The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

In regards.. Do most couples hire both a photographer and a videographer? I thought the video side of it went out in the 90s.

Not even. If any, it's back with vengeance. Pretty decent money if you have all the equipment and computer stuff out of the way.

Any Videographers here? I am shooting a wedding on the 31st and the couple is looking. Please be about your business. A fellow NTer seems to not want the money.

I got buddies that does it. The day I shot my buddies wedding, another friend did the video. I don't know the technical aspects of shooting video but I will say have as many shots and angles as you can. Even have second angles with a different camera/lens on a tripod. It does wonders when you edit it all together. Think of it as a movie and how a scene has so many different cuts and angles. I think the more the merrier.

Also if you are shooting while walking, IS very helpful. Get a long lens and wide if you can. Tripods and monopods are handy as well and if you can get mics, that is a plus too.

Here are two videos of examples of what my friend does.

https://vimeo.com/phillip/videos
Yeah I don't do video because of the editing. I rather do photos. Video is definitely back. With the video capability of DSLRs the equipment is cheaper, allowing more entry into the field.

I lurk in this thread so hard. Love looking at everyone's photography
ohwell.gif

i'm looking for a bag/case to store and carry around my a6000 when it is not in use rather than shoving it in a cabinet.. or even a bag/case to safely lug it around when i'm not shooting.. i only want to really keep the camera in their with it's kit lens and battery, thats all. a backpack is out of the question because i already carry a backpack thats full of my baby's diapers and stuff.. any suggestions ?

i'm looking for a bag/case to store and carry around my a6000 when it is not in use rather than shoving it in a cabinet.. or even a bag/case to safely lug it around when i'm not shooting.. i only want to really keep the camera in their with it's kit lens and battery, thats all. a backpack is out of the question because i already carry a backpack thats full of my baby's diapers and stuff.. any suggestions ?

Maybe something like this?

Amazon product ASIN B0077B2XI2

Or a fanny pack :nerd: :lol:

Last edited:
Need help understanding F stops. I cant seem to understand why lower F stop lens are more expensive and why majority of good lens are all at F4.

Im sorry for the rookie question, I honestly dont get it.

Also need help choosing between these two lens

Canon 16-35 F4L

and

Canon 16-35 F2.8L

Why is the second one $500 more?

Need help understanding F stops. I cant seem to understand why lower F stop lens are more expensive and why majority of good lens are all at F4.

Im sorry for the rookie question, I honestly dont get it.

Also need help choosing between these two lens

Canon 16-35 F4L

and

Canon 16-35 F2.8L

Why is the second one $500 more?

The lower the f-stop number, the more light the lens lets into the camera. Photography is writing with light. Bigger f-stops allow you to shoot faster shutter speeds to prevent camera shake, stop motion and other things stylistically like depth of field and cutting down on ambient light exposure. That is why the 2.8 is more expensive than the 4. Canon seems to offer a good amount of their L lenses in both 2.8 and 4 f-stops, but the second one is the better of the two, hence the price difference.

The lower the f-stop number, the more light the lens lets into the camera. Photography is writing with light. Bigger f-stops allow you to shoot faster shutter speeds to prevent camera shake, stop motion and other things stylistically like depth of field and cutting down on ambient light exposure. That is why the 2.8 is more expensive than the 4. Canon seems to offer a good amount of their L lenses in both 2.8 and 4 f-stops, but the second one is the better of the two, hence the price difference.

Yup...pretty much this. The lower f-stop is just a more versatile lens in shooting in different light settings. I literally never even bother looking at lenses with f-stops at 3.5 and higher. I mean you can definitely use them for say shooting landscapes and what not but I like the option of shooting more than just that. I am even not into zooms and only have primes, but I do think my next purchase will be the new ultrawide lens that Canon will put out.

I always found this chart informative when I first started shooting. Made me really understand how a lens works and even looks when it fires.

Yup...pretty much this. The lower f-stop is just a more versatile lens in shooting in different light settings. I literally never even bother looking at lenses with f-stops at 3.5 and higher. I mean you can definitely use them for say shooting landscapes and what not but I like the option of shooting more than just that. I am even not into zooms and only have primes, but I do think my next purchase will be the new ultrawide lens that Canon will put out.

All of my lens purchases have been primes. Last night I was thinking about the jump from crop sensor to full frame and what that will mean to how I shoot with the primes I have. I want to do alot of swimwear shoots, and it was a pain using a prime and getting low in the sand because when you find out you're too close or too far it's a process to move and protect your gear.

All of my lens purchases have been primes. Last night I was thinking about the jump from crop sensor to full frame and what that will mean to how I shoot with the primes I have. I want to do alot of swimwear shoots, and it was a pain using a prime and getting low in the sand because when you find out you're too close or too far it's a process to move and protect your gear.

I hear you. As much as I love primes, they are a total hassle to always swap around and carry. It's a love hate but luckily more love than hate. I just find zooms to not be as sharp as I'd like it to be but honestly, I have only used the 24-70mm and that was a f/2.8 but that is it. I definitely need to try the 16-35mm some day. I can't believe I have never shot with that lens yet.

I hear you. As much as I love primes, they are a total hassle to always swap around and carry. It's a love hate but luckily more love than hate. I just find zooms to not be as sharp as I'd like it to be but honestly, I have only used the 24-70mm and that was a f/2.8 but that is it. I definitely need to try the 16-35mm some day. I can't believe I have never shot with that lens yet.

I need a 70-200. It's better for my portraits. I have a hard time shooting wide as is too. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom