The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

50mm f/1.4 or 70-200mm f/4L :nerd:

I'm in a dilemma because I'm a sucker for Shallow DoF, but I shoot quite a bit of Motorsport/Automotive.

Great work as usual fellas.

P.S. Where the hell is Rap Sizzle these days?

50mm f/1.4 or 70-200mm f/4L :nerd:

I'm in a dilemma because I'm a sucker for Shallow DoF, but I shoot quite a bit of Motorsport/Automotive.

Great work as usual fellas.

P.S. Where the hell is Rap Sizzle these days?

Get both! Haha!

I was watching this Vice doc on this photographer and notices his camer and never heard of it (Phase One).

Did the research and HOLY! That thing better shoot portraits that he is shooting!

FEATURES:
IQ180 Digital Back:
•80 megapixel resolution for extreme detail level
•645 full-frame CCD
•20 megapixel Sensor+ resolution for higher light sensitivity and faster workflow
•Extreme 12.5 f-stops dynamic range
•1.15 megapixel resolution 3.2" display with vibrant colors
•Multi touch screen functionality to pan, browse and zoom up to 400
645DF Camera Body:
•Open platform for maximum choice and compatibility
•Durable, proven platform for secure operation
•Ergonomic handling and ease of use
•Use Phase One digital lenses, Mamiya AF/AFD lenses or Hasselblad V lenses
•Exposures from 1/4000s to 60 minutes
•Flash synchronization up to 1/1600 sec.

http://www.phaseone.com/
http://www.samys.com/p/Digital-SLRS...oduct-search&gclid=CNOpiuz3rrYCFREfzQodbWEABA ($48,000!!!)

Get both! Haha!

I was watching this Vice doc on this photographer and notices his camer and never heard of it (Phase One).

Did the research and HOLY! That thing better shoot portraits that he is shooting!

FEATURES:
IQ180 Digital Back:
•80 megapixel resolution for extreme detail level
•645 full-frame CCD
•20 megapixel Sensor+ resolution for higher light sensitivity and faster workflow
•Extreme 12.5 f-stops dynamic range
•1.15 megapixel resolution 3.2" display with vibrant colors
•Multi touch screen functionality to pan, browse and zoom up to 400
645DF Camera Body:
•Open platform for maximum choice and compatibility
•Durable, proven platform for secure operation
•Ergonomic handling and ease of use
•Use Phase One digital lenses, Mamiya AF/AFD lenses or Hasselblad V lenses
•Exposures from 1/4000s to 60 minutes
•Flash synchronization up to 1/1600 sec.

http://www.phaseone.com/
http://www.samys.com/p/Digital-SLRS...oduct-search&gclid=CNOpiuz3rrYCFREfzQodbWEABA ($48,000!!!)

They're basically the digital equivalent to a medium format camera. Some of the digital backs even work on hasselblad/Mamiya bodies that were originally for film backs.

When I worked a Milk Studios for a while in their digital department, I was able to "play around" with the different camera bodies and digital backs before being checked out for various shoots. They're pretty amazing.

Hey fellas,

Thanks for your help in this thread. 

I have another question: Do you guys recommend a specific program in a Mac to edit pictures? I know there is Photoshop and Aperture but since I am a rookie I was looking for something less pro. I guess I would use it for simple edits. 

Also, how do you store your pictures in your computer? 

Thanks

Hey fellas,

I have another question: Do you guys recommend a specific program in a Mac to edit pictures? I know there is Photoshop and Aperture but since I am a rookie I was looking for something less pro. I guess I would use it for simple edits. 

Thanks

I use Lightroom 4 to do most of my edits. I'm not expert in photoshop so I only use a few things on there. I'd recommend it and just start messing around with the lighting. It can help you make your photo's pop. I can't speak for Aperture cause I've never used it even though I own a mac but Lightroom seems to be fairly easy to use. As for storing photo's what exactly do you mean? What file the photo's are stored as?

Hey fellas,

Thanks
I use Lightroom 4 to do most of my edits. I'm not expert in photoshop so I only use a few things on there. I'd recommend it and just start messing around with the lighting. It can help you make your photo's pop. I can't speak for Aperture cause I've never used it even though I own a mac but Lightroom seems to be fairly easy to use. As for storing photo's what exactly do you mean? What file the photo's are stored as?

I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Lightroom is more for global editing and Photoshop is more local. Photoshop will give you all of the bells and whistles that you may need down the road. Lightroom itself is pretty powerful if you know how to use it. Just do some research on how to unlock its potential. I would also suggest to just go to Adobe's site and download the 30-day free trial and mess with it. It's the full version, and after 30 days they will lock it up. But for $150 ($75 or so for students) I think it is a hell of a no brainer. As far as storing pictures, Lightroom in itself can catalog everything for you. Just yesterday I was thinking about organization. I did a shoot of a friend's family, and thought that instead of saving all of my pictures in one main catalog I should save gigs as its own separate catalog for organizational purposes. Good luck with everything.

Family PC ain't really cutting it anymore..

What are some good laptops out there for photo and video editing (besides MacBooks)? Or better yet what are some features I should be looking for?

There is no better than Mac for photo editing, get yourself a Mac.
Great justification there. Just build out a laptop with the exact same specs as a Macbook, which will cost you way less than the Apple version, and you'll be fine. OSX vs Windows should have zero effect on your ability to use programs like Photoshop that run on both operating systems.

Great justification there. Just build out a laptop with the exact same specs as a Macbook, which will cost you way less than the Apple version, and you'll be fine. OSX vs Windows should have zero effect on your ability to use programs like Photoshop that run on both operating systems.

Very true. The only reason to get a Mac is to learn it so if you shoot in the industry, you'll know how to edit with it (which is practically the same). The only reason why people even say get a Mac even in graphic design is cause it is an industry standard and you don't want to get a job and not know how to use their OS.

Back
Top Bottom