**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

not a crazy custom but i got the smaller "R" shield patch put onto this rugby jkt for my gf.
fhjsttkjcddkjceukbdjvsykvshjfrisejbfrujdrjvdeukseyolllaqqehvfyijfukjbdty

dope :smokin, i haven't had the patience to find a decent rugby varsity jacket to place these patches i own so I've just been thinking about putting them on blank rugby cardigans i can come across :nerd:

Last edited:
I guess there is no culture in regards to sneakers either because they are just athletic shoes for your feet.

I was going to bring that up too, but just cut it short.

Without going at anybody specifically, the question - just food for thought - I'd ask a lot of the younger dudes who don't get older heads' talk about history and culture with sneaker or Polo the following question:

Is there anything from your generation to which you feel a very strong attachment - something beyond simple, hollow consumerism? If so, how would you feel if it got completely commodified, corporatized, and taken over by "outsiders?"

The average member of this board (by age) can claim no ownership of the dominant topics of conversation and culture of the community. Sneakers, Polo, hip hop - these are all cultural phenomena were originated by and carried to widespread recognition by 70s and early 80s babies. ...For the earliest eras of some of these things, even late 60s babies, perhaps.

I mean, I see 24 year olds complain about what "the sneaker game" has become all the time, and I laugh because 1)it was their generation who killed it, and 2)they played no part in building the "game" in the first place, so how upset can you get over losing something that was never yours in the first place. ...Most of these dudes just say stuff like that so they can sound "OG" and then, at the same time, dismiss actual architects who see through their front as "bitter old men."

Overall, i say appreciate the history of all us this, but look to define your own era as well.

If there was anything that you actually cared about on a deeper cultural level, you too will one day sound like a bitter old man.

Last edited:
Pics speaks volumes...whenever your ready

script spellouts???

Guess I'll post these since I brought it up.

Those are almost baseball shirts. I would like to see color on the shoulders and collar. Also, the sleves look like they're full length and not 3/4. I'll keep hope alive that they're 3/4.

@FrankMatthews are you math_shoes on IG?

Nice contributions fellas....I'm not a LO head persay, but RL is one of my favorite brands, but being from NY im familiar with the Lo Lifes, and the stories back in the day of the Decepticons...appreciate the knowledge dropped from the older cats....keep it coming

sorry but this gif gets me EVERY DAMN TIME
lucky was hype when he posted the original pic too :rofl:

Last edited:
Just to add my 2 cents to a few previous post.
We live in an age of 24/7 accessibility via internet and social media outlets...you can find out about things before they even hit the stores, from sneakers, clothes, leaked albums and discount codes. This era makes life a lot easier for people to obsess and collect.

Now as for me, when I grew up
I lived in the G1 era for many things retroed nowadays ( I remember when I used to pray for Nike to re release certain sneakers I couldn't afford back when I was younger, to say my prayers were answered is an understatement LOL) there's a Jordan release every other week, and a multitudes of various other retros almost every week. But only a handful of people in my generation could afford Jordan's (I remember in my home class, only one person had the Jordan VI, just one and we all hope he would he could keep them longer than a month, perchance someone possible robbed him.)

Now as far as Ralph Lauren goes and old collectors or vintage heads...from my generation
Only a handful, and I mean a handful of people had Polo Ralph Lauren were they could claim they wore Polo down to the socks. Now a couple of things to think about growing up in my generation, during the late 80's to 90's the possibility of getting stabbed, shot, robbed, mugged, jumped was an everyday occurrence in NYC, so to survive day to day with any (fly gear) on was a miracle in it self. Everything has so much more meaning back then, because if you lived around to tell the story of how you had this or that it was a blessing. I've watch people in broad daylight get robbed for coats, jackets, sneaker, hat...etc everyday, no exaggeration. Plus in regards to exclusive polo, if you wasn't in the know or knew someone in the know, you wasn't getting exclusive items. I swear it was like an insiders club. There was no Instagram, FB, no NT haha....I always say this generation is blessed, because everyday items, could get you killed in my day. The culture of fashion has always existed and will continue to do so, it's an expressive art form...sometimes it is, but it's never "just clothes"

hey mane, sorry about that the celebs wearing heat thread, you know i love yur contributions so i know when i saw those k west contribrutions (and for a lot of the contributions in that thread) it was no hard feelings, sometimes i run through that thread highly intoxicated and this time i just want to show you that respect
embarassed.gif
<3 (my bad that shy emoticon is kinda my signature)
no worries..

Top row is an easy pass. That USA looks like the Olympics from 2012? And other seasons to boot.

The middle row has my interest. Similar cw's from the past but if they are felt stitched letters I'm all over it. And yeah that NY one is a must.

Baseball henleys are cool but will have to see them in person. Wonder what the quality will be like, sheer and form fitting like the real deal?

Last edited:
Since some seem to be on the subject I wanted to add my 2¢. I'm 27 and as far as clothes go the 80s and early 90s were before my time. I am not from NYC and was not a part of the Lo culture. For me RL is still more than just clothes. Fashion has always been important to me and RL is a brand that I gravitated towards early. Unfortunately it was something my parents would never buy me and was something I could only afford here and there through high school and college. I've also hopped on other tends and brands along the way, most of which have already been mentioned. But I've always come back to RL. It's always been a classic style that's both conservative and fashion forward at the same time.

I'm at the point now where I purchase RL almost exclusively. It's a one stop shop for clothes I can wear at the office or casually. I have gotten to the point where I can trust the quality and the fit (mostly). I can also afford it now. Every time I go through my closet it's the RL pieces that I keep and other brands that I throw out. I'm the type to grow attachments to my clothes and consider them investments. I don't want to just wear a new season of clothes. When I buy something I want it to last for years both in style and by holding up. My oldest RL peieces are from '04 and are still like new. That's what RL is to me. Timeless style that fits me well and holds up over time. I don't consider myself a Lo head.

With that being said, I have become a big fan of this thread. I like that it's a place I can come to just browse and see rare and vintage pieces, see other people's opinions and learn about the culture. I appreciate the regulars who post here and enjoy the different perspectives. There has been some hate going around and I just wanted to say thank you. I am a younger guy who appreciates what goes on in here. Special thanks to Kush for getting me right for my wedding.

Wow! @ son grave digging Lucky's Calzone's :lol:

Kush, nicely done. PP, great stuff. Frank thanks for the info as always.

Summer Bear Polo's are up (Macy's), Nine different colors, Martini on Heather.

Last edited:
Kush, Polopirate - Nice fits.

The USA looks familiar cause it's from the USA collection they do every year or every other year. I've had that half zip in my drawer for about 4 years now.

A better look at the NY crew as well as some other things from that collection.

Back
Top Bottom