The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I just bought a a7 and I'm switching over to mirrorless. I'm thinking of getting the EF 35mm for street photography and some portraits. Anyone with a Sony I'd love for some recommendations. Also would like a zoom but not sure what's good. I got a shoot coming up where my boy wants me to take shots of his son at the Rockefeller tree for Xmas cards. I'm a bit nervous but im confident in my shots what I'm working on now is post editing. LR is *#%^ when you first start.

the great thing about mirrorless is that there almost isn't a less that you can't put on a mirrorless camera, especially if you don't mind manually focusing! in the world of native lenses w/autofocus the FE 55mm is supposed to be pretty stellar, among the best available for any system. as far as native zooms go, i don't think there are many options of the faster variety most are f4, some people use adapters & canon glass but the autofocus is spotty (which the AF is rather spotty even with native glass and especially on the 1st generation a7 series). i definitely recommend customizing the camera's quick menu (the function menu) & the customizable buttons, this will make the camera much more usable and keep you out of diving through the rather cluttered menus!!!

Would you mind posting. I'd like to what you think is garbage photos compared to what you provide here and IG. Love your stuff btw and DRN & Steezy.

I am have two photos I am trying to edit. For the most part, that is all I got cause all the rest were either blurry or I just didn't get to shoot anything cause of all the people around. One is a typical IG style shot and the other has just really bad posing. My cousin's fiance looks bad from the back, so he almost looks like back fat is showing. I'll post tonight.

Curious as to what you guys would do in this situation.

I'm planning on giving myself a nice gift for xmas, looking to get a nice 35mm as my walk around/go-to lens. It's going to be my only lens for a while as I've sold my 24-105L, and am selling my 50 f/1.4. I was pretty much set on getting the 35L but ever since the 35L II came out I've been drooling over it. It's pretty much the sharpest 35 out right now, damn near zero chromatic aberration, and focuses quick as hell (judging from samples and a few reviews that are out). It destroys the original 35L wide open, and all across the board, but it comes at a steep price. For me to get it in Canada taxes in it would run me almost $2500. I know I want this lens, but the only thing is the price. The 35L would run me around $1800 if I buy it new, so I'm thinking if I'm going to spend the money on either one, I may as well get the updated one? What would you guys do?

I know the Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art is loved by many, but Sigma is really hit or miss when it comes to AF/Sharpness and If I'm spending the money I really don't want to take the chance (plus I need that red ring, smh I'm a sheep). It's either the 35L, or the 35L II.

:nerd: :wow:

Peep the difference in image quality. 35L vs. 35L II: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...LensComp=121&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Last edited:
Copped a canon 5d mark 2 yesterday on CL for 800 (67k shutter count)

included the canon grip, 3 canon batteries, trigger release, and all box info.

Camera is in pristine condition... like wow homie took REALLY good care of it.

Its also huge compared to my nikon d7000 :lol: (even with the grip on my d7000 is way bigger)

50mm prime test shot w/ 1.8.. LAWD the bokeh is smooth a buttuh :wow: :pimp: :x :pimp:

a photographer friend / mentor is letting me hold her 85mm prime for a while.

Currently saving for 70-200mm 2.8 :x and a couple speedlights.

Later one planning to cop the tamron 15-30, canon macro, etc etc

the great thing about mirrorless is that there almost isn't a less that you can't put on a mirrorless camera, especially if you don't mind manually focusing! in the world of native lenses w/autofocus the FE 55mm is supposed to be pretty stellar, among the best available for any system. as far as native zooms go, i don't think there are many options of the faster variety most are f4, some people use adapters & canon glass but the autofocus is spotty (which the AF is rather spotty even with native glass and especially on the 1st generation a7 series). i definitely recommend customizing the camera's quick menu (the function menu) & the customizable buttons, this will make the camera much more usable and keep you out of diving through the rather cluttered menus!!!

yeah the guy that sold it to me included an adapter and i put my 50mm nikon but it doesn't seem to work. do you recommend any good mounts?? gonna see what i can find on CG. i might get the 55 or the 35 1.8 this weekend I wanna go out and shoot pronto.

Linked up with L locobaby on Saturday.

Good People and even though both models flaked it was a productive day. Its crazy how your career and family are taking you in a different direction but man I learned a ton from you.

Glad everything worked out for the wife. She stunting now. haha.

Thanks bro. Maybe one day a few of us from this thread can link up and shoot. It is always cool talking to people with common interests.

Yeah wifey is riding clean. lol.

Keep up the good work fam! We will link back up soon.

Last edited:

yeah the guy that sold it to me included an adapter and i put my 50mm nikon but it doesn't seem to work. do you recommend any good mounts?? gonna see what i can find on CG. i might get the 55 or the 35 1.8 this weekend I wanna go out and shoot pronto.
I don't think any of the Nikon lenses autofocus on the Sony cameras, but depending on which adapter you get you should still be able to use auto exposure controls.

when you say it doesn't work, do you mean that the lens isn't working on the body or that the lens won't fit onto the adapter? i really can't give recommendations in terms of mounts other than to say that the given the panoply of mounts, if one is willing to put up with manually focusing, you have a whole lot options to find something that will suit how & what you shoot. do be aware that there is a sony 35mm f1.8 that is NOT a full frame lens, though it will work on the camera, you maybe mean the 35mm f2.8?

I don't think any of the Nikon lenses autofocus on the Sony cameras, but depending on which adapter you get you should still be able to use auto exposure controls.

there is a supposed to a commlite adapter that will bring AF to Nikon lenses on Sony body, but I'm not sure if it is available or how well it works. the adapters for canon seem to have more options that work relatively well, more consistently, though

Fong - Good stuff on the video. Saw the first one before but not the second one. i also have photos that I believe are good on my phone. Before actually taking the photos, I do a quick run through and it's in my head. Helps me out.

Man....I have to give credit where credit is due to people like you, Steezy and anyone really doing portrait shoots. I went out Saturday for about 3-4 hours and got absolutely garbage photos. To make matters worse, there were so many wedding photographers out that day at all the spots I wanted to go to and I hardly factored that in. I can't believe how unsuccessful I was and it tortures me how complicated this type of photography is. Thankfully the wedding is next year so I have more time to try and figure this stuff out.
The more you do it, the more you get it down. The beginning it's a bit tough because what you see in other peoples poses and photographs isn't the same way you want it to be until after a while.

NyZiNFaMoUs - Thanks!

when you say it doesn't work, do you mean that the lens isn't working on the body or that the lens won't fit onto the adapter? i really can't give recommendations in terms of mounts other than to say that the given the panoply of mounts, if one is willing to put up with manually focusing, you have a whole lot options to find something that will suit how & what you shoot. do be aware that there is a sony 35mm f1.8 that is NOT a full frame lens, though it will work on the camera, you maybe mean the 35mm f2.8?

there is a supposed to a commlite adapter that will bring AF to Nikon lenses on Sony body, but I'm not sure if it is available or how well it works. the adapters for canon seem to have more options that work relatively well, more consistently, though
There currently isn't a Nikon to E-mount Lens available with autofocus. I find it easy to use manual focus when using my manual lens. The peaking feature is amazing to use.

Curious as to what you guys would do in this situation.

I'm planning on giving myself a nice gift for xmas, looking to get a nice 35mm as my walk around/go-to lens. It's going to be my only lens for a while as I've sold my 24-105L, and am selling my 50 f/1.4. I was pretty much set on getting the 35L but ever since the 35L II came out I've been drooling over it. It's pretty much the sharpest 35 out right now, damn near zero chromatic aberration, and focuses quick as hell (judging from samples and a few reviews that are out). It destroys the original 35L wide open, and all across the board, but it comes at a steep price. For me to get it in Canada taxes in it would run me almost $2500. I know I want this lens, but the only thing is the price. The 35L would run me around $1800 if I buy it new, so I'm thinking if I'm going to spend the money on either one, I may as well get the updated one? What would you guys do?

I know the Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art is loved by many, but Sigma is really hit or miss when it comes to AF/Sharpness and If I'm spending the money I really don't want to take the chance (plus I need that red ring, smh I'm a sheep). It's either the 35L, or the 35L II.

nerd.gif
embarassed.gif

Peep the difference in image quality. 35L vs. 35L II: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...LensComp=121&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
It's always a good rule of thumb for me is if you can afford better and it won't break you, buy the better option. If not, buy the other one, take care of it, keep stacking ya chips and then sell and upgrade

no it fits but when i go to shoot it like doesn't get the aperture (it says F--)

Just three weeks ago, I packed all I could fit into my Honda Fit and drove cross country from West Palm Beach, FL to NorCal on account of I fell in love with the mountains and decided it was the place for me. I've been staying with family in San Jose and taking the weekends to travel around California and sight see. Here are some photos of my journey thus far. Also follow me on IG @cc.tsuki for more. ^.^

Chinatown San Francisco:

no it fits but when i go to shoot it like doesn't get the aperture (it says F--)

i see, unless your adapter has electronic connections on both ends (to the lens being adapted & to the body) that is how the camera should operate normally; the lens can't communicate with the body without the electronic connections...

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr

Is this from your engagement shoot? Its a nice shot, but the couple doesn't feel like the subject in the photo. It seems like a landscape shot and people happened to by walking by or something. May be better to crop it down.

I know its hindsight, but a change of perspective from (bottom-up instead of head-on) could have worked if you wanted to capture how large the trees were.

Ex:
tlp1008502-guinean-students-standing-in-front-of-the-gettyimages.jpg

120608_David_Peel_Washington_Monument.jpg

^^^^^Yeah.....I know.....it sucks! Haha. I was supposed to shoot it more with a shallow depth of feild but just didn't have things all setup and feared that I'd get them out of focus. I checked all my other photos and just hate them. This was the only thing salvageable but as you said, it seems to Instagram-esque with everything in focus. Luckily my cousin doesn't care as much but I consider that whole shoot an absolute failure.

Ironically I am going back out to shoot Saturday to try and redeem myself with my sister's engagement shoot. I am taking a different approach to this shoot and just going to places that really have no significance in regards to the location. I need to focus on the subject matter rather than the environment. I am also not shooting with the 70-200mm and am going to do it all with primes instead. I am going to get the 85mm f/1.2 and just shoot open on most of the shots. I think I got way too lazy with the zoom and need to push myself to frame things better. Also my other downfall last week is I shot at 3pm and I really didn't have a lot of light to play with. So to be on the safe side, I am shooting at noon-1pm and going from there.

start with the 55mm 1.8. that lense is FIRE. i scooped the a7s at the start of the year and borrowed my friend's 55mm for a music tour and bout to buy my own real soon. i also got the 24-200 thats like 1k which is my go to for concerts but that 55mm is so good.

ive messed with the 24-70 zeiss and its ok. also got the 85mm rokinon 1.8 but rarely use it since all im shooting nowadays are shows

love the a7 series tho!

Back
Top Bottom