The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Finally picked up a Canon 50mm 1.4. can't wait to use this!

Fong - Ocean Beach/Cliff House area to be exact, but it was freezing that night. I think personally, a F/2.8 zoom lens would suit you perfect. You already have the fisheye for the suepr wide shots and 50mm I believe for low light. Can't go wrong.
yanky - Yes, you're correct. That photograph specially was shot with a Tamron 17-35mm F/2.8-4.0. My everyday lens.
executive76 - What did you wanna learn about it?

From this weekend (Photo dump)

More on my blog;
www.dunksrnice.net

Question for you guys. Canon just announced a huge instant rebate for the Canon Mark 2 which is selling for $1800 for the body. Since the Mark 3 is really out of my price range, I was wondering if you guys think it is smart to get the Mark 2 or get the new "cheaper" full frames like the Canon 6D or the Nikon D600? I know video wise, the Mark 2 is not at it's greatest no more but seeing how the 6D is the same pixels as the Mark 2, I wonder if that is a better camera.

Any thoughts? What would you guys do?

Personally, i'd get the mark ii > 6d. The 6d only has 11 af points and 1 cross type. The rest is bells and whistles. Not much of an improvement on what the 5d mark ii was lacking anyway.

How much would it be with the rebate?

It's $1800 for the body. Rebate only last till end of October. I think I am going to the jump the gun soon unless someone tells me other wise. I think this is one hell of a deal considering the 7D was somewhat at that price range when it first came out. I just can't believe I might have to get Canon lenses again. Going to start out with the Nifty-Fifty again.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583953-REG/Canon_2764B003_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html

I am just ready to make the jump from crop frame to full frame. I have a Nikon D90 and it's done me well but I want to get in on all this full frame action and hi iso that the Mark 2 provides. The switch to Canon only has to do with the price of the Mark 2. I actually love Nikon a lot and waited for the D600 to come out to see if it was any good but with its price, I can get the Mark 2 for cheaper. Luckily I didn't invest in a lot of Nikon lenses where I am kicking myself in the teeth for it.

And so far from what I reading up on, the only real advantage of a Mark 3 is the focus system and tad better ISO. I just don't think that is a big deal for how I shoot I guess. Might be time for an upgrade by tomorrow.

I am just ready to make the jump from crop frame to full frame. I have a Nikon D90 and it's done me well but I want to get in on all this full frame action and hi iso that the Mark 2 provides. The switch to Canon only has to do with the price of the Mark 2. I actually love Nikon a lot and waited for the D600 to come out to see if it was any good but with its price, I can get the Mark 2 for cheaper. Luckily I didn't invest in a lot of Nikon lenses where I am kicking myself in the teeth for it.
And so far from what I reading up on, the only real advantage of a Mark 3 is the focus system and tad better ISO. I just don't think that is a big deal for how I shoot I guess. Might be time for an upgrade by tomorrow.

friend and I just had that discussion. 5d mkii at 1800 is a steal. i dont see the 6d as worth it for the extra hundred, especially since stuff like gps and all that isn't really necessary.

very tempting to go full frame.

Fong since I know you shoot with Nikon, but personally for me, whatever brand that I have along with lens I stick to that. If had to pick, Id get a used d700 since you want a full frame camera) and whatever else money have extra save or get fast lens. As for canon, Id get a the 5D MKII, camera is good. 

^^^I stayed up till almost 1am trying to figure this out. I still love NIkon and might go back maybe in the future. Price was just the factor really, so I jumped the gun (already).

b7fef5b40ccc11e2899a12313804ce11_7.jpg

I don't even know how to change the aperture on this damn thing. Haha!

^^^I stayed up till almost 1am trying to figure this out. I still love NIkon and might go back maybe in the future. Price was just the factor really, so I jumped the gun (already).
b7fef5b40ccc11e2899a12313804ce11_7.jpg

I don't even know how to change the aperture on this damn thing. Haha!

Welcome back!
-sf77

Fong did you go through the CLP? If you don't mind me askig, what'd it come out to?

I sold my 50 1.8 today and after seeing the prices my kits going for on amazon I listed that as well (60d w/18-200). I want to upgrade to either the 5d II or maybe 6d around my bday/holiday time.

Fong did you go through the CLP? If you don't mind me askig, what'd it come out to?
I sold my 50 1.8 today and after seeing the prices my kits going for on amazon I listed that as well (60d w/18-200). I want to upgrade to either the 5d II or maybe 6d around my bday/holiday time.

Not sure what CLP means. I bought it from Best Buy. I actually just finished paying off a laptop on a Best Buy credit card and had enough credit to get the Mark 2 body and a 50mm 1.8. It all came out to about $2067 after tax. The credit card has a 18 month no APR, so when I break it down, I pay a little over a $100 a month.

And after shooting with the camera mildly for a day, the Mark 2 is really different from a Nikon. I still stand by it and say Nikon has the best interface out there from just the white balance adjustments to even the in house editing in the camera. Also I find Nikon colors to be a little more bold the the Mark 2 that I have. The only thing I can think of is cause I am shooting with a budget lens right now and that is why my pics are only so so. I am looking to get the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L out of all the lenses that Canon has to offer. I was thinking getting the 35mm L-lens but that zoom provides that and more. Anyone have other recommendations on lenses with a full frame? Looking for a wide lens just for general use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom