The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | Wukong is AVAILABLE NOW.

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1666360467436.png

Youd have to go back to XIV for the last time they actually showed any sign of innovation, IMO. And to be honest, XII might be really the last game that I really felt showed real advancement in gameplay.

JRPG used to encompass a genre. I honestly feel like the only tie this game has is that it was developed by a Japanese developer. All other commonalities have been stripped.

As you said, the VII Remake was... passable. But XVI looks much more extreme in terms of the over-the-top button mashing.

Ive said it before, but I think this series has passed me by. Which is fine, just sad. for me. I'll hold out hope for the I-VI remakes coming to PS5 and let a new generation enjoy this.

Strangers in Paradise was the first FF game I didnt preorder or buy at release, and this will be the second.

Don't you classify Strangers in Paradise as a spin-off? Like a Dissidia or Type-0?

I would say the FFVII Re struck the balance right in terms of innovating a party based battle system for a JRPG.
You're right in that FFXVI does sound very hack and slash on paper. I'm expecting backlash if they strip too much from it and it becomes more of a button masher than actual strategy.

I've always had the idea that the goal for FF is to be like the showcase/flagship title for JRPGs. Best graphics, great soundtrack, Innovative gameplay encased in a world to explore with your party. I've never had an issue with them going the action route as it always made sense to me but I can see the other side.

I'm not pre-ordering since my time is limited but FFXV getting a bunch of patches after launch soured me :lol:
I got the plat before they changed the whole of chapter 13 :smh:

Stock situation must be getting better. No.1 in the UK too for September

TLOU Part 1 did well. Let's see if the show gives it another boost.

FIFA over NBA??

Horizon has legs too. Good to see.

Last edited:
spiderjericho spiderjericho this video details some of the changes made for the RE4 remake.

They included BoTW weapon mechanics lol.

Sounds dope. I always felt the OG was perfect.

I’ve seen clamors for part one or Code Veronica to get the same treatment.

I still haven’t played any of the remakes. Wild is folks probably want them to remake 5 and 6 too because of the coop gameplay and zany stories.

Don't you classify Strangers in Paradise as a spin-off? Like a Dissidia or Type-0?

I would say the FFVII Re struck the balance right in terms of innovating a party based battle system for a JRPG.
You're right in that FFXVI does sound very hack and slash on paper. I'm expecting backlash if they strip too much from it and it becomes more of a button masher than actual strategy.

I've always had the idea that the goal for FF is to be like the showcase/flagship title for JRPGs. Best graphics, great soundtrack, Innovative gameplay encased in a world to explore with your party. I've never had an issue with them going the action route as it always made sense to me but I can see the other side.

I'm not pre-ordering since my time is limited but FFXV getting a bunch of patches after launch soured me :lol:
I got the plat before they changed the whole of chapter 13 :smh:

Oh Strangers is definitely a spin-off, and because of that I was holding out they had used that as the excuse to try the new combat systems. From the time I was 16-17 I have preordered every FF and FF spin-off, but Strangers was the first one I skipped.

I did the same thing with XV.; plat'ing it before a patch. And the issues actually made me skip a good chunk of the DLC. Honestly, Dragon Quest XI probably hit way more of the things I enjoy about JRPG's than any of the last few FF's. VII Remake was kind of tethered to having to at least resemble the original in terms of the systems they used. I still preferred to play with the turn-based system.

Sales will always determine where the main series goes, so I can't fault them moving to action if that is what the masses want. To me, it just takes too much away from what the identity of the franchise.

Back
Top Bottom