The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CC5BE2BB-27E6-4572-8C5C-BA6D642106AD.jpeg

Classic bad contract for bad contract trade.

The wizards have mastered it. Trading Wall, Russ,Bertans and Dinwiddie

Can Dinwiddie get back to pre-injury off-the-bench Brooklyn Dinwiddie where he can be a 6th man that can give you 17/5/5 a night, handle the ball some with the second unit, and shoot 45/34/80 shooting splits with less pressure be a lead guard?

If he's THAT guy, $17m isn't a bad deal at all.

Interested as hell how do his plays out with the nets

They needed Ben and got curry.. Ben now can do what he does well surrounded by KD, curry and however much kyrie is there

But for multiple reasons I hope the shh fails

I don’t see how the Wizards Mavs is even. Like yeah Porzingis is not very good, but Bertans is god awful, Dinwiddie is at least a bad as KP, and they cost more.
KP’s durability issues tanked his market, so with the trade the Mavs are free from half of his remaining money a year early because Dinwiddie’s last year isn’t fully guaranteed.

They just paid Dorian & have to pay Brunson so they get to avoid the luxury tax while they figure out what to do next.

KP was actually pretty good when healthy, so Washington gets the best player in the deal.

So, even.

Classic bad contract for bad contract trade.

The wizards have mastered it. Trading Wall, Russ,Bertans and Dinwiddie

They had a good thing going when they turned Wall into Westbrook and then split him into several smaller pieces. However, today was a classic Wizards move of compounding mistakes....trying to fix two of them by swapping them for one.

Beal's certainly going to sign that deal pretending like he believes in a core of himself, Kuz, and KP...and then ask out later :lol:

Team will provide the LULz tho

1. The Nets were in Cleveland Jan. 17. In their locker room before the game, Kyrie Irving lit ablaze some sage — a Native American ritual Irving has embraced in order to cleanse negative energy. Irving doesn’t do this before every game, but he apparently still feels haunted by parts of his past on the Cavs. So he lit his torch.

2. Harden, according to sources who were in the room when it happened, was seated in front of his locker, watching Irving, and looked at Kyrie like he had three heads.

3. “Definitely a weird vibe between them,” one source said. “You could tell Harden was annoyed, and Kyrie wasn’t feeling James.”

4. In two seasons, Harden has quit on two different teams until they traded him. When he tries to explain this one, my guess is he will not come out and say, explicitly, that he wanted to be as far away from Kyrie as possible. But make no mistake, Irving had something to do with it.

5. Opening night — so, Oct. 19 — in Milwaukee, I asked Harden, point blank, if he was happy with the Nets. “Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely,” he said. I asked because the night before, the NBA’s deadline for contract extensions passed without Harden signing one to stay in Brooklyn past this season. “I love it here,” he said. “I feel at home. It’s nothing to worry about.” What changed?

6. The Nets were in first place on New Year’s Eve, in spite of a COVID-19 surge that ripped through the team. On Jan. 5, the day of Irving’s first game this season, Brooklyn was 1 ½ games behind the Bulls for first. The Nets, as a matter of fact, were in first in the East as recently as Jan. 22. They have not won since.

7. Yes, there are a number of factors that play into this current nine-game losing streak. One is Kevin Durant’s knee injury. Another is Harden, who has missed three straight games and five of the past seven with hamstring soreness — which first appeared after the Nets lost at home to the struggling Lakers, and Harden was on the court by himself because Durant was hurt and Irving won’t take the COVID vaccine.

8. The Nets were built with the idea that the Big 3 would carry them. Harden knew it. He’s seen Durant miss large amounts of time due to injury the past two seasons, and now, Irving won’t take the same shot Harden took to be eligible to play home games. Durant and Irving have what Harden, 32, does not: a title.

9. Harden has said publicly he was frustrated the Nets weren’t playing better. He saw how much the Nets need Irving on the court, all the time, and did the math on how nuts that would be to play home playoff games without Irving, even though Irving isn’t hurt.

10. “I’mma give him the shot,” Harden once joked of Irving. Now that seems like less of a joke.

11. The Nets were 13-3 when Durant, Harden, and Irving played in the same game, so this next argument is a little harder to make. But Harden’s ball-dominant, initiate-and-shoot style is not a great fit for Irving. Kyrie moved off of his point guard spot when the Nets traded for Harden last season. With Simmons, Irving can remain off the ball, but he knows the ball will come to him more often because Simmons won’t be pounding out the shot clock and looking for 3s.

12. Irving was ready for Harden to move on, too. When Irving heard Harden was in fact hoping to be traded, a well-placed source says he was eager to see it come to fruition.

13. Look, I am for player empowerment and for teams that go all-in to win now. We are seeing the dark side of both trends.

14. The Nets had a young core that included Jarrett Allen and Caris LeVert. They didn’t have to blow it up when Irving decided to sign in Brooklyn in the summer of 2019 and bring Durant with him, but their presence meant that, eventually, one or more of Brooklyn’s younger players would have to go. And then when Harden forced the Rockets to trade him, the Nets felt they had to go and get him, trading away Allen and LeVert, among others. This was the time to jump through a championship window, with both feet.

15. Today, LeVert and Allen both play for the Cleveland Cavaliers, who are 4 ½ games ahead of Brooklyn. The Nets mortgaged their future to acquire an enigma (Irving), a star whose body is breaking down (Durant), and a disgruntled star (Harden). To try and salvage the team after those moves, they’ve traded Harden for another disgruntled star in Simmons, who hasn’t played since last summer.

James Harden, Kyrie Irving Had Friction As Teammates This Season

When the Brooklyn Nets played at the Cleveland Cavaliers on January 17th, Kyrie Irving lit some sage in their locker room before the game. Irving does this on occasion and his history in Cleveland could have contributed to the ritual.

According to sources who were in the locker room at the time, Harden looked at Irving in a perplexed way.

“Definitely a weird vibe between them,” one source said. “You could tell Harden was annoyed, and Kyrie wasn’t feeling James.”

Harden also appeared to be annoyed by Irving's status as a part time player when asked by the media.

“I’mma give him the shot,” Harden once joked of Irving.

A well-placed source says Irving was similarly eager to see Harden traded.

KP’s durability issues tanked his market, so with the trade the Mavs are free from half of his remaining money a year early because Dinwiddie’s last year isn’t fully guaranteed.

They just paid Dorian & have to pay Brunson so they get to avoid the luxury tax while they figure out what to do next.

KP was actually pretty good when healthy, so Washington gets the best player in the deal.

So, even.
KP's the best player in the trade, no doubt. But he's also the most difficult building block financially by a considerable margin and he's the least likely to be on the floor for stretches of the year.

He's played 64% of his games in Dallas. The Mavericks win at a higher clip with just Luka on the floor than they do with both of them on the floor. He just by and large hasn't had a ton of impact on winning games in Dallas.

For the Mavs, the money is at absolute worst a plus. If they can rely on even on of these two guys being healthy and in the lineup at any given time, that's a plus.

Anybody looking at this deal in a vacuum for the Mavs as anything less than a wash is goofy. The fact they didn't have to push in draft capital to move off him is a win in-and-of-itself.

I asked the other day if this Dallas team was forreal, and dudes told me they could be but it was contingent on Porzingleberry being healthy.

How bow now?

Seth Curry was good on the Mavs and Sixers and got traded both times. Very strange
He should've scored more vs Phoenix the other day. 3 pts ain't it. Should've caught embiid speedball pass too. Should've had more grandkids. Should've had redder hair. Should've had freckles. Should've look like Blake.

I asked the other day if this Dallas team was forreal, and dudes told me they could be but it was contingent on Porzingleberry being healthy.

How bow now?
No.

I mean, the answer was still “no” with KP there given his injury history. Now if he was healthy, then I’d upgrade it to a “Maybe” considering Kidd was getting him involved in the offense more instead of just shooting deep 3s.

But Dinwiddie and Bertans aren’t making up for THJ being injured. It’ll be another 7 game first round series with Luka almost dying from exhaustion.

Also both of them play no defense. Not sure how that’s gonna fly with Kidd.

Interested as hell how do his plays out with the nets

They needed Ben and got curry.. Ben now can do what he does well surrounded by KD, curry and however much kyrie is there

But for multiple reasons I hope the shh fails
What does he do “well”? Never bought into his hype dom I’m genuinely curious? Does he really think the fans in jersey/New York gonna be kinder? I mean Nash might but this trade is sus. I feel as tho philly got better and will go further in the playoffs now than the nets. Is Bulls can’t fade philly at all anymore.

How bow now?
The question depends on how you define for real.

They aren't and weren't beating Phoenix or Golden State in a playoff series. The ceiling was and probably still is a first round series win and getting bounced in Round 2.

Depends what they can get out of Dinwiddie and whether or not Bertans' shooting splits this year are the anomaly they appear to be. If they're into the playoffs with Bertans, Maxi, Tim back, Bullock, Brunson, DFS and Dinwiddie has some level of a revival? They've got a ton of shooting around Luka and now a couple of other on-ball creators in Spencer and Jalen.

This move was clearly more about the long-term outlook of their cap positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom