The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I'm getting a bit annoyed by my strap - most of what I do is landscap so it just gets in the way on a tripod but I'm hesitant to remove it because sometimes it's useful to carry it around my neck. Anyone got any good ideas? I've been looking at quick release straps but they don't look too sturdy. Is there a good option that is easily removable but doesn't take up the tripod mount?

What tripod head are you using? I know peak design has a tripod mount that can also be used as mount for your strap

Much respect to the iphone 7plus's cam, it's legit. I'm not one to want DSLR quality pics on my phone but man it looks good. Expect an increase in iphone photographers

Much respect to the iphone 7plus's cam, it's legit. I'm not one to want DSLR quality pics on my phone but man it looks good. Expect an increase in iphone photographers
iPhone 7 plus + Sony a5100 combo about to be undeniable. :evil:

Granted this iphone 7 thing is an app and more of a technology thing rather than a camera thing. If it is using the two cameras to take a photo, best believe the subject matter has to be super still. I do see an increased growth in iPhone photographers but you would still need a solid camera to take some shots of things moving with bokeh.

I'm sure most of the guys in here will agree that photography isn't quick like taking pictures with your phone and as camera phones become more camera oriented people will wonder why what they are seeing isn't what they are capturing. They'll blame the camera, call and complain to Apple, or be proud of their blurry photos.

That computer generated bokeh in the demo looked really bad IMO

Just gonna make our real bokeh look even better :D

But you know consumers, it's close enough. For us with little to no clout we got a lil bit of a bigger hill

But you know consumers, it's close enough. For us with little to no clout we got a lil bit of a bigger hill

You'd be surprised.

I've actually had people ask me -- "You have lenses that make blurry backgrounds, right? You dont add fake blur in photoshop?"

:lol:

Back when I was doing WDYWT photos, I didn't mind people faking bokeh since digital cameras were at its infancy. Now it just seems a little odd to do since cameras have gotten so much cheaper. But for the Instagramers that don't care, I think this is a great tool and could get people to shoot better photos and buy a DSLR.

Granted this iphone 7 thing is an app and more of a technology thing rather than a camera thing. If it is using the two cameras to take a photo, best believe the subject matter has to be super still. I do see an increased growth in iPhone photographers but you would still need a solid camera to take some shots of things moving with bokeh.

my understanding is that the 'portrait mode' just uses the longer of the 2 lenses & some computational magic to differentiate the subject from the background/blur the background...i think the only time it uses both cameras is for some of the zoom range? is iphone photography still a thing given the connectivity of this generation of cameras? in any case i doubt if the better camera results in an increase in iphone photographers, insofar as there are people for whom this new iphone will be their only camera and aren't interested in using a dedicated camera at this point, but it likely will allow more iphone photographers, such as they are, to get more keepers in situations where maybe older iphones might have faltered...

surprising the dual camera/computational bokeh magic isn't front facing, for improving selfies/snapchatting? i would think that would make that phone a no brainer for females on social media

Depends what you shoot but the Sony RX100 line is always recommended with the mark III and IV having a pop up EVF and the IV with 4K video. Another compact alternative is copping a Ricoh GR which houses an APS-C sensor and 28mm lens.

Thanks man, my brother recommended the same one actually.

what do you guys think about this photo? btw not mine. something i found on google

my understanding is that the 'portrait mode' just uses the longer of the 2 lenses & some computational magic to differentiate the subject from the background/blur the background...

i stand corrected the 7 plus does use both cameras...

what do you guys think about this photo? btw not mine. something i found on google

Looks like a photo that the family of the kid will love forever.

Having no connection with the kid makes me think the photo is pretty bleh. Also too high of contrast for my liking. Both those statements are completely subjective and just my opinion.

Having no connection with the kid makes me think the photo is pretty bleh. Also too high of contrast for my liking. Both those statements are completely subjective and just my opinion.

I ask because its taken with a 24mm. Thought it would be more distorted

I ask because its taken with a 24mm. Thought it would be more distorted

Could be cropped

But you can also correct distortion in post

Copped a 5d mark III brand new today.

Will be my first brand new pro camera :smile:

We've come a long way bruhs.

I cant thank NT enough for the support

Back
Top Bottom