The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Dooo it!!

Mine should be coming in the mail real soon. Too bad I don't have a full frame camera.

You shooting full frame?

Nope. Just a t3i.
It'll have to be next paycheck :frown:
I really wanted it before Christmas. Hopefully next day shipping will be available by then.

Nice. Was it on ebay? I'm looking to scoop one up but I really want the MK3, the price is just out of my budget for now.

I really wanted the MK3 as well but I'm completely happy with the MK2. Picked it up from a user on the canon forum

Any NTers in Chicago? I just moved here about a month ago and I want to find some dope spots to take some winter pics in the city. Any advice is appreciated.

krs-one-1.jpg

KRS-ONE

How much would yall cop this for? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141136803843
[table][tr][td]
Canon 6d camera for sale. Comes with canon 70-200 l series lens, also comes with canon 430ex flash. Lens recently had all optical glass changed and focus motor, all done by canon. Camera and accessories are being sold as is. Camera includes factory 1 year warranty good till April 2014. No returns on any item sold in this auction.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][TR]
[TD]
Canon 6d camera for sale. Comes with canon 70-200 l series lens, also comes with canon 430ex flash. Lens recently had all optical glass changed and focus motor, all done by canon. Camera and accessories are being sold as is. Camera includes factory 1 year warranty good till April 2014. No returns on any item sold in this auction.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/table]

Pricing everything new on amazon it comes to about $3207. He says the lens was recently serviced. Doesn't really mention anything about the condition of the camera or flash and states that its sold as-is, but there is time for factory warranty on body. Before bidding ask him if he has some type of invoice when he bought the camera and also will the warranty card be included. If no don't bid. Also ask if anything else comes with it that isn't pictured (boxes, cables, manual, cd, etc). May or not not break the deal for you. Specifically ask if there is a body cap, lens cap and lens cover since they aren't shown with the camera and lens detached. Don't wont to bring you down or anything, but most people would still have those items in the pictures when listing. Chances are they camera may have been stolen while someone set it down, hence no caps, accessories, etc. since they would be in a camera bag or something.

Just some things I think about when buying electronics from ebay. All in all, if you get a response from him and everything checks out probably 2600-2700. If no boxes, manuals, etc I personally wouldn't bid, but probably about 2500 (no reason for not having that if camera is under a year old). If seller doesn't have the caps, or they just don't respond to your questions, I wouldn't bid. If you do just low-ball it and see what happens, but dont make highest bid anything over 2500.

Last edited:
cant remember the last time i posted something in this thread.. got really lazy bringing the dslr out of the house and around since i got that VSCO app :smh:

trying my best to get back on my camera

[table][tr][td]Canon 6d camera for sale. Comes with canon 70-200 l series lens, also comes with canon 430ex flash. Lens recently had all optical glass changed and focus motor, all done by canon. Camera and accessories are being sold as is. Camera includes factory 1 year warranty good till April 2014. No returns on any item sold in this auction.[/td][/tr][/table]

Pricing everything new on amazon it comes to about $3207. He says the lens was recently serviced. Doesn't really mention anything about the condition of the camera or flash and states that its sold as-is, but there is time for factory warranty on body. Before bidding ask him if he has some type of invoice when he bought the camera and also will the warranty card be included. If no don't bid. Also ask if anything else comes with it that isn't pictured (boxes, cables, manual, cd, etc). May or not not break the deal for you. Specifically ask if there is a body cap, lens cap and lens cover since they aren't shown with the camera and lens detached. Don't wont to bring you down or anything, but most people would still have those items in the pictures when listing. Chances are they camera may have been stolen while someone set it down, hence no caps, accessories, etc. since they would be in a camera bag or something.

Just some things I think about when buying electronics from ebay. All in all, if you get a response from him and everything checks out probably 2600-2700. If no boxes, manuals, etc I personally wouldn't bid, but probably about 2500 (no reason for not having that if camera is under a year old). If seller doesn't have the caps, or they just don't respond to your questions, I wouldn't bid. If you do just low-ball it and see what happens, but dont make highest bid anything over 2500.
Its actually a 'friend' of mine... Not someone I often talk to but more of an aquaintence and he posted the listing on FB... Turns out he put a reserve of $2500 on it.  I know hes used that lens a LOT shooting motocross and snocross over the last few years... Had it on his 1Dn.

I wish he was just selling the body... I don't really need that lens and the way the lens is it'd be hard to get a solid price on it if I were to cop the package and then deal the lens.

If the reserve isn't met by the end (which normal ebayers seeing the 0 feedback will probably stay away from) then I'll see if he just wants to sell the body itself... That seems to be in great shape but I'll get more info if it shakes out that way.

Yeah they're new for 1500 on amazon too. That's the best option. Throw in the Canon or a third party flash and your still under 2000.

I have the 35mm f/1.8G. I like it but portrait photography is my interest so I tend to use my 50mm & 85mm f/1.8G more. I would say its good as a more general lens because it is wider. Anything specific you want to know?
what is the benefit of a 35mm lens compared to say a kit lens?

why do people choose to use 35mm lenses?

what is a good lens price/brand for Nikon?

^^^^You are really asking the difference between prime and zoom. For starters, the 35mm 1.8G will be good at low light shots. I am a fan of none flash photography and using natural light and the open aperture helps with low light situations (as well as ISO). Also the 35mm will give you bokeh, which is focus/out of focus photos that look good with portraits. Also the 35mm focal length is just good for all around shooting from portraits to landscapes. It will help you become a better photographer as well in framing photos properly and not always relying on zoom.

Check out sample photos here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/afsnikkor35mm18/

^^^^You are really asking the difference between prime and zoom. For starters, the 35mm 1.8G will be good at low light shots. I am a fan of none flash photography and using natural light and the open aperture helps with low light situations (as well as ISO). Also the 35mm will give you bokeh, which is focus/out of focus photos that look good with portraits. Also the 35mm focal length is just good for all around shooting from portraits to landscapes. It will help you become a better photographer as well in framing photos properly and not always relying on zoom.

thank you sir! I always knew what "bokeh" was, but didn't know that was the word for it until recently. I will be on the look out for a decent 35mm lens. any suggestions?

to piggy back on this, prime lenses, generally tend to be sharper than comparable kit/zoom lenses due to their simple construction compared to a comparable kit/zoom lenses. the obvious downside is not being able to zoom in to take pictures, which forces one to move around more. the 35mm 1.8 will make for some good bokeh, but that has less to do with the fact that it is a prime lens than that it has a fast aperture (though most prime lenses usually have larger apertures), and in the right conditions if you know what you are doing you can get decent bokeh with any lens. some good advice i read for practice is to set the kit lens to a particular focal length to see how that changes how you take pictures; not quite the same as shooting with a prime lens but gives the idea...

Can someone recommend me a good travel bag?

I'm flying out West next month and I'm looking for a good bag to take with me.

I originally purchased the Incase Ari Marcopoulos bag, but after receiving it today, I realized it's not for me. It's uncomfortable and doesn't fit everything I want. Also, the dividers aren't customizable. What the hell!

I'm looking at the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 30. I'm traveling with a gripped D7100, Sigma 35, 50mm, fisheye, tripod, and laptop. I wanna go with either a sling or backpack.

Any suggestions?

This is the Sling-O-Matic 30

SlingOMatic-30-7.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom