The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Nice images, but this one is my favorite ... how much PP are you doing to these? Those colors are gorgeous!

not enough! i still haven't really figured out how to use both lightroom & ps for editing so i end up just using one or the other...this was done in lightroom by primarily adjusting white balance/clarity/vibrance/saturation the og file was fairly neutral:

Since this is the photography thread, are moving pictures ok? hahaha 

Last edited:
not enough! i still haven't really figured out how to use both lightroom & ps for editing so i end up just using one of the other...

What are you having difficulty with? I import my photos in and set the exposure and camera profile, then I go to Photo>Edit In> Edit in Photoshop. Do my edits then you go to File>Save and it will send that copy to Lightroom as an filename-edit.extension... Then I apply my preset and tweak. Export.

Basketball was always my first love so I figured it was only right to snap a couple in the gym. Lighting was pretty bad in there and I wish I got the ball in the last shot.

My homie son wouldn't look at the camera for nothing lol. CC welcome. Cropped and edited on vsco cam. I'll put it thru my light room treatment and post the difference later.

Last edited:
not enough! i still haven't really figured out how to use both lightroom & ps for editing so i end up just using one of the other...this was done in lightroom by primarily adjusting white balance/clarity/vibrance/saturation the og file was fairly neutral:
That's why people getb frustrated and think they work is not good. LMAO .... Summer people don't realize that singer images are not straight grin the camera. Initial image had to be nice but the PP can set a picture apart like you just did, then people try to replicate and get disappointed. Nice work I like ur rendition.

What are you having difficulty with? I import my photos in and set the exposure and camera profile, then I go to Photo>Edit In> Edit in Photoshop. Do my edits then you go to File>Save and it will send that copy to Lightroom as an filename-edit.extension... Then I apply my preset and tweak. Export.
you have some sample of your work ... Never thought about doing this ... LR is much more n00b friendly. PS is more detail and advanced.

not enough! i still haven't really figured out how to use both lightroom & ps for editing so i end up just using one of the other...

i like that the edits in light room are non-destructible and if you edit in ps (even though you can make non-destructible edit there too) you have to go back & fourth between the 2 programs...plus there aren't many that that can't be done in lr (albeit not as well or powerful)

So I have been offer to trade my 70D for a 6D with $450 cash. Thoughts?
Depends...do you need full frame? does video matter to you? does the flip out screen matter to you? in terms of image quality, practically the same when it comes to pictures
I'm shooting weddings and family. No video needed. Full frame gives me more range when it comes to my lenses. I like what the 6d does to the 50mm 1.8 which I love.

I'm shooting weddings and family. No video needed. Full frame gives me more range when it comes to my lenses. I like what the 6d does to the 50mm 1.8 which I love.
If you're shooting weddings, you'll need that flexibility to reach out and get close up shots without having to get super close. I would personally stick with the 70D and get a decent Sigma zoom lens with the $450. But i get what you mean about what the 6D does to your 50...it's niceee haha

but for me, I would always invest in glass first before upgrading my body. Canon is already behind in terms of camera technology compared to price, so I wouldn't suggest upgrading your body until Canon finally gets their stuff together.

If you're shooting weddings, you'll need that flexibility to reach out and get close up shots without having to get super close. I would personally stick with the 70D and get a decent Sigma zoom lens with the $450. But i get what you mean about what the 6D does to your 50...it's niceee haha

but for me, I would always invest in glass first before upgrading my body. Canon is already behind in terms of camera technology compared to price, so I wouldn't suggest upgrading your body until Canon finally gets their stuff together.
Great suggestion. Looking at lenses now.

That's why people getb frustrated and think they work is not good. LMAO .... Summer people don't realize that singer images are not straight grin the camera. Initial image had to be nice but the PP can set a picture apart like you just did, then people try to replicate and get disappointed. Nice work I like ur rendition.
you have some sample of your work ... Never thought about doing this ... LR is much more n00b friendly. PS is more detail and advanced.

I'm definitely a n00b haha. Had a shoot this morning and I'm still messing up with cropping off some fingers and elbows etc. Posing is also a very weak point for me. I need to learn to really dodge and burn tho.

i like that the edits in light room are non-destructible and if you edit in ps (even though you can make non-destructible edit there too) you have to go back & fourth between the 2 programs...plus there aren't many that that can't be done in lr (albeit not as well or powerful)

You should also be able to save the PSDs to go back to them later, but I don't know how well that works with sending it back to LR later. As long as you have that LR catalogue open and the PSD still open, never closed at all, then it's just a matter of going back to PS to edit and then hitting save to update it in LR but then you would have to apply your LR edits again. It's not bad considering you can copy and paste those edits.

I feel like I should've used Flickr for the pics I just posted. SMH.

900x900px-LL-6f2bf4e2_DSC_9942-Edit.jpeg

Nice! Just wanted to post your pic in full res.

I didn't really comment on that last conversation but I didn't feel the criticism was that harsh or was meant in ill will. Man, if you guys were around when Chandler was posting on these threads, he'd pretty much crap on everyone but that is cause his standards are so high. In retrospect, I actually miss his suggestions and feel like what he was saying was just a harsh reality of some of peoples photos. But there is a lot more to shooting portraits then just with the camera. Post processing, styling, posing, shooting in scenic areas and more all all things that come into play. No different than say shooting landscapes. You find that it takes more than just a camera whether it be ND filters, graduated filters, etc.

I think overall, shooting is meant to be fun and something that is just interesting. Whenever I see people post portraits now, it always peaks my interest more so than ever on just how things are done. I wish I could do more of it but given the circumstances on not having people to shoot, I feel like I never get to. I am shooting my sister's engagement photos soon so hopefully that will help the craving. I plan on doing some off flash finally if the weather is up to it.

DSC_9942-Edit.jpg

Look at the difference haha. Niketalk compression haha. It's all good. Fong I'm lookiing forward to seeing you do portraiture. Sign up for modelmayhem.com and you will find plenty of models in San Fran that will do tfp with you. San Fran has so much style. The model in these pics actually found me on Model Mayhem. You will be surprised at what you will find, good and bad haha.

^^^Definitely looks better.

Not to sound like a punk but my girl wouldn't even be cool even if it was for practice to shoot models on the side. Sort how I guess Steezy was saying a couple of pages back. How does the whole process work though? Like you have a profile on that site and models will just check your work and ask if they can shoot for free? Or do they pay you? Man...if they pay me, maybe my girl wouldn't mind as much. Haha.

I'm definitely a n00b haha. Had a shoot this morning and I'm still messing up with cropping off some fingers and elbows etc. Posing is also a very weak point for me. I need to learn to really dodge and burn tho.

Awesome pics! I honestly don't see any problems with your images. The best form of touching up is just getting rid of major blemishes and correcting tones. Dodging and burning can really take an image to another level if done correctly. I use a 50% gray layer with a soft light blending mode and use white, black and sometimes a little color to get the look I want. I keep my opacity set to 80% and my flow low at around 2% or so. There are tons of tutorials out there, and if you create an action on PS it will cut a lot of time down preping touch ups.

Not to sound like a punk but my girl wouldn't even be cool even if it was for practice to shoot models on the side. Sort how I guess Steezy was saying a couple of pages back. How does the whole process work though? Like you have a profile on that site and models will just check your work and ask if they can shoot for free? Or do they pay you? Man...if they pay me, maybe my girl wouldn't mind as much. Haha.

I have a model mayhem account and frequently get hit up on that site for tfp (trade for print) shoots. I only work for free when it benefits my portfolio or I just want to experiment with a concept or new equipment. Most models I work with pay though. I recently had to do a boudoir shoot and it was for the chick's husband. My wife insisted on being present :rofl: . As long as you keep it professional, you should be straight,

Last edited:

My girlfriend doesn't mind, but my goal is to have her become my makeup artist. You can shoot males too if you want. It's not only women. You'll find any type of genre to shoot, it doesn't have to be swimwear or lingerie haha. You could try shooting your girl too... With a camera tho, I have to make sure we are on the same page haha.

Awesome pics! I honestly don't see any problems with your images. The best form of touching up is just getting rid of major blemishes and correcting tones. Dodging and burning can really take an image to another level if done correctly. I use a 50% gray layer with a soft light blending mode and use white, black and sometimes a little color to get the look I want. I keep my opacity set to 80% and my flow low at around 2% or so. There are tons of tutorials out there, and if you create an action on PS it will cut a lot of time down preping touch ups.
I have a model mayhem account and frequently get hit up on that site for tfp (trade for print) shoots. I only work for free when it benefits my portfolio or I just want to experiment with a concept or new equipment. Most models I work with pay though. I recently had to do a boudoir shoot and it was for the chick's husband. My wife insisted on being present :rofl: . As long as you keep it professional, you should be straight,

Thanks. My prob with dodging and burning is not overdoing it and touching up the right spots. Once I get better with that I will be fine. I make sure to practice as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom