The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

biked around nashville & shot with my 35mm . . a picture from my school library too.

4419721215_8eb030eb5c.jpg

4420490158_27b9fac69b.jpg

4420490878_465f77241c.jpg

4403336568_333e72806e.jpg

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to photography but have always liked it. Any tips on getting started? My current in camera is an old Nikon FM SLR.

Okay I need my fellow film nerds on this one.

1.) I dug up and old Voigslander Perkeo II, its shoots 120. I have a few questions as to how to use it. I doubt anyone has knowledge on it but my plan was to throw some 120 film in there, grab a tripod and shoot down at the beach, then maybe throw a flash on there and get some shots of friends at night. Is there a way of cheating through this so that I can leave it at a certain neutral ISO and Shutter Speed while still getting good shots down at the beach? Any tips for how I should go about this?

2.) Probably been asked a million times but where can I get 600 polaroid film? Not the internet...

just got put onto http://www.flickriver.com/ kinda cool

superfly: 600 film has been discontinued , so your best bet would be EBAY.
HOWEVER you can use 779 film in 600 polaroid cameras
and that film is a little bit cheaper on ebay

i use the 779 film, works fine.. just bought a pack that expired 1/06 but thankfully the photos come out good

just got put onto http://www.flickriver.com/ kinda cool

superfly: 600 film has been discontinued , so your best bet would be EBAY.
HOWEVER you can use 779 film in 600 polaroid cameras
and that film is a little bit cheaper on ebay

i use the 779 film, works fine.. just bought a pack that expired 1/06 but thankfully the photos come out good

Originally Posted by Superflyjesus15

Okay I need my fellow film nerds on this one.

1.) I dug up and old Voigslander Perkeo II, its shoots 120. I have a few questions as to how to use it. I doubt anyone has knowledge on it but my plan was to throw some 120 film in there, grab a tripod and shoot down at the beach, then maybe throw a flash on there and get some shots of friends at night. Is there a way of cheating through this so that I can leave it at a certain neutral ISO and Shutter Speed while still getting good shots down at the beach? Any tips for how I should go about this?

2.) Probably been asked a million times but where can I get 600 polaroid film? Not the internet...
120 film is expensive to develop, and even harder to find places to develop it. On film, ISO is determined by what ISO film you buy. When you buy film, it'll say a number like 100, 125, 200, 400, 800 etc. That's your ISO. You should be really careful with that camera because it's so old. Instead of a shutter, it uses what's called a "leaf", which is a good name considering how fragile it is. It works like a shutter, but instead of sliding up and down, it's side to side and folds like paper. Do some research on its value and sell it and get a DSLR instead. I've been shooting for about 4 years now and still haven't gotten into medium format because of the cost and learning curve, despite how much I would love to shoot in medium format.

Originally Posted by aBKLYNthing

I'ma complete beginner when it comes to photography but have always likedit. Any tips on getting started? My current in camera is an old NikonFM SLR.
Lots of good links on page 1 thanks to RapSizzle. If you can, take a photography course at your local college. Since you're shooting with a film SLR, that'll allow you to shoot and develop your own film and will make the transition to digital much smoother and you'll be leaps and bounds above the rest of people trying to learn to shoot with an SLR and/or DSLR.

My latest, really random how I got the rainbow colors, couldn't have done that even if I tried.

Also, hit me up on Flickr, and I'll add you as a contact, got quite a few NTers on my contact list.

4393137299_667d7b28bd.jpg

So finally got to play with a friends D40 and another friends D300. So I finally was going to go and make a purchase to learn and pick up photography as a hobby and started my research. Would you guys think its crazy with me to start with a T1i? I really dont know jack about photography but I have the opportunity to pick one up for $650. The whole kit, seller states lens is new never used. This was his backup cam. If I go for it of course I might offer less. Should I give it a go or am I better off with a lower model(Canon or Nikon) for a beginner?

Originally Posted by loonyrobert

So finally got to play with a friends D40 and another friends D300. So I finally was going to go and make a purchase to learn and pick up photography as a hobby and started my research. Would you guys think its crazy with me to start with a T1i? I really dont know jack about photography but I have the opportunity to pick one up for $650. The whole kit, seller states lens is new never used. This was his backup cam. If I go for it of course I might offer less. Should I give it a go or am I better off with a lower model(Canon or Nikon) for a beginner?
If you can afford the T1i, there's not a soul on here that'll tell you not to get it. It's Canon's recent entry-level DSLR. You won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom