The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | Wukong is AVAILABLE NOW.

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s one developer vs a publisher and owner of like 20 studios. It’s night and day difference. If Sony were to buy EA or something of that nature that would be equivalent.
If people wanted to argue that regulators would take issue with Xbox's size, from making a move to become #3, then the #2 person is allowed to drop billions for a thousand-person studio helps Xbox's argument that the won't be a monopoly in the space.

Unless someone can show size results in monopolistic power in this case, then there isn't much of a night and day difference in practice.

Sony outchea saying they are gonna make more acquisitions too.

I didn't see the economic argument against MS before this, now, Sony is just helping the arguments of people that said the MS/AB deal should go through

Like the DOJ is gonna argue that they can't let MS get bigger in the gaming space while they allow Sony to get bigger? Doesn't make sense to me

Last edited:
Second, people can't complain about Xbox buying a publisher to become the #3 biggest company in terms of Revenue in the gaming market, when the current #2 is dropping billions

OW! My eyes!

Oh, sorry, but my eyes roll back so far at this spin it's physically painful.

Anyway, what were we talking about?

Square Enix right now

Price Just GIF - Price Just Went - Discover & Share GIFs

Pretty pathetic state of the industry where Sony has to buy a company to keep games on all platforms while MS wants to just buy up all 3rd parties for exclusivity to sell gamepass. MS knows if they don’t lock down must plays then the ability to maintain financial stability of gamepass won’t work. Games are only going to cost more and more to make.

I think we should expect to see a version of Gamepass on Playstation in the future. I am certainly not the first to come to this conclusion, but it makes sense.

To play Devil's Advocate, Sony could have kept Insomniac multi-platform but chose not to. And for all we know the sale of Bungie hinged on staying multiplatform.

:lol: Its the other way around. Been like that for a while. even mlb had to step in to make the show multiplat

Thats not the best example. The MLB originally granted the rights to SDS knowing it was a Sony 1st party. Why would a 1st party studio actively pursue a multiplatform agreement? And if the games had been subpar, do you think anyone would have cared to see the same relationship continue?

The MLB could also have granted the rights to other studios during the negotiation in 2019/20 but chose to stick with San Diego Studios.

What is happening :lol:
I keep saying this gen is going to be exciting.

Well, Sony always needed an FPS studio and now they have it and 3.6 Billion in this climate is fair to me.
It's going to take a while for that Firewalk Studios game to come out

When they said the games will continue to be multiplatform, is it day and date with PC or was Xbox specifically mentioned?

I also won't mind a TV show or movie with the Destiny IP. I get some Mandalorian vibes with someo of the designs.

Thats not the best example. The MLB originally granted the rights to SDS knowing it was a Sony 1st party. Why would a 1st party studio actively pursue a multiplatform agreement? And if the games had been subpar, do you think anyone would have cared to see the same relationship continue?

The MLB could also have granted the rights to other studios during the negotiation in 2019/20 but chose to stick with San Diego Studios.
I could be wrong but from what remember mlb pushed for sony to go multi plat with the show as part of the negotiations

I think we should expect to see a version of Gamepass on Playstation in the future. I am certainly not the first to come to this conclusion, but it makes sense.

To play Devil's Advocate, Sony could have kept Insomniac multi-platform but chose not to. And for all we know the sale of Bungie hinged on staying multiplatform.

They better do something because what they got on PS+ is embarrassing

Oh you're absolutely right about that.

All I am saying is that they pushed an existing 1st party franchise to go multiplatform, which SDS (and to a greater extent, Sony) agreed to. When the rights were initially acquired, the MLB had to be aware that a 1st party studio is only going to make games for that platform. They made that franchise into one of the best annualized sports, MLB saw value in moving away from console exclusivity and wanted it multiplatform. The deal struck is pretty unique.

I understand your overall point that Sony is just as bad at exclusivity as Microsoft and agree. It ebbs and flows who is worse, but it is pretty naive of people to think one or the other cares more about the playerbase/community. I dont think its a coincidence you continually see "well, we didn't want to fracture the community!" said, then quickly followed up by noting that was really the only option possible.

:lol: Its the other way around. Been like that for a while. even mlb had to step in to make the show multiplat
Except the show was always a PS exclusive. MLB forced them to go multiplayer to keep the rights to publish the game. That is about MLB wanting a bigger market share. MS buying up entire publishing divisions for game pass exclusivity is new. The model they are trying to push is a redo of their 2016 dream and their attempt to take market control like Netflix is doing. So I have to disagree.

Back on MLB The Show, I never played MLB games but feedback seemed like Sony had the magic with making a proper game. Giving the rights to another non-Sony studio doesn’t mean they get to use Sony’s work. They get the license. That’s it. It would have to be a ground up development and most likely turn out like trash. It’s a win win Sony gets to keep printing money and MLB gets to print more money.

Last edited:
damn we may see halo on the playstation, thought I would never say those words.

bungie made xbox what it is today and somehow xbox let that one slip saying it cost to much?! M$ owes Bungie!! Which probably made this deal even easier for Bungie to go with Sony.

I wonder how much money halo made for xbox?

either way we all win

damn we may see halo on the playstation, thought I would never say those words.

bungie made xbox what it is today and somehow xbox let that one slip saying it cost to much?! M$ owes Bungie!! Which probably made this deal even easier for Bungie to go with Sony.

I wonder how much money halo made for xbox?

either way we all win
Microsoft owns halo. Bungie hasn’t made a halo game since reach.

Back
Top Bottom