The Official PlayStation 3 | ViTA Thread Vol. Plenty of Life Left

yoooo ya'll remember when the licker jumps through the 2 way mirror in re2? i had to pop in crash bandicoot just to calm down lol.

pimp.gif

NHL 12 is the business
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I'm not good enough to play online yet since it's my first hockey game since NHL Breakaway 98
laugh.gif
, but I'm really loving it a lot.
pimp.gif

NHL 12 is the business
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I'm not good enough to play online yet since it's my first hockey game since NHL Breakaway 98
laugh.gif
, but I'm really loving it a lot.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Hyper

Originally Posted by Proshares

Oh man, remember when you walked downstairs in the police station after heading to the 2nd floor for the first time and as soon as you turned the corner he jumped through that tiny window and attacked you?

Son...

Anyone remember in RE2 when the arms pop through the boarded up window for the first time?

I swear, there's still hole in my ceiling from my head crashing through it.

Man RE2.
30t6p3b.gif

Scariest game I've played in my life.

Toine, no BF3 or MW3?

Honestly Pro, I'm not really into FPS games. I had Killzone 2, traded it in without even playing it, and I've Modern Warfare 1 & 2 for a minute and have yet to play either.
laugh.gif

Bought both games off of hype.

Oh man, remember when you walked downstairs in the police station after heading to the 2nd floor for the first time and as soon as you turned the corner he jumped through that tiny window and attacked you?

Son...

Anyone remember in RE2 when the arms pop through the boarded up window for the first time?

Man RE2.
30t6p3b.gif

Scariest game I've played in my life.

Toine, no BF3 or MW3?

Honestly Pro, I'm not really into FPS games. I had Killzone 2, traded it in without even playing it, and I've Modern Warfare 1 & 2 for a minute and have yet to play either.
laugh.gif

Bought both games off of hype.

Son...

Yo! Both these parts had me shook!
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Also, for anyone with RE4, hook up Capo! He's good people.
pimp.gif

PO

Son...

Yo! Both these parts had me shook!
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Also, for anyone with RE4, hook up Capo! He's good people.
pimp.gif

PO

Debating on getting RE 3 and 1. I already have 2, I don't play it either lol, I play all my psone classics game on my PSPGO maybe that's why i dont play it as much.

Debating on getting RE 3 and 1. I already have 2, I don't play it either lol, I play all my psone classics game on my PSPGO maybe that's why i dont play it as much.

Via Joystiq

Dead or Alive 5's 'fighting entertainment' means even crazier stages
doa5920.jpg

Team Ninja pulled an Apple-style "one more thing" at its pre-TGS party, announcing Dead or Alive 5 at the last minute and showing an early trailer. At that event, studio head Yosuke Hayashi called DOA 5 a "fighting entertainment" game, something distinct from other fighting games.

Later, in an interview at Tecmo's TGS booth, I asked Hayashi to clear up that terminology. The early generation of fighting games, around Street Fighter 2, he said, "had some of the most outrageous graphics, fun gameplay, and really a lot of stuff going on." He implied that, in comparison, modern fighting games emphasize online competition over wowing players with unprecedented visuals.

"It's not as over-the-top, it's not as much of the entertainment aspect that the originals had, and so they seem a little bit dull, in some aspects." The term "fighting entertainment" represents an effort to return spectacle to the genre.

But Dead or Alive has basically always been about spectacle, and not just the embarrassing kind of spectacle the female characters provide. Stages are multi-layered, complicated, and interactive, with fighters knocking each other off of waterfalls, into electrified walls, and through wooden floors. How could it get any more "entertaining?"

"So in the past [Dead or Alive] games," Hayashi said, "most of the dangers were fixed, set areas on the stage that you can knock your opponent into -- and they were just set there, the stage didn't change a whole lot. If you watch the video from our press event, you can see the entire stage changing and taking a different shape, and all sorts of chaos happening." You'll be able to trigger changes to the "geometry" of stages in addition to moving up, down, and through them.

That sounds to us like a pretty natural evolution of that particular series -- more natural than, say, volleyball and bathing suit gifting.

Via Joystiq

Dead or Alive 5's 'fighting entertainment' means even crazier stages
doa5920.jpg

Team Ninja pulled an Apple-style "one more thing" at its pre-TGS party, announcing Dead or Alive 5 at the last minute and showing an early trailer. At that event, studio head Yosuke Hayashi called DOA 5 a "fighting entertainment" game, something distinct from other fighting games.

Later, in an interview at Tecmo's TGS booth, I asked Hayashi to clear up that terminology. The early generation of fighting games, around Street Fighter 2, he said, "had some of the most outrageous graphics, fun gameplay, and really a lot of stuff going on." He implied that, in comparison, modern fighting games emphasize online competition over wowing players with unprecedented visuals.

"It's not as over-the-top, it's not as much of the entertainment aspect that the originals had, and so they seem a little bit dull, in some aspects." The term "fighting entertainment" represents an effort to return spectacle to the genre.

But Dead or Alive has basically always been about spectacle, and not just the embarrassing kind of spectacle the female characters provide. Stages are multi-layered, complicated, and interactive, with fighters knocking each other off of waterfalls, into electrified walls, and through wooden floors. How could it get any more "entertaining?"

"So in the past [Dead or Alive] games," Hayashi said, "most of the dangers were fixed, set areas on the stage that you can knock your opponent into -- and they were just set there, the stage didn't change a whole lot. If you watch the video from our press event, you can see the entire stage changing and taking a different shape, and all sorts of chaos happening." You'll be able to trigger changes to the "geometry" of stages in addition to moving up, down, and through them.

That sounds to us like a pretty natural evolution of that particular series -- more natural than, say, volleyball and bathing suit gifting.

Via Twitter

Battlefield 3 open beta begins September 29
batt3.jpg

The Battlefield 3 multiplayer open beta will deploy on September 29 for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. The beta map to be played ad nauseam is "Operation Metro." It pits two sides against each other in Rush Mode, where one team is tasked with destroying several sets of objectives, while the other defends.

Access to the beta will be available on September 27 to PC players who pre-order the game through EA's Origin service and to console players who pre-ordered Medal of Honor Limited Edition last year (remember that game?) Those uninterested in playing tester for EA can grab the full game on October 25.

Via Twitter

Battlefield 3 open beta begins September 29
batt3.jpg

The Battlefield 3 multiplayer open beta will deploy on September 29 for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3. The beta map to be played ad nauseam is "Operation Metro." It pits two sides against each other in Rush Mode, where one team is tasked with destroying several sets of objectives, while the other defends.

Access to the beta will be available on September 27 to PC players who pre-order the game through EA's Origin service and to console players who pre-ordered Medal of Honor Limited Edition last year (remember that game?) Those uninterested in playing tester for EA can grab the full game on October 25.

Via Joystiq

GameFly expresses confidence as Netflix muscles in
gameflylogo530.jpg

GameFly is putting on a strong face as it prepares for its greatest competitor to the game rental space to date: Netflix. Well, the behemoth's disc distribution division is called Qwikster now -- a change that's taking folks some time to wrap their brains around -- but the fact remains: Netflix's distribution network is an efficient beast. It is a key aspect GameFly has struggled with over the years.

"GameFly has expanded steadily over the past nine years by focusing exclusively on video gamers. We are the only retailer offering games physically and digitally for both rental and purchase," GameFly responded in a statement when asked about Qwikster. "Gamers can try before they buy, choosing from new releases and classic titles that span the last decade. GameFly has more than 8000 games for 10 console and handheld systems to choose from, and over 1500 Windows/Mac games are available for download."

GameFly is preparing for the digitally distributed future with acquisitions like Direct2Drive, which will allow the company to add "Unlimited PC Play" for free to its service offerings this holiday.

"GameFly is the leading video game rental service, and we have continued to grow even as Blockbuster and Redbox increased their investment in console games."

Qwikster has yet to show how serious it is about the game space, nor has it given an idea about the price for its games 'n' flix service -- wait, that's probably not the best term to use.

I'm sticking with Gamefly, they never disappoint.

Via Joystiq

GameFly expresses confidence as Netflix muscles in
gameflylogo530.jpg

GameFly is putting on a strong face as it prepares for its greatest competitor to the game rental space to date: Netflix. Well, the behemoth's disc distribution division is called Qwikster now -- a change that's taking folks some time to wrap their brains around -- but the fact remains: Netflix's distribution network is an efficient beast. It is a key aspect GameFly has struggled with over the years.

"GameFly has expanded steadily over the past nine years by focusing exclusively on video gamers. We are the only retailer offering games physically and digitally for both rental and purchase," GameFly responded in a statement when asked about Qwikster. "Gamers can try before they buy, choosing from new releases and classic titles that span the last decade. GameFly has more than 8000 games for 10 console and handheld systems to choose from, and over 1500 Windows/Mac games are available for download."

GameFly is preparing for the digitally distributed future with acquisitions like Direct2Drive, which will allow the company to add "Unlimited PC Play" for free to its service offerings this holiday.

"GameFly is the leading video game rental service, and we have continued to grow even as Blockbuster and Redbox increased their investment in console games."

Qwikster has yet to show how serious it is about the game space, nor has it given an idea about the price for its games 'n' flix service -- wait, that's probably not the best term to use.

I'm sticking with Gamefly, they never disappoint.

Via Avtivision PR

Call of Duty Elite beta finally available on PlayStation 3
eliteshield_530x375.jpg

The Xbox 360 Call of Duty head start doesn't just apply to DLC, where the platform enjoys a limited period of exclusivity; it also applies to the forthcoming suite of services known as Call of Duty Elite. Or, rather, applied. The Xbox 360 beta program kicked off over two months ago but today, Activision has announced that the beta is also available for PlayStation 3.

"Beta testers can take their current Call of Duty multiplayer experience to the next level by jumping into the Beta version of the Call of Duty Elite service, as beta access will start to be activated in stages, with limited invitations rolling out effective today," the press release reads. The beta is of course limited to Call of Duty: Black Ops, with the full feature set locked until Modern Warfare 3 hits retail on November 8.

While many of Elite's most popular services will be free, a $50/year premium subscription will also be available, which notably includes a year's worth of DLC for the game. Whether premium -paying PS3 players will still have to suffer through Xbox exclusivity is unclear; we've asked Activision to clarify. Until then, if you want in on the beta, head to www.callofduty.com/elite and enlist!

Via Avtivision PR

Call of Duty Elite beta finally available on PlayStation 3
eliteshield_530x375.jpg

The Xbox 360 Call of Duty head start doesn't just apply to DLC, where the platform enjoys a limited period of exclusivity; it also applies to the forthcoming suite of services known as Call of Duty Elite. Or, rather, applied. The Xbox 360 beta program kicked off over two months ago but today, Activision has announced that the beta is also available for PlayStation 3.

"Beta testers can take their current Call of Duty multiplayer experience to the next level by jumping into the Beta version of the Call of Duty Elite service, as beta access will start to be activated in stages, with limited invitations rolling out effective today," the press release reads. The beta is of course limited to Call of Duty: Black Ops, with the full feature set locked until Modern Warfare 3 hits retail on November 8.

While many of Elite's most popular services will be free, a $50/year premium subscription will also be available, which notably includes a year's worth of DLC for the game. Whether premium -paying PS3 players will still have to suffer through Xbox exclusivity is unclear; we've asked Activision to clarify. Until then, if you want in on the beta, head to www.callofduty.com/elite and enlist!

I got into the Elite thing. I don't even know the point of it really. Just tracks your stats and all that stuff that you can just see in the playercard?

I got into the Elite thing. I don't even know the point of it really. Just tracks your stats and all that stuff that you can just see in the playercard?

Back
Top Bottom