The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I think I'm going to try and sell some of my lenses to get the Nikon 105 1.4. Prob get rid of my nik 85 1.4, nik 28-300, and maybe my sigma 150. I don't have any other accessories or lenses I could part with though. My 1200mm hasn't been getting much use though :lol:

I think I'm going to try and sell some of my lenses to get the Nikon 105 1.4. Prob get rid of my nik 85 1.4, nik 28-300, and maybe my sigma 150. I don't have any other accessories or lenses I could part with though. My 1200mm hasn't been getting much use though :lol:

that 105 1.4 is such a dreamy lens.

Any particular reason why you'd want it bad enough to get rid of the 85 1.4??? that lens is awesome too.

Any particular reason why you'd want it bad enough to get rid of the 85 1.4??? that lens is awesome too.

Its the 85 1.4D, so it is a bit older of the lens. It could be my technique, but I have a hard time getting really crisp shots with it at f1.4. I don't know if it is because it has an older autofocus system or not. Either way, I'd like to try something new. I find most of my shooting when I do portraits though, to be around 100mm, so I would prefer to have just that extra little reach. If I can get 800 or so for the 85, and 600 for the 28, then it isn't too much more for the 105.

My 1200mm hasn't been getting much use though :lol:

1200mm!!!!!!!!!! for serious!?!?

Yeah! :lol: It is an old lens that was made for the 1984 olympics. There are less than a few hundred copies ever made. I've seen roughly 500 copies of known production on this site:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#800

You can read more about it here:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/1200mm.htm

And here are some pictures of it from a few years back when it was on my D3S (I no longer have the body)

I usually get a random PM or email about once a month from people around the world who want to buy it from me :lol:

Here are a couple shots I took with the lens:

Sorry to bring this whole tripod thing up again but anyone regret getting the screw locks like the MeFoto Road Trip rather than the other traditional locks? I never used the screw ones but hear bad stuff about it. I have 20 mins to pull the tigger on that tripod and I am still second questioning it.

Sorry to bring this whole tripod thing up again but anyone regret getting the screw locks like the MeFoto Road Trip rather than the other traditional locks? I never used the screw ones but hear bad stuff about it. I have 20 mins to pull the tigger on that tripod and I am still second questioning it.

I dig mine cuz I never have to worry about getting the snap lock snagged on something or breaking off. You get used to the twist locks pretty quickly and get a routine to make it easy and efficient to set up or pack away.

I dig mine cuz I never have to worry about getting the snap lock snagged on something or breaking off. You get used to the twist locks pretty quickly and get a routine to make it easy and efficient to set up or pack away.

Ok....cool man. You are always on the grind taking photos every in SF. I'll take your word for it. Looks like I got a new tripod then.

EDIT: HAHA! They sold out! Mother effer!

Last edited:

Ok....cool man. You are always on the grind taking photos every in SF. I'll take your word for it. Looks like I got a new tripod then.

EDIT: HAHA! They sold out! Mother effer!

I might have posted the deal on SD last night :rolleyes

It's been sold out since about 8am this morning...but you can borrow mine when it comes in? lol

Last edited:
I've had the MeFoto for a while now, it's been pretty much perfect for my needs. Every so often one of the legs will slide a little bit, but it's not really a big deal, just have to tighten it back up. You can do the twist locks really quickly too.  I actually just convinced 2 of my friends to pick up the Road Trip (and Fuji X cams) in the past few weeks 
laugh.gif

Its the 85 1.4D, so it is a bit older of the lens. It could be my technique, but I have a hard time getting really crisp shots with it at f1.4. I don't know if it is because it has an older autofocus system or not. Either way, I'd like to try something new. I find most of my shooting when I do portraits though, to be around 100mm, so I would prefer to have just that extra little reach. If I can get 800 or so for the 85, and 600 for the 28, then it isn't too much more for the 105.

My 1200mm hasn't been getting much use though :lol:

1200mm!!!!!!!!!! for serious!?!?

Yeah! :lol: It is an old lens that was made for the 1984 olympics. There are less than a few hundred copies ever made. I've seen roughly 500 copies of known production on this site:

I bow before your mighty glass :pimp: :nthat: :x :smokin

Curious, but why would you get a d2x?
Even though it's an older dinosaur of a cam I love the already attached vertical grip on it and I knew whatever cam I was gonna get I was gonna buy a grip for it and just wanted to skip that extra step

Completely forgot the EDIT drop, I'll try to throw mine in tonight

Curious, but why would you get a d2x?

Even though it's an older dinosaur of a cam I love the already attached vertical grip on it and I knew whatever cam I was gonna get I was gonna buy a grip for it and just wanted to skip that extra step

Completely forgot the EDIT drop, I'll try to throw mine in tonight

I can certainly respect that, but I feel like you might as well pick up a d3 instead. The differences between the two in image quality are dramatic. Used D3s can be had for less than $1000, and I think you will be really disappointed with the d2x IQ if you are coming from any digital camera that was released within the last 10 years. I love the D3 series (D3, D3S, D3X), the control layout and feel of the camera are second to none in my opinion. I had a D3S for a while, and after getting my D800E, I really never used the D3S because the IQ was so dramatically better, that I just couldn't justify using it anymore. I've thought about picking up a used D3 series again as they are my absolute favorite, but I just can't get myself to do it yet. I would strongly suggest something other than the D2X... but if you're dead set on it, I am sure you will enjoy it. The pro bodies just feel so much better.

I can certainly respect that, but I feel like you might as well pick up a d3 instead. The differences between the two in image quality are dramatic. Used D3s can be had for less than $1000, and I think you will be really disappointed with the d2x IQ if you are coming from any digital camera that was released within the last 10 years. I love the D3 series (D3, D3S, D3X), the control layout and feel of the camera are second to none in my opinion. I had a D3S for a while, and after getting my D800E, I really never used the D3S because the IQ was so dramatically better, that I just couldn't justify using it anymore. I've thought about picking up a used D3 series again as they are my absolute favorite, but I just can't get myself to do it yet. I would strongly suggest something other than the D2X... but if you're dead set on it, I am sure you will enjoy it. The pro bodies just feel so much better.
D3 is my dream cam and honestly if I had the bread I would. I was supposed to get it during the summer but my wife missed some checks cause we had our baby and she didn't get paid for some weeks so my D3 money became bill and rent money.

If I can get I've been working on my clothing line and I should have some hats ready to sell by the end of this month or beginning of the year and I should have enough for the cam and a nice lens. I've been researching all the cams around the same price point and trying to find one that is more compelling and although I'm still set on the 2X I know there are some that are "better"

D3 is my dream cam and honestly if I had the bread I would. I was supposed to get it during the summer but my wife missed some checks cause we had our baby and she didn't get paid for some weeks so my D3 money became bill and rent money.

If I can get I've been working on my clothing line and I should have some hats ready to sell by the end of this month or beginning of the year and I should have enough for the cam and a nice lens. I've been researching all the cams around the same price point and trying to find one that is more compelling and although I'm still set on the 2X I know there are some that are "better"

Is a d700 in your range? Those are even less, around $700 for a really good condition body. I'll send you my grip that I no longer use (don't have my d700 body anymore) for free if you're interested.

i woulda copped a d7100 and what ever lens corresponding to the genre i want to shoot for & call it a day :lol:

Not happy with the way the windshield turned out but oh well

I don't have anything epic like some of ya'll with the instant wallpaper shots but here's what I got. Interested to see what people come up with. All of my stuff was done in LR

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4FDuRDvLPWxZHBCalBqQVY3WE0

My edits:

Golden Gate by Mayank4585, on Flickr

So pretty by Mayank4585, on Flickr

here's my take on your shots...never had messed with any car shots before this...so definitely just slippin' and slidin' with those edits...

^^o_O I really like the feel of the last one. Nice job man!

You just used graduated filters on the top and bottom to darken it up in LR?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom