The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Lightroom is more for global editing and Photoshop is more local. Photoshop will give you all of the bells and whistles that you may need down the road. Lightroom itself is pretty powerful if you know how to use it. Just do some research on how to unlock its potential. I would also suggest to just go to Adobe's site and download the 30-day free trial and mess with it. It's the full version, and after 30 days they will lock it up. But for $150 ($75 or so for students) I think it is a hell of a no brainer. As far as storing pictures, Lightroom in itself can catalog everything for you. Just yesterday I was thinking about organization. I did a shoot of a friend's family, and thought that instead of saving all of my pictures in one main catalog I should save gigs as its own separate catalog for organizational purposes. Good luck with everything.
Your input is appreciated.

Great justification there. Just build out a laptop with the exact same specs as a Macbook, which will cost you way less than the Apple version, and you'll be fine. OSX vs Windows should have zero effect on your ability to use programs like Photoshop that run on both operating systems.

Very true. The only reason to get a Mac is to learn it so if you shoot in the industry, you'll know how to edit with it (which is practically the same). The only reason why people even say get a Mac even in graphic design is cause it is an industry standard and you don't want to get a job and not know how to use their OS.

so it wouldn't matter if it's an MBA or MBP just as long as it's running the OS?

also would a MBA be powerful enough for Premiere, Photoshop and whatnot?

so it wouldn't matter if it's an MBA or MBP just as long as it's running the OS?

The MBA models are impressive with how you can build them online, but given the lack of external ports and internal space, you're limited with HD space unless you have an external. I'd recommend an MBP if this is what you're using to decide on the purchase. 

I mean if you know how to run a Mac OP system, then you can get a PC no problem. I know PC and Macs are more compaitble then they used to but that was more so the issue back in the days then now. The only real issue you'll go through with editing photos is if you are doing mulitiple photos and all are like 20MP or higher. I use a 2010 iMac and it runs fine untill I have about 10 or more photos open. Then if I do say a panoramic, my computer really slows down and PS does tend to crash at times. Thank god they have a recovery system though where it will auto save your photos after you reopen PS again. I guess that is more of a RAM issue? Sorry, believe it or not I am kind of bad with computers when it comes to the hardware.

Sounds like a ram issue. I use a retina MBP with 16 gb of ram, thing is a joy to edit on. I use aperture primarily, occasionally dive into PS too. I tried Lightroom but prefer aperture

Sounds like a ram issue. I use a retina MBP with 16 gb of ram, thing is a joy to edit on. I use aperture primarily, occasionally dive into PS too. I tried Lightroom but prefer aperture

16! Damn. I think I only have 4GB of ram. I need to upgarde on that.

Just ordered my nifty fifty from bestbuy for like $103 shipped

What other equipment would you recommend purchasing for somebody primarily trying to do video with the T3i? Starting budget for equipment , looking to stay under $1k.

What other equipment would you recommend purchasing for somebody primarily trying to do video with the T3i? Starting budget for equipment , looking to stay under $1k.

My shoots DLSRs for a living. Don't know specifics but from what I see, get a external mic and a light on your hot shoe if you shoot indoors with no light. External mic is more of a must since the mic on the camera is only so good.

My shoots DLSRs for a living. Don't know specifics but from what I see, get a external mic and a light on your hot shoe if you shoot indoors with no light. External mic is more of a must since the mic on the camera is only so good.

if you can get a little more of the specifics that would be dope.

I've been rocking out with my 50mm for almost a year.. right now i'm looking at shotgun mics. It just depends on what kind of video you intend on using it for. I first got my camera for music videos but now I'm transitioning into interviews and hopefully recording live shows,

as far as shotgun mics this is the apparently the best bang for your buck (Amazon product ASIN B004K8WPUQ). I say if you're just starting to take it slow on the equipment and just kind of mess around with the camera

We in the same city though so just hmu

i see a lot of the guys in here have their own sites.. I was wondering if someone could school me real quick on that process because i'm interested in starting a blog for some of the new content I have coming up.

i see a lot of the guys in here have their own sites.. I was wondering if someone could school me real quick on that process because i'm interested in starting a blog for some of the new content I have coming up.

I'm actually in the process of building my website. I think the first thing you have to figure out is what is the purpose of your site. My goal is to be a portrait photographer and make money from prints. I was being steered in the direction of bludomain.com but after some research I realized that it just was not for me. I'm not up to date on coding sites, but my background in it is more than enough to do things myself. I went ahead and found the cheapest unlimited hosting I could find and that ran me about $35. I made sure Wordpress was supported. Found the Wordpress theme I liked, $45. There are plenty of free themes but I'd rather pay for exactly what I want. So right there that is $80. The site I would've purchased from BluDomain would have set me back $200, not including the hosting through them or purchasing elsewhere and still having to pay BluDomain to use that one. Seems like they try to get you coming and going. Functionality such as mobile or blog capabilities are add-ons you have to purchase through them. After buying my theme and hosting, I found free plugins for booking sessions, selling prints, and sending invoices. I'm sure I will be adding more plugins that I feel are needed in the future. So now I have a functional photography website that allows people to see my portfolio, setup a session, view proofs, purchase prints or downloads, follow my blog posts, contact me and follow my social media.

Back
Top Bottom