The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just three weeks ago, I packed all I could fit into my Honda Fit and drove cross country from West Palm Beach, FL to NorCal on account of I fell in love with the mountains and decided it was the place for me. I've been staying with family in San Jose and taking the weekends to travel around California and sight see. Here are some photos of my journey thus far. Also follow me on IG @cc.tsuki for more. ^.^

Very good pics... what are you shooting with?

I enjoy taking trips to SF (im in the north bay) because its a very photogenic city.

San Jose has a lot of spots to photograph as well...

^^^^^Yeah.....I know.....it sucks! Haha. I was supposed to shoot it more with a shallow depth of feild but just didn't have things all setup and feared that I'd get them out of focus. I checked all my other photos and just hate them. This was the only thing salvageable but as you said, it seems to Instagram-esque with everything in focus. Luckily my cousin doesn't care as much but I consider that whole shoot an absolute failure.

Ironically I am going back out to shoot Saturday to try and redeem myself with my sister's engagement shoot. I am taking a different approach to this shoot and just going to places that really have no significance in regards to the location. I need to focus on the subject matter rather than the environment. I am also not shooting with the 70-200mm and am going to do it all with primes instead. I am going to get the 85mm f/1.2 and just shoot open on most of the shots. I think I got way too lazy with the zoom and need to push myself to frame things better. Also my other downfall last week is I shot at 3pm and I really didn't have a lot of light to play with. So to be on the safe side, I am shooting at noon-1pm and going from there.

Yeah its a decent shot and i agree with silkboi's critique.. try and fill the frame. If you have a long lens you can compress them and get a shallow depth of field even at a f/6 on a kit lens.

--

Here's a shot from a couples shoot from last sat.

I really enjoy taking off camera flash photos like this.

I should have gotten down lower to get the horizon level closer to their ankles. Oh whale

Got over 230 gb of photos on my Mac but I can't figure out where they are. I deleted over 6k photos already and thought it would free up 100gb. Only cleared out 60gb. smh

Got over 230 gb of photos on my Mac but I can't figure out where they are. I deleted over 6k photos already and thought it would free up 100gb. Only cleared out 60gb. smh
I'm sure there are duplicates all over the place. I would suggest searching All Files and then opening the file in its folder. Also if you now have "Photos" instead of iPhoto there is a hidden Folder that houses them.

start with the 55mm 1.8. that lense is FIRE. i scooped the a7s at the start of the year and borrowed my friend's 55mm for a music tour and bout to buy my own real soon. i also got the 24-200 thats like 1k which is my go to for concerts but that 55mm is so good.

ive messed with the 24-70 zeiss and its ok. also got the 85mm rokinon 1.8 but rarely use it since all im shooting nowadays are shows

love the a7 series tho!

the great thing about mirrorless is that there almost isn't a less that you can't put on a mirrorless camera, especially if you don't mind manually focusing! in the world of native lenses w/autofocus the FE 55mm is supposed to be pretty stellar, among the best available for any system. as far as native zooms go, i don't think there are many options of the faster variety most are f4, some people use adapters & canon glass but the autofocus is spotty (which the AF is rather spotty even with native glass and especially on the 1st generation a7 series). i definitely recommend customizing the camera's quick menu (the function menu) & the customizable buttons, this will make the camera much more usable and keep you out of diving through the rather cluttered menus!!!
Yeah, I am selling my 24-70 and getting the 85mm Baits and the 55MM.

Has anyone moved their photo library on a Mac to an external? I am trying to back up my stuff but it says it's going to take like 16 days to move 300GBs. I have no idea why that is and whenever I look it up, I just sort of get no answers on it. I mean I could wait to just let it transfer but it just seems a little extreme.

Has anyone moved their photo library on a Mac to an external? I am trying to back up my stuff but it says it's going to take like 16 days to move 300GBs. I have no idea why that is and whenever I look it up, I just sort of get no answers on it. I mean I could wait to just let it transfer but it just seems a little extreme.

I have all my music and photos on a WD Passport, it's great. If you're super serious about photography or whatever data you're storing I would also get a backup harddrive for it (just in case). I'm assuming you havent backed up in a while? lol.

^^^^The only time I backed up photos was on some DVDs but that was way back when I was able to burn them all on a DVD. For the most part, everything is on my desktop harddrive. I have to backup drives now and I want to put them on there. Just seems way harder than it should for some odd reason.

16 days seems much too long, how fast are the storage drives in question? might be faster to use online storage?

Canon T3i + 24mm f2.8
I only have the 24mm & the nifty 50. I like the sharpness and ease of primes, plus it's all I can afford. My gf and her friend by the pool of the Borgata in Atlantic City. I need to learn how to give models directions, any tips?

Last edited:
I'm sure there are duplicates all over the place. I would suggest searching All Files and then opening the file in its folder. Also if you now have "Photos" instead of iPhoto there is a hidden Folder that houses them.

I looked through all my photos in "All my files" and they don't add up anywhere close to even 60gb. I deleted all the photos in the deleted folder of the photos app. Is there a program that can show all my photo files only? I'm really confused right now lol

I looked through all my photos in "All my files" and they don't add up anywhere close to even 60gb. I deleted all the photos in the deleted folder of the photos app. Is there a program that can show all my photo files only? I'm really confused right now lol

do you use lightroom? if so it can help point you to where your files are...

16 days seems much too long, how fast are the storage drives in question? might be faster to use online storage?

It has something to do with the iPhoto program. I use USB 3.0 drives. They are fast but just can't seem to figure out this iPhoto thing.

iphoto is so confusingly cyrptic...it creates tons on useless empty folders, i believe at one point if you shot raw iphoto would automatically create a jpeg file as well, creating an unnecessary duplicate, which was fine until i wanted to actually access the original files. switching over to lightroom got everything sorted though...

if you're using iphoto, are you copying the library file?

iphoto is so confusingly cyrptic...it creates tons on useless empty folders, i believe at one point if you shot raw iphoto would automatically create a jpeg file as well, creating an unnecessary duplicate, which was fine until i wanted to actually access the original files. switching over to lightroom got everything sorted though...

if you're using iphoto, are you copying the library file?

I use LR. Here's my import process:

1. Import photos from camera to photos app.
2. Export Raw images to folder
3. Import images into LR
4. Export edited photos to photo then move them to external drive

What I did was delete most of the raw images that were exported from photos to my date specific folders and delete the photos that were imported from my camera to the photos app. I used to have ~30GB free until I did what I said in the last sentence and now have 130gb free. Still don't have anywhere near 211gb of photos in lightroom, photos app, or exported material. My entire photos folder where I export all the raw images and edited files has only 16.42gb's of pics.

Last edited:
^^^^^Yeah. I just go to my profile > pictures > Photos Library. I just drag and drop and it idles for a long time and then it says like 16 days. Whenever I read tutorials, they say it shouldn't take that long. I literally can't find anything in regards to this issue. I was thinking it was a Photos thing since I don't use iPhotos no more but still not a 100% sure what is wrong.

I just noticed that my iphotos library is 183gb but I haven't even touched it since May because that's when photos came out. In the process of deleting everything that's in their so that should clear up 183gb hopefully.

8,644 photos :x

After deleting all those photos in iphoto that cleared up a lot of space! Glad I finally figured it out! Now I can import my recent pics lol...Iphoto is such a hassle :smh:

Last edited:
I had a lot of duplicates as well. It had a great deal to do with iPhoto. If say.....you import photos via iPhoto....then click and drag everything into separate folders, whatever you clicked/dragged are duplicates. I have all my photos in folders named by dates that I shot. After moving them to an external HDD, I found I wasn't clearing as much space as I wanted.

If you import pictures like I did......

highlight everything in iPhoto you want to delete, Command+D to clear them....now go into Edit or one of the other tabs (which one escapes me at the moment)...look for "Recently Deleted", and confirm deletion. Thats how I cleared away a lot of space.

That's why I never mess with iPhoto or any other app to import photos to my macbook. I import everything manually (drag & drop) from the sd card to folders in my documents. I ran out of space on my hard drive (500gb) as I was importing my Chicago trip photos and have been deleting a lot of old shots since. I've deleted 50 gigs so far and got plenty to go. Since I've done everything manually it's good to know that I don't have duplicates hiding somewhere.

^
pimp.gif

Those shots are incredible, awesome stuff man
Thanks! 
So good my dude. I just can;t seem to justify spending that kind of loot for the choppa ride. Crazy how you got it for free. Nice stuff.
I appreciate that Fong. Yea I was surprised as well.

I can see why someone including myself, would be hesitant to drop that kind of money on a Heli ride but man the experience is pretty amazing.

I honestly can't wait to do it again. I've dropped money on stupid sh*t and this is far from it fom me cause I know my photography will benefit from it,

plus aside from it being a thrill ride you get to see the city in a way that most people will never get to see it.
Good stuff Jordan!
smokin.gif

Some recent stuff.

More on my blog as always.

IG - @dunksrnice
www.dunksrnice.net
Thanks Rolo!

I had a lot of duplicates as well. It had a great deal to do with iPhoto. If say.....you import photos via iPhoto....then click and drag everything into separate folders, whatever you clicked/dragged are duplicates. I have all my photos in folders named by dates that I shot. After moving them to an external HDD, I found I wasn't clearing as much space as I wanted.

If you import pictures like I did......

highlight everything in iPhoto you want to delete, Command+D to clear them....now go into Edit or one of the other tabs (which one escapes me at the moment)...look for "Recently Deleted", and confirm deletion. Thats how I cleared away a lot of space.

I gotta remember to start checking the deleted folder now.

That's why I never mess with iPhoto or any other app to import photos to my macbook. I import everything manually (drag & drop) from the sd card to folders in my documents. I ran out of space on my hard drive (500gb) as I was importing my Chicago trip photos and have been deleting a lot of old shots since. I've deleted 50 gigs so far and got plenty to go. Since I've done everything manually it's good to know that I don't have duplicates hiding somewhere.

Probably going to start doing this going forward. Hate how there are so many copies lingering around with iphoto.

I just noticed that my iphotos library is 183gb but I haven't even touched it since May because that's when photos came out. In the process of deleting everything that's in their so that should clear up 183gb hopefully.

8,644 photos :x

After deleting all those photos in iphoto that cleared up a lot of space! Glad I finally figured it out! Now I can import my recent pics lol...Iphoto is such a hassle :smh:

Well think about it, most picture average 10mp so that adds up quick. If you don't have space your pictures and videos are what's taking up the most space.

Also check out your itunes backups.

Back
Top Bottom