The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's why the MS acquisition spree was nothing to be excited about in the first place.

MS 1st party floundered for a decade, but them scooping up all these studios was supposed to be a good thing, somehow. Because the head of Xbox wore a Hexen t-shirt, I guess.

Never understood the people who believed MS's acquisitions were good, because competition is good, otherwise Sony will get arrogant and do this and that.

Like, Sony's business is a million billion times more dependent on Playstation's success than MS's business is on Xbox. MS can cut bait on their gaming division and carry on all the same, so why should we be happy that they control of larger and larger parts of the industry?

Arkane and Tango didn't even get to start and finish a game under MS. What's going to happen to their other smaller studios? MS is not providing the stability for these studios that many (including xbox leadership) swore they would.

Last edited:
That's why the MS acquisition spree was nothing to be excited about in the first place.

MS 1st party floundered for a decade, but them scooping up all these studios was supposed to be a good thing, somehow. Because the head of Xbox wore a Hexen t-shirt, I guess.

Never understood the people who believed MS's acquisitions were good, because competition is good, otherwise Sony will get arrogant and do this and that.

Like, Sony's business is a million billion times more dependent on Playstation's success than MS's business is on Xbox. MS can cut bait on their gaming division and carry on all the same, so why should we be happy that they control of larger and larger parts of the industry?

Arkane and Tango didn't even get to start and finish a game under MS. What's going to happen to their other smaller studios? MS is not providing the stability for these studios that many swore they would.

Yeah this is a bad take, IMO

If I remember correctly Zennix were looking to sell because of the CEO situation. If MS didn't buy them, someone else would.

Nearly everyone is having layoffs.

Sony just had big layoffs in February. Their management has an issue with margins as well.

They are openly talking about margins have to be better. I don't see how studios that burn cash and don't make money would survive better if Sony owned Bethesda, or EA, or Take-Two, Tencent, etc.

This is not unique to Microsoft. Hell the whole tech industry is feeling the squeeze

And If Microsoft wanted to exit gaming, they would just sell off their assets.

This Microsoft being big is bad for the industry makes no sense.

Investors want to see solid margins, no matter the company.

Last edited:
How did you feel when Sony laid off 8% of their staff in February, and closed their London Studio?

Jumping to Nintendo?
Neither Sony or MS are heading into a great future.

But I was referring to investment and how MS clearly not having any real direction after the 360 era. It's clear MS has been damaged for years after the 360 era, I had my fill of sony glad I jumped at the right time but yes, Sony aint been pretty lately either

Hi-Fi rush being a critical darling one of the first for MS in years and them shutting them down due to pushing it to GP is just crazy to me and immediately bad optics, but yeah I guess Phil's bosses are starting to squeeze his crew tighter.

I just wonder they finally rip the band aid off and become a full third party publisher at this point, hell maybe this is the start.

I understand corporations want money but what’s the expectation when you employ smaller teams? HiFi Rush seems like it did really good. Why did they get the axe? Redfall was a disaster but they probably could have got a second chance. Isn’t that the Dishonored team? I was really looking forward to The Evil Within 3 and Dishonored 3 built for current gen.

I understand corporations want money but what’s the expectation when you employ smaller teams? HiFi Rush seems like it did really good. Why did they get the axe? Redfall was a disaster but they probably could have got a second chance. Isn’t that the Dishonored team? I was really looking forward to The Evil Within 3 and Dishonored 3 built for current gen.
If I were to guess, MS told Xbox to look at Zenimax and cut a certain amount. The teams that got cut probably haven't hit revenue targets for a while

Even before MS took over.

And they were the easiest targets

If I were to guess, MS told Xbox to look at Zenimax and cut a certain amount. The teams that got cut probably haven't hit revenue targets for a while

Even before MS took over.

And they were the easiest targets
You’re probably right. It still sucks though. I wonder what’s the plan for a lot of the Activision teams. Surely they aren’t going to keep on the COD payroll, right?

You’re probably right. It still sucks though. I wonder what’s the plan for a lot of the Activision teams. Surely they aren’t going to keep on the COD payroll, right?
Microsoft CEO and CFO reading this...

ezgif-2-4de2ddbcf4.gif

I think all Phil's "let team's do what they want to do" stuff is over and done with

I would've kept Tango. The way they were able to pivot from horror to a bright rhythm game showed the talent they had. It's their only Japanese studio and they could have ran with the positive PR that the game had from its high rating.

With MS releasing games on all platforms, I think it would've done well on PS5 and Switch 2.
My guess is that due to inhereting Tango from the Zenimax acquisition, they just didn't really see the value in them. Probably why they shadow dropped the game in the first place.

Not going to pile on MS since the whole industry is taking a hit from the global macro situation but I think the lack of vision/strategy is hurting them more. If Sony was hurting just as bad then I think Media Molecule would've been dropped. London Studios been closed to me is a sign of Sony abandoning VR which is a shame but it is what it is.

Sony's problem with margins is from balooning game development and hardware costs. They've not been able to get the same savings on hardware this far into the generation as they have with the previous consoles and games like Spider-Man 2 needing 7 Million sales to break even is not sustainable.
However, their games have been a success. Spider-Man 2 is already profitable and their plan to have more revenue from service games is off to a great start with HellDivers 2. All this was planned in advance along with the push to PC.

With MS, it's almost as if they got blindsided by the demands of the acquistions and trying to make it work with the GamePass model. Then there's the stalled subscription numbers and decrease in hardware sales. Satya looks like he's taken control of the situation so let's see what he can do.

I don’t think anybody expected Helldivers 2 to take off the way it did. I assume a lot of that had to do with it releasing on PC simultaneously. It makes you wonder if all future mp centric games will launch on PC. I believe the next two (only two that we know of) are FairGames (I know I probably messed that name up :lol:) and Concord. Imagine if ND would have released Factions 2 and it was good :frown:

I don’t think anybody expected Helldivers 2 to take off the way it did. I assume a lot of that had to do with it releasing on PC simultaneously. It makes you wonder if all future mp centric games will launch on PC. I believe the next two (only two that we know of) are FairGames (I know I probably messed that name up :lol:) and Concord. Imagine if ND would have released Factions 2 and it was good :frown:

Herman Hulst said all live service games will launch day 1 on PC couple years ago.

Good thing they did as PC definitely played a massive part in the game's success.

I think being pissed off at Microsoft about this is good.

I think console warring this situation is dumb.

Just need MS to stabilize their gaming division.

Competition is GOODT!

The last thing we need again is Sony on their arrogant bull****. :smh:

Gamepass subscription stagnating should come as no surprise. Phil Spencer said that he wants Gamepass to be the “Netflix for video games.” The problem here is that many, many, many more people watch movies and shows than play video games which is a niche activity. This was bound to happen.

The top multiplayer shooters are all live service though. Nothing wrong with that, you just have to do it right.

Skill based combat in FF7 rebirth is actually a challenge. There’s some fights I legit can’t beat unless I grind or get better gear/materia that can combat some of these status ailments. Also think it’s kind of dumb that you have to fill the ATB meter to use spells or items, you’re basically forced to be aggressive even if you need to heal yourself. I find myself dying because I’m low health but need to the fill the bar so I’m forced to go on the offensive when I shouldn’t be. It’s a weird balance.

Back
Top Bottom