guy or 1-2 guys on short deals. Either way they spend the same amount and are bad but the latter would give them more latitude in the short term as their rebuilding. Could maybe move those guys at some point and get additional picks too.

Both options are viable and make sense to me but it’s just a matter of preference.

Back
Top Bottom