The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^Was it the way it slinged your back? I really didn't like how it just sort of laid at an odd angle and didn't form to your body properly. I am even having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Incase backpack and even at 50% off. It just seems way too big and I'd never use it unless I went traveling.

There is that Lowpro that came out not too long ago that looked decent but is still to big for my taste:

http://fstoppers.com/the-lowepro-transit-backpack-is-a-triumph-of-simple-effective-design

I saw this on Poler's site. More fitting for me but looked like if you dropped your bag that you stuff could take a beating. Plus you have to buy the bag and the camera insert, which is $200 total. Also it has no real straps for tripods and there is no quick way to get your camera.

http://www.carryology.com/bags/road-test-poler-excursion-pack/

davinci... fongstarr and tokes99 pretty much explained it. I love my primes. I live in Baltimore for the time being and went to a meet and greet on Saturday in an old warehouse and was having some issues with using a speedlight but with my aperture opened up I was able to get some nice and moody portraits. Photography is all about the light and having the ability to open up the aperture wider than a zoom lens gives you a bit more creative control.

Old news, but anyone thinking of getting the 7D mark 2? I'm debating this VS a 5d mark 3, but its going to be very hard to pull the trigger on that price unless I can find a good deal.

Currently using Rebel XS with 17-55mm f2.8 ( :frown: at the body ha)

Specs for the 7dm2 http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/eos-7d-mark-ii-spec-list-surfaces-cr1/
"EOS 7D Mark II in March?
A spec list has shown up for an EOS 7D Mark II with a possible announcement in March of 2014.

According to the rumor, the sensor is not yet confirmed, though it does mention it won’t be the same as the EOS 70D. Also a mention of innovative video features, something we’ve talked about previously. There’s not much new here as far as specs go, but at least the camera is being talked about.

20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Auto-Focus system similar to the EOS 5D Mark III (61 points), possibly the same as 5D3
High frame rate, 10-12 fps
“high grade” weather sealing, like Canon’s professional DSLRs
Dual Digic V+ processor
Single card slot
WiFi & GPS
Innovative video features
Price around $2000
Very good ISO performance"

I have a feeling most ppl will say go full frame.

Old news, but anyone thinking of getting the 7D mark 2? I'm debating this VS a 5d mark 3, but its going to be very hard to pull the trigger on that price unless I can find a good deal.

Currently using Rebel XS with 17-55mm f2.8 ( :frown: at the body ha)

Specs for the 7dm2 http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/eos-7d-mark-ii-spec-list-surfaces-cr1/
"EOS 7D Mark II in March?
A spec list has shown up for an EOS 7D Mark II with a possible announcement in March of 2014.

According to the rumor, the sensor is not yet confirmed, though it does mention it won’t be the same as the EOS 70D. Also a mention of innovative video features, something we’ve talked about previously. There’s not much new here as far as specs go, but at least the camera is being talked about.

20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Auto-Focus system similar to the EOS 5D Mark III (61 points), possibly the same as 5D3
High frame rate, 10-12 fps
“high grade” weather sealing, like Canon’s professional DSLRs
Dual Digic V+ processor
Single card slot
WiFi & GPS
Innovative video features
Price around $2000
Very good ISO performance"

I have a feeling most ppl will say go full frame.

I want to see how good the ISO performance is first.

I picked up a D3200 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-200mm lens on Black Friday. I don't consider myself a serious photographer by any means, but I enjoy the control the DSLR gives over a P&S. I mostly shoot sneakers, my motorcycle, and landscapes I find while riding my motorcycle. Since I put my bike away for the winter, it's probably gonna be mostly sneakers until March lol.

From the little research I've done it seems like I should invest in the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. Can anyone comment on whether or not it'd be worth it for me to cop this glass? As a novice/casual shooter would I really be able to tell the difference shooting with the 35mm vs. the kit lens? The consensus on the internet seems to be that this lens is the most bang for your buck.

I picked up a D3200 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-200mm lens on Black Friday. I don't consider myself a serious photographer by any means, but I enjoy the control the DSLR gives over a P&S. I mostly shoot sneakers, my motorcycle, and landscapes I find while riding my motorcycle. Since I put my bike away for the winter, it's probably gonna be mostly sneakers until March lol.

From the little research I've done it seems like I should invest in the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. Can anyone comment on whether or not it'd be worth it for me to cop this glass? As a novice/casual shooter would I really be able to tell the difference shooting with the 35mm vs. the kit lens? The consensus on the internet seems to be that this lens is the most bang for your buck.

You will definitely notice the difference especially shooting sneakers. You will get more bokeh (blur) and sharper pictures. I actually use my 50mm more for shooting sneakers because it's not as wide of an angle as the 35mm so I can fill the frame with more sneaker and less background and blur that background more. I think the price is like $20 more for the 50mm and if you plan to get a full frame camera then the 50mm is the way to go in my opinion. The 35mm is a great investment but once you bump up to a full frame then the camera you shoot on will switch to crop format and lower your megapixel count etc. There's alot more info on dx vs fx lenses but I won't complicate it.

I am shooting with a D3200 that i pick up on June of this year and its a great DSLR for beginners. In saying that I would recommend you to stick with both kit lenses/camera and master that equipment first. FYI I'm a beginner. I will be picking up the 35mm  F/1.8 lens before the summer time in SoCal….. Check out my images that i taken with the kit lens 18-55mm

I am shooting with a D3200 that i pick up on June of this year and its a great DSLR for beginners. In saying that I would recommend you to stick with both kit lenses/camera and master that equipment first. FYI I'm a beginner. I will be picking up the 35mm  F/1.8 lens before the summer time in SoCal….. Check out my images that i taken with the kit lens 18-55mm

I understand what you're trying to say but if he is shooting indoors it becomes useless unless he is either shooting with flash or using a tripod at slow shutter speeds so he doesn't raise the ISO too high. Not sure about the D3200 but my D5100 doesn't see anything beyond ISO 800 because then the grain just looks wack. The bigger aperture will come in handy. That's just my opinion.

thank you for all the insight fellas
ordered the Nikon 35mm off of Amazon for my trip to NYC

How much? I live in Baltimore and I tend to order from Adorama because of their free shipping, pretty sure there's no tax, and I receive my package the next day.

The only thing I don't like about my 5D Mark 2 is the minimal amount of focus points.

repped and QFT... 9 AF points...
c'mon canon.. :stoneface:

I actually just sold my 5dMII body and soon plan to sell my 24mm 1.4 V. II lens as well (my favorite prime ever)..
since sony came out with cameras such as the a7r and rx1, i'm sure it will only be a matter of time until smaller full frames come out.
and, that's what i'm interested in. hopefully a nice 24mm 1.4 comes out too, one that is proportional in size.

Just make sure when shooting in sunlight to drop your ISO really low so you can open your aperture open. I had that 35mm on my Nikon D90 and never produced any bokeh shots cause I always had my ISO at 600 thus giving my photos something you can shoot with a P&S. I like shooting at night more so anyways but at least now I know I can give some character in my daylight photos as well.

Just make sure when shooting in sunlight to drop your ISO really low so you can open your aperture open. I had that 35mm on my Nikon D90 and never produced any bokeh shots cause I always had my ISO at 600 thus giving my photos something you can shoot with a P&S. I like shooting at night more so anyways but at least now I know I can give some character in my daylight photos as well.

And a neutral density filter. Kills some of the light so you can shoot at slower shutter speeds and open up your aperture. Works for shots where the background is darker and then hit the subject with flash to bring the exposure up. Cool look.

Thanks for all the insight guys.

I've read good things about the 50mm prime as well, so I guess I'll have to decide between the 35 and 50.

I have no intentions of moving up to full-frame so that is a non-issue for me. So other than that, what are the advantages of the 50 over the 35? I feel like the wider angle of the 35 will be better for me once I start shooting landscapes come springtime.

I'm not looking to drop too much money on photography gear so this will likely be one of the only lenses I'll invest in. So I guess it all boils down to: which is more versatile, the 35 or the 50?

Versatility is based on what you want to shoot. For landscape it will be better to get the 35mm because it is wider. The 50mm on a crop sensor will get you closer to 85mm and will be better for portraits. The 35mm will distort more when used for portraits the closer you get to the subject. I say go for the 35mm if you dont intend to go full frame.

Versatility is based on what you want to shoot. For landscape it will be better to get the 35mm because it is wider. The 50mm on a crop sensor will get you closer to 85mm and will be better for portraits. The 35mm will distort more when used for portraits the closer you get to the subject. I say go for the 35mm if you dont intend to go full frame.

Thanks again. Repped. The 35mm will be bought once I get my money right. Where do you guys suggest I make my purchase if I go the online route? I'm not sure of any stores in my area, but I'll shop around when the time comes.

I prefer adorama.com because of their free shipping and I haven't had to pay taxes. You're in NJ and will get it the next day.

^^^^Was it the way it slinged your back? I really didn't like how it just sort of laid at an odd angle and didn't form to your body properly. I am even having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Incase backpack and even at 50% off. It just seems way too big and I'd never use it unless I went traveling.

There is that Lowpro that came out not too long ago that looked decent but is still to big for my taste:

http://fstoppers.com/the-lowepro-transit-backpack-is-a-triumph-of-simple-effective-design

I saw this on Poler's site. More fitting for me but looked like if you dropped your bag that you stuff could take a beating. Plus you have to buy the bag and the camera insert, which is $200 total. Also it has no real straps for tripods and there is no quick way to get your camera.

http://www.carryology.com/bags/road-test-poler-excursion-pack/

Yeah man. It just felt weird on me. A little uncomfortable and very unnatural. I returned it and ended up scooping the Think Tank from my local camera shop. Haven't loaded it up yet, but when I tried it on, it felt good.

That Poler looks tight. But yeah, doesn't look durable at all. Thanks for the info.

Amazing thread. I was wondering what kind of lens i should get for my d3100. I'm a beginner at photography, but getting tired of the kit lens. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Back
Top Bottom