The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Really nice!

Thanks. We gotta link up some time I'm off of Collins.
Definitely man. I'm over by Krispy Keene on 163rd. Haven't been in a while but do you know if they added a pier on the beach that's at 163rd? I've seen pics but not sure exactly where it's at.

I'm not sure I'm by 22nd. Only pier I know about is at South Pointe Park by 1st. I shot in the park this morning. I wanted to get on the pier but it was gated.

Just curious, do models tend to hit you up? Or you them? Or is it kind of both?

Was this directed to me? If so it is both. Granted, my success rate it pretty low, but I attribute that to being a beginner with not much work to show. Also, alot of models are flakes.

So posting on here with Flickr on here makes the photo look better? How exactly do you do that? I was wondering why my photos didn't look as good posting here than when I'm editing them in LR

So posting on here with Flickr on here makes the photo look better? How exactly do you do that? I was wondering why my photos didn't look as good posting here than when I'm editing them in LR

If you allow NT to import the file and pic the dimensions it will compress the quality. I linked the retry from my website.

@Mr Fongstarr

I was trying to be helpful ... I actually was holding back. I generally don't comment much on anyone's picture because I know people are going to take it the wrong way.

My advice is ... If you aren't shooting anything of interest, don't shot it. If you are shooting a model you dictate how it goes not the other way around regardless if they are paying. It's your rep. Remember that everything you press the shutter is one less image you are able to take so make it count.

When I was new at this I would take any and every advice I could. I even have asked steezy for advice in event/wedding shooting ... Although I'm fairly decent at fashion and I'm published I have never felt comfortable shooting events and weddings .. Eventually I would venture but who knows ... Just take advice giving like suggestion, apply what u think you need and keep it moving on the rest.

khankussionz khankussionz If you're interested the Sony store in aventura has a Beyond Basics class for free tomorrow morning. It's from 8:30 to 10. I'm gonna check it out. Walk ins are welcomed but they recommend you calling in and registering just in case it's full.

If you allow NT to import the file and pic the dimensions it will compress the quality. I linked the retry from my website.

I normally just get the url link from the pic the add the img code before and after the link with the brackets.

Really nice!

Thanks. We gotta link up some time I'm off of Collins.
Definitely man. I'm over by Krispy Keene on 163rd. Haven't been in a while but do you know if they added a pier on the beach that's at 163rd? I've seen pics but not sure exactly where it's at.

I'm not sure I'm by 22nd. Only pier I know about is at South Pointe Park by 1st. I shot in the park this morning. I wanted to get on the pier but it was gated.

Just curious, do models tend to hit you up? Or you them? Or is it kind of both?

Was this directed to me? If so it is both. Granted, my success rate it pretty low, but I attribute that to being a beginner with not much work to show. Also, alot of models are flakes.

Open question really.

Being a beginner, do you direct the models yourself? Or do models have a certain look or set of photos they want done?

DSC_9942-Edit.jpg

You can tell you were battling the sun during this shoot which is a tough battle. The shots look good but they would have looked better at a different time of day when the sun wasn't so harsh. Or you should have waited for a cloud to get in front of the sun. It looks like you had some sort of light source out there. You should have waited for some shade and hit here with an off camera flash. When you get into shoots like this lighting is key.

I feel like any criticism is good criticism, whether you take it in a harsh way or not, you still learn from it.

khankussionz khankussionz If you're interested the Sony store in aventura has a Beyond Basics class for free tomorrow morning. It's from 8:30 to 10. I'm gonna check it out. Walk ins are welcomed but they recommend you calling in and registering just in case it's full.

My gf's folks are coming into town tomorrow so I will be running errands. Good looks tho.

Open question really.

Being a beginner, do you direct the models yourself? Or do models have a certain look or set of photos they want done?
That's a hard question ....

Models are people - most of them if given to much direction, they start shutting down and the shoot is a waste of times. Sometimes others take your directions and run with it ....

I try to keep **** smooth ... I don't like what she is doing and voice my opinion - something along the lines of good, but how about if we try this and this ... kind of guiding them to what I want.  But it really depends on the models .. sometimes I have my assistant demonstrate poses .. lol

sometimes you get those girls that want to do high fashion poses and they are tacky and border line embarrassing and you have to stop them.

sometimes you get short girl trying to do high fashion and skinny girls trying to do glamour ... you bring them down to reality ...

Open question really.

It's a bit of everything. As a beginner you still have to have some idea of what would look good so you have to make adjustments.

You can tell you were battling the sun during this shoot which is a tough battle. The shots look good but they would have looked better at a different time of day when the sun wasn't so harsh. Or you should have waited for a cloud to get in front of the sun. It looks like you had some sort of light source out there. You should have waited for some shade and hit here with an off camera flash. When you get into shoots like this lighting is key.

These were shot around 9-10am. The sun was just behind her head and I used a strobe to light her.

Models are people - most of them if given to much direction, they start shutting down and the shoot is a waste of times. Sometimes others take your directions and run with it ....

I try to keep **** smooth ... I don't like what she is doing and voice my opinion - something along the lines of good, but how about if we try this and this ... kind of guiding them to what I want.  But it really depends on the models .. sometimes I have my assistant demonstrate poses .. lol

sometimes you get those girls that want to do high fashion poses and they are tacky and border line embarrassing and you have to stop them.

sometimes you get short girl trying to do high fashion and skinny girls trying to do glamour ... you bring them down to reality ...

Seen it all

It's a bit of everything. As a beginner you still have to have some idea of what would look good so you have to make adjustments.
These were shot around 9-10am. The sun was just behind her head and I used a strobe to light her.
I think it came out good lighting wise ... on some you could of have over power the sun a bit for a bit of dynamic look ... but the one you posted last came out well ...

I think it came out good lighting wise ... on some you could of have over power the sun a bit for a bit of dynamic look ... but the one you posted last came out well ...

Thanks, lighting is very new to me. Photography in general is. Had some issues on my shoot today because the sun was ridiculoussss. Not much along the lines of shade which killed my style because I like to shoot pretty open. I hate shooting above f/4 for portraits, but 9x out of 10 I'm shooting at f/2.8. Well I learned that I'm going to have to invest in another Variable ND filter.

Open question really.

But at the end of the day, would it be what the model wants? Or would that depend on who contacted who first?

And who gets paid? If the photographer contacts the model, does the model get paid (and vice versa)?

Sorry for all the questions :lol: just tryna get an idea of how it works.

But at the end of the day, would it be what the model wants? Or would that depend on who contacted who first?

And who gets paid? If the photographer contacts the model, does the model get paid (and vice versa)?

Sorry for all the questions :lol: just tryna get an idea of how it works.

As the photographer it is you who is in charge of the final product. MUA, Hair, Model would be nothing without someone to capture it. If a model contacts you and wants to pay you to do a shoot then yes, he or she may give input on what they want. However, being that they are contacting you means they want your input as well. You see through the view finder so you know what looks right and what doesn't. I don't give anyone anything that I shoot unless I feel confident about it being out there that I did it. Both parties can have a say in the final product. Models have experience that could possibly help you on a shoot or on a certain look your going for.

So .. Did some last minute shopping and I hope I don't regret leaving my FF for this PR trip. However .. I'm planning on doing to many trails water activities and site seeing and I learned from my Europe trip that is a pain. Got these 2 today ... One for all the time and the other for when going to the beach etc ...

Went with the original RX100 per some of you suggeation and I hope I don't regret not picking up the 3

DSC_1805.jpg

02-DSC_1805-Edit.jpg

From my shoot yesterday morning. Trying to get better with edits. My process is import into Lightroom as a separate catalogue for each shoot. Edit in Photoshop. This was frequency separation. Then send it back to Lightroom where I used a VSCo Film preset that I then tweaked. Any suggestions or pointers?

Edit: Top pic has VSCo applied just to see how it would look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom