The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | Wukong is AVAILABLE NOW.

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never played Skate but for me the nostalgia of thps wore pretty quickly when I revisited it. As someone who once upon a time had everything unlocked and stats maxed out on Dreamcast and PS2 versions, I just didn’t really care to go through the grind again (no pun) and perform the tasks in the career mode.

To me its like racing games. I like sim racers (GT), but I also like arcade racers (Need for Speed).

Skate and THPS both have great gameplay styles, just different.

what are you even talking about? Tegra X1 came out the same year the Nvidia Shield was released in 2015, same as the Switch. the so-called old Tegra you were talking about that was released was the Tegra 4 on the Shield Portable. after that, there was the K1 which was used on other 3rd party android gaming devices. so you got your assumptions wrong. it is not old but new although under-powered. the customized X1 chip used on the Switch has nothing to do with portability, cooling nor power but rather as I had suspected even before has something to do with cost=cutting and maximizing profit. Nintendo could have used a much better battery capacity to offset the battery consumption of the device. they already ported games that have less development or fewer visual fidelity which can save them more money.

it depends really on how modern consoles are going to be made in the future. as far as 2013 consoles go, compare the size of the PS4 to that of the Steam Deck. also, you are forgetting about cloud gaming which is a game changer for home consoles and portable console gaming. you can have an underpowered portable gaming console perform a visually striking game efficiently thru the cloud.

I'll possibly get a Steam Deck that I'll use for playing and stream or remote play thru my Gaming PC. I used to stream playing laptop to laptop before and the visuals and performance were incredible when I first tried it.

We're saying the same thing :lol:
Switch came out in 2017 so it was using a chip that came out in 2015. In 2017 Nvidia already had desktop GPUs on Pascal architecture while the Tegra X1 was using the old Maxwell architecture.
So the Switch was using an older chip with an older architecture and it was downclocked compared to the Shield TV. People thought the Switch was going to be using the Tegra X2 since Nvidia said the Switch would be using the latest Geforce architecture.

Digital Foundry did a write up about it.

It's using a standard X1 so it should run at the same speeds as a the Shield TV when docked and battery life is not an issue but Nintendo lowered it. Hacked Switches could be overclocked to use the full power.

it depends really on how modern consoles are going to be made in the future. as far as 2013 consoles go, compare the size of the PS4 to that of the Steam Deck. also, you are forgetting about cloud gaming which is a game changer for home consoles and portable console gaming. you can have an underpowered portable gaming console perform a visually striking game efficiently thru the cloud.

My point is that a portable coming out now can't be as powerful as current gen consoles. The gap will be too wide that it will affect development of games.
A steam deck can match the PS4 because it's using new tech to match older tech in a portable form factor. A PS5 portable won't be possible for a long time.

Switch came out in 2017 so it was using a chip that came out in 2015. In 2017 Nvidia already had desktop GPUs on Pascal architecture while the Tegra X1 was using the old Maxwell architecture.
So the Switch was using an older chip with an older architecture and it was downclocked compared to the Shield TV. People thought the Switch was going to be using the Tegra X2 since Nvidia said the Switch would be using the latest Geforce architecture.

It's using a standard X1 so it should run at the same speeds as a the Shield TV when docked and battery life is not an issue but Nintendo lowered it. Hacked Switches could be overclocked to use the full power.

My point is that a portable coming out now can't be as powerful as current gen consoles. The gap will be too wide that it will affect development of games.
A steam deck can match the PS4 because it's using new tech to match older tech in a portable form factor. A PS5 portable won't be possible for a long time.

here is the thing, the X2's application wasn't made for gaming, it was made for automotives. reason enough why the recent refreshed Shield and Switch v2 and OLED got an updated X1+ hardware in 2019. so the only available gaming hardware was the X1 when the Switch was made. they are not old just because they are under-powered. you are saying that they could have used the X2 chip, well those are rumors. it's the same thing when people were saying that the updated Shield could have used the X2 the same time those rumors of the Switch coming out with the leaks. it's not like the Switch went the Wii U treatment which pretty much used an old architecture with boost clocks. you can argue all day what available SoC is for portable gaming application, if you can find one, you are welcome to share.

Been using Remote Play on PS5 (living room) to my M1 MacBook Air (bedroom) lately and it works pretty damn good. Every know and then I got a FPS flair up, but for the most part it works well. The lag is almost non existent, then again I'm not far from my living room/WIFI, still didn't think it would be this good, almost 1:1 ratio. I got a gaming monitor so been itching to use it for this instead of just daily work. Only thing I can't get to work is the rumble on the Dual Shock 4, might just use the Dual Sense controller instead next time.

I dont think ill be gaming from my living room for awhile, prefer my desk setup *kanye shrug*

I've tried the streaming thing every gen since ps3

It's just a novelty

I'd just rather take my ps6 with me on the go, I'm fine paying for two consoles, one powerful, one one portable

I’m good on the portable console. Steam Deck is cool but if it’s weak like my Switch, I’m good. That portable + 15FPs got old real quick :lol:

I've tried the streaming thing every gen since ps3

It's just a novelty

I'd just rather take my ps6 with me on the go, I'm fine paying for two consoles, one powerful, one one portable
I don't believe it's a novelty other than it hasn't reached that level of refinement yet. I'm sure there is a market for it. they just need proper promotions and a longterm commitment for it's continuing development. Stadia would have been nice but really needs some support like any other new venture. if I'm going to be asked what's a novelty for me? it's 3D VR gaming.

Last edited:
I think streaming has its place. In countries where consoles are expensive, it's a way for people to play since everyone has a phone. I know Microsoft is targeting India hard for Xcloud.
For most of us in this thread who are enthusiasts, we don't need streaming at all. I think it's a necessity for some regions on the other hand.

As for handhelds, I think only Nintendo is truly winning in that space with the hybrid approach but Steamdeck will have its place too even though I still think it will be relatively niche.
It has a lot going for it though. I think it will be the intro to PC gaming for some which is a good thing for Valve.

I'm glad Sony went the VR route as their secondary platform. It has the most potential IMO as the tech improves and is a massive step in gaming.

here is the thing, the X2's application wasn't made for gaming, it was made for automotives. reason enough why the recent refreshed Shield and Switch v2 and OLED got an updated X1+ hardware in 2019. so the only available gaming hardware was the X1 when the Switch was made. they are not old just because they are under-powered. you are saying that they could have used the X2 chip, well those are rumors. it's the same thing when people were saying that the updated Shield could have used the X2 the same time those rumors of the Switch coming out with the leaks. it's not like the Switch went the Wii U treatment which pretty much used an old architecture with boost clocks. you can argue all day what available SoC is for portable gaming application, if you can find one, you are welcome to share.

I didn't say they could've used the X2. The X2 wasn't out at the time so it was speculation back in 2016 because Nvidia said the switch will be using their latest architecture but it didn't.

1655889461471.png

The Tegra X1 being the only available SoC at the time doesn't stop the fact that it's older tech. Same way PS4 and XB1 were using older tech with their Jaguar CPU's even though it was current. That CPU was made for things like Chromebooks and were weaker than the desktop CPU's
Contrast that to now where the PS5 got the desktop level CPU/GPU with the latest architecture.

This is pretty incorrect actually. The PS5's power is essentially equivalent to a 2080. It's more than possible to make a portable as powerful if not more powerful than that RIGHT NOW. It just wouldn't be cost effective. Not to mention the heat factor.

This is pretty incorrect actually. The PS5's power is essentially equivalent to a 2080. It's more than possible to make a portable as powerful if not more powerful than that RIGHT NOW. It just wouldn't be cost effective. Not to mention the heat factor.
with the way things are going with the desktop/console GPUs, that would be unlikely. it would depend on the customization of the mobile chips to make that happen. but as you say, right now atleast, it is not yet cost-effective. however, with the rate of development of microchips nowadays, the wait couldn't be any longer. it would depend on the marketability and demand for it that such development would get fast-tracked. anyways, both home console and portable gaming can co-exist. so one would need a higher spec while the other used for power-efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom