The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's fine, I wasn't defending SAS history.
I was defending the specific point.

the point that I was making agree or disagree was not "contrarian"
I think you should acknowledge that.
You are putting a gloss on what SAS said that removes all context and the way that he said it. He's Stephen A. Smith; if he thought that point was "banal and obvious" he wouldn't of said it because that's not what he gets paid to do.

Yes, "people who live and work in a country generally benefit from learning that county's primary language" is an arguably obvious concept.

MLB Superstar Shoehei Ohtani is hurting baseball by speaking through an interpreter, which is what SAS said, is not banal and obvious. Nor was it intended to be.

You are putting a gloss on what SAS said that removes all context and the way that he said it. He's Stephen A. Smith; if he thought that point was "banal and obvious" he wouldn't of said it because that's not what he gets paid to do.

Yes, "people who live and work in a country generally benefit from learning that county's primary language" is an arguably obvious concept.

MLB Superstar Shoehei Ohtani is hurting baseball by speaking through an interpreter, which is what SAS said, is not banal and obvious. Nor was it intended to be.

lolwut?
SAS says obvious things all the time.

people don't tune into SAS for some groundbreaking analysis. or earth shattering observations.
they tune in because he's an entertaining and charismatic TV personality.

saying it hurts when your biggest star can't speak the language of primary audience
is the principle as "people who live and work in a country generally benefit from learning that countries primary language"
just applied to a company.

if you think there is some latent xenophobia in SAS statements fine.
I don't, and I don't think you need to be an exaggerator or a contrarian to come to that conclusion.

Not that the would-be trade would have mattered considered AD got hurt in round one, but was Lowry healthy and sitting out games because the Raptors were tanking last season? Or was he legit hurt?

1643671123975.png

They steal our takes….

I said something along these lines last week.

:smh::smh:

Ja can take this take over at a moments notice. He playing a bit relaxed it seems

Perfectly said. Confidence is one thing, being an infatuated w hore is another. Morey couldn’t help but to always talk and be the super square that he’s always been.

Also, had they managed to make it past the Warriors, they would’ve politely got the Cavs out the way 4-2 max, and Lebron would’ve aggressively snatched his jersey off again

lolwut?
SAS says obvious things all the time.

people don't tune into SAS for some groundbreaking analysis. or earth shattering observations.
they tune in because he's an entertaining and charismatic TV personality.

saying it hurts when your biggest star can't speak the language of primary audience
is the principle as "people who live and work in a country generally benefit from learning that countries primary language"
just applied to a company.

if you think there is some latent xenophobia in SAS statements fine.
I don't, and I don't think you need to be an exaggerator or a contrarian to come to that conclusion.
Even assuming there were no xenophobic/racist motives behind them, I still think, in the context of a generational superstar athlete, who was already getting people out to stadiums in droves, SAS’ comments were silly and misinformed.

Otani is a phenomenon whether he speaks English or not. Him speaking English more would make zero to negligible difference in his popularity and people’s interest level in him.

And I already know what your response will be to this, so type it out if you feel like it, but I’ve said all I have to say on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom