The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Amazing thread. I was wondering what kind of lens i should get for my d3100. I'm a beginner at photography, but getting tired of the kit lens. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

The Nikon 35mm 1.8 that was being discussed in the past few pages would be the way to go. I myself have had if for a few years and definitely recommend it.

The Nikon 35mm 1.8 that was being discussed in the past few pages would be the way to go. I myself have had if for a few years and definitely recommend it.
Saw that a few pages back but wasn't sure if it was compatible with my camera. Thank you for the response. 

Figured this would be a good read for you guys

Photographer shot the snowy Lions vs. Eagles game without autofocus.

http://blogs.delawareonline.com/firststatefocus/2013/12/09/lions-and-eagles-and-snow-oh-my/

120813_EaglesLions_KRG1542.jpg

dope! i can't imagine how difficult that be, especially with those long lenses! i've recently began playing around with an old manual lens from one of my father's old film cameras...man it does give you a greater appreciation for how quickly and accurately modern cameras can focus!!

Saw that a few pages back but wasn't sure if it was compatible with my camera. Thank you for the response. 

If I understand correctly your camera will work with all of Nikon lenses but the D3100 doesn't have a focus motor inside the camera itself so you have to get AF-S lenses which have the focus motor inside the lens itself.

Is any one here in to videography??
If so I have a couple of begginers questions if y'all don't mind.

Took a couple shots at a nearby park yesterday..

This weekend, I'm shooting with a family that i've done photos for previously (wedding, family photos) but this time i'm shooting the kids, 2 small sons. Any ideas on how to keep the kids cool enough to get some good shots in? I'm thinking of doing more candids to show personality, and I have full creative control. Any ideas would be appreciated, i'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Hizzle...
Sup homie! Love the pics. Was just at the Graffiti Warehouse on Saturday for a Meet & Greet. Great place to shoot. Going to miss it when I move to Florida next week.

Davinci...
Enjoy the lens. I was comparing my 35mm and 50mm last night and my preference is the 50mm. I do portraits so that extra length is better for me. I decided to toss the kit lens on the camera to check out the 18mm and the difference between the lenses are so evident once you compare them.

Thanks, man. You really think they aren't centered well, though?

I was wondering that right after posting and I think I'm wrong. I think just all three being so close gave me the illusion that one of them was off, but after looking at them separately I did notice that they were centered and symmetrical.

My mistake.

Davinci...
Enjoy the lens. I was comparing my 35mm and 50mm last night and my preference is the 50mm. I do portraits so that extra length is better for me. I decided to toss the kit lens on the camera to check out the 18mm and the difference between the lenses are so evident once you compare them.

You mind posting IQ comparison pics between the kit lens and the 35/50mm? I didn't really find any with a quick search on my phone lol

You mind posting IQ comparison pics between the kit lens and the 35/50mm? I didn't really find any with a quick search on my phone lol

I got you on that tomorrow. Not feeling the greatest tonight. What is most noticeable is distortion. I took a picture of the wall in my office and you could see how bad the bend was on the kit lens at 18mm. The 50mm is a bit sharper because it's built for a full frame camera so the sweet spot covers more of the sensor. The 35mm is made for crop and when you put it on a full frame camera and shoot it as if it were a full frame lens you will get vignetting because it isn't made to expose on a sensor bigger than the cropped sensor it was made for.

I got you on that tomorrow. Not feeling the greatest tonight. What is most noticeable is distortion. I took a picture of the wall in my office and you could see how bad the bend was on the kit lens at 18mm. The 50mm is a bit sharper because it's built for a full frame camera so the sweet spot covers more of the sensor. The 35mm is made for crop and when you put it on a full frame camera and shoot it as if it were a full frame lens you will get vignetting because it isn't made to expose on a sensor bigger than the cropped sensor it was made for.
Thanks man, I'd really appreciate it. Found a ton of discussions on the topic, but not too many image examples. 

Hope you feel better though.

not too sure how i feel about this one...

Digging this... composition could've been better imo, but still a good shot. I like the blur.

I see you Chiva1908... I was in the city a couple days ago as well... was only able to get the shot of the two cops on horseback I posted earlier.

Any LA heads going to be at The Hundreds Santa Monica tomorrow? I saw something about a photo walk or something like that on Instagram.

Fall quarter just ended for me (ELAC anybody
nerd.gif
) and it sucks because I'm not going to be able to take anymore photo classes if I want to transfer out in time.

Da feelz breh...

Thanks man, I'd really appreciate it. Found a ton of discussions on the topic, but not too many image examples. 

Hope you feel better though.

I tried and failed on comparison pics haha. I tried to shoot a Jason Markk bottle from a specific distamce but my exposures were everywhere. I'll try again tomorrow. For the time being here is one I took tonight of the pup....

Back
Top Bottom