The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got no jokes

Feel horrible for people that lost their jobs

Game development industry is in a rough place right now, that I honestly don't know how it gets out of.
Everything ends up everywhere. Except for Nintendo because they have shoestring budgets and mainly Japanese staffs

I was thinking about cancelling Hulu to upgrade to PS+ Essential, this might be the time.

Got no jokes

Feel horrible for people that lost their jobs

Game development industry is in a rough place right now, that I honestly don't know how it gets out of.

Any info on why the industry is in this spot? Or links for more insight?

It seems like budgets are getting bigger, and development cycles are lasting longer. Which on a surface level would make you think that less staff doesn’t add up.

Any info on why the industry is in this spot? Or links for more insight?

It seems like budgets are getting bigger, and development cycles are lasting longer. Which on a surface level would make you think that less staff doesn’t add up.

It would appear that model isn't sustainable for anyone outside of the largest publishers. Rockstar can make it work when they sell 50+ million copies, but profit margins are falling across the industry. And we cant have that.

Shawn Layden was saying this in 2020:

Now I would argue there IS a sustainable, model to be found just not with the top-end profits. It would also rely on engine and asset usage shared.

Middle management bloat seems to be the biggest issue at many of these companies.

Keep in mind the move to ~50% digital sales means more profit for developers as well, which seems to have been washed out by costs.

Last edited:
I dont see it talked about in this thread, but I just finished Steamworld Build and it is one of the best city management games I've played in a long time.

I find SimCity, Tropico, and Cities: Skylines get a bit too into the weeds. This game is a bit more basic and obviously a more fantasy setting, but I really liked it.

It's no Frostpunk, but thats okay. :lol:

Lol, you sure are one lousey troll... did you even look at the game?

Screenshot_20240227_173450_Chrome.jpg

Im sure only the power of the PS5 is capable of running that 2D game at 120hrz. What TV do you have buddy?

Back
Top Bottom