**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

so is RLX done? I hope not. I heard it doesn't sell as well bc the avg consumer doesn't know its Polo cuz there's not the typical Pony logos and stuff on it.

Anyone own a rlx down jacket? Just want someone's input on whether or not It keeps you as warm or warmer than the regular polo bubble jackets.
The one I want is on sale right now and I'm kinda hesitant to pull the trigger because I'm unsure if a large will fit and with polo sport coming back out, idk if i should just wait because I want some sport pieces.

Nice to see Polo Sport back again for the memories, but RLX will always be superior IMO.

The quality of the older RLX functional cold weather items is unmatched by any Ralph Lauren line.

Never cared for Polo Sport either

Someone asked about RLX jackets. I have heard so many stories of a ridiculous amount of feathers coming out of the jackets that it has always deterred me from copping.

That bear though.. :smokin

Never cared for Polo Sport either

Someone asked about RLX jackets. I have heard so many stories of a ridiculous amount of feathers coming out of the jackets that it has always deterred me from copping.

That bear though.. :smokin

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll just hold off then and get what I really want

Let some others chime in first, they can tell you better than myself. I own a decent amount of RLX because I love their pants, just not a coat...

My favorite coat is an RLX down fish tail parka that packs into a small duffle. Light and very warm. No problems wearing it during this NYC winter. I have a camo puffer that does seem to lose a lot of feathers, but I wear it occasionally, wouldn't recommend for every day wear.

so is RLX done? I hope not. I heard it doesn't sell as well bc the avg consumer doesn't know its Polo cuz there's not the typical Pony logos and stuff on it.

Also because their prices are steep. Their logos aren't even embroidered on a lot of their stuff.

I love RLX from a design standpoint, and their golf line is great.  But in recent years, their quality hasn't matched the price point.  I have had numerous items get tears, stitches come undone, and graphics peel off after only one or two light wears.  And these items are supposed to be luxury active wear, but they just don't hold up which was always disappointing.  Now it looks like its just being dissolved into Polo.

I have a feeling a lot of people who loved the old polo sport will be left disappointed with its rebirth.  From what I gathered, it is not going to be anything like the old label.  And looking those new designs, aside from the logo, it really is completely different.  I'm sure its just easier to market athletic wear under the polo sport name than RLX.

I agree. The RLX items I copped last year looked like I had them for a year after 1 good wear. Those hoodies last year were gods looking, but the quality wasn't there. Pilling after one wear and shedding on whatever you wore underneath it...

Anyone own a rlx down jacket? Just want someone's input on whether or not It keeps you as warm or warmer than the regular polo bubble jackets.
The one I want is on sale right now and I'm kinda hesitant to pull the trigger because I'm unsure if a large will fit and with polo sport coming back out, idk if i should just wait because I want some sport pieces.
if it's the heavy winter down jacket, it don't get much better as far as warmth is concerned. when it's brick out this is my favorite coat, and i don't have a problem with losing feathers. jacket is 2 years old with heavy use.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea when this colorways dropped?

Anyone have any idea when this colorways dropped?

This year, the back is green.

I think that may be the same jacket I'm talking about, except the one I see on the site is the camo one on sale. Not sure if it's a heavy winter down.
http://m.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=43992876&cp=1760781.3351645

The camo jackets are a little thinner than that black one posted. I have both. The black one is pretty dam good, like said above it doesn't get much warmer. There was a similar camo jacket that came out last year with the orange lining, this years is a noticeable downgrade from last year although they both feel thinner than the black one posted. RLX puffers are pretty solid, had a couple for a few years and never had any problems. Now, those thin channel quilted puffers like the one posted above are where the problem lies. Those seem to be pretty cheaply made and I have had problems with the feathers on those.

RLX has some superior quality items, but keep in mind if you are buying $98 hoodies and $190 puffers you are not buying quality, you are buying design and brand. You want quality from RLX it is going to cost you, more so than blue label imo.

You want quality from RLX it is going to cost you, more so than blue label imo.
This. My parka retailed at $798, straight ridiculous, like 4 years ago.

And the camo puffer I have has the orange lining and like I said, warm as hell, but not for everyday use due to its thin material.

Last edited:
This year, the back is green.
The camo jackets are a little thinner than that black one posted. I have both. The black one is pretty dam good, like said above it doesn't get much warmer. There was a similar camo jacket that came out last year with the orange lining, this years is a noticeable downgrade from last year although they both feel thinner than the black one posted. RLX puffers are pretty solid, had a couple for a few years and never had any problems. Now, those thin channel quilted puffers like the one posted above are where the problem lies. Those seem to be pretty cheaply made and I have had problems with the feathers on those.
Keep in mind if you are buying $98 hoodies and $190 puffers you are not buying quality, you are buying design and brand. You want quality from RLX it is going to cost you, more so than blue label imo.

All of this. The best quality item from RLX has always been the Ski Pants. They keep the cold and moisture out and keep the heat in for hours. I always keep a few pair in rotation for severe cold weather.

RLX doesn't do much in the big and tall section except "98.00 dollar" hoodies :tongue:. That being said, the design is what attracted me to the items but I was truly surprised that RL would put their branding on such an item :smh:. The generic 98.00 hoodies have no quality issues imo, but they don't look as good imo. :smokin

Off topic, BUT worth mentioning:
While I am very RL-centric in my wardrobing and shop almost exclusively RL mainly Polo, RRL and some Denim and Supply, the outrageous prices of RRL specifically have pulled my attention away from RL as of late just to see what else is out there. I don't ALWAYS need my denim to be sourced in Japan, and I don't always need my denim to be selvedge. So..... enter J.Crew and GAP.. yes I said it GAP. What?
J.Crew is not such a far stretch of the imagination when thinking high quality and long lasting goods that fit well. They have a slim fit which is nearly identical to RL's, their "fit model" seems to be of the same general build so if you wear a Medium in RL you are likely a Medium in JCrew. Not to mention, JCrew goes the extra mile with collaborations and carefully sourced non-Crew items. They have a relationship with Wallace and Barnes, who makes a mean selection of denim and workwear. They are the only store stateside that I have seen carry Nanamica parkas, they also offer the occasional Chimala piece.
I recently copped their Selvedge Indigo Denim Workshirt ($138 -25% off Pres day sale) and the shirt fits amazing, cut just like a polo workshirt. Find me a selvedge denim workshirt from Polo... you won't. That stuff is put aside for RRL and will cost $280 minimum.

Enter JCrew Factory. They offer the SAME denim workshirt with a slightly lesser quality denim, same exact cut and fit, and of course no selvedge, but for $17 (40% off clearance in store) you cannot help but grab a few.

Oh yea... I did mention GAP didn't I? Indeed I did. Since they have taken on a new Creative Director about 1 year ago (remember the new denim heavy ads with Chalky / Omar) GAP has seemingly gone back to its 1969 roots. Lots of workshirts, lots of denim shirts, great fits. So I took a dive in and bought their "reinforced workshirt" in denim and railroad stripe. Amazing fits. The denim shirt is dark indigo and thick as hell! They recently had a 50% off your whole order event, so I paid about $35 per shirt. Great deal!

Levi's is also worth mentioning since I recently found a selvedge denim western shirt in dark indigo and black for $18 each sitting on the clearance rounder of their outlet shop. (not sure if the image below is the selvedge, but the styling and color are the same)

Oh yea, I think it is also funny that just yesterday I just read this from Kanye West:
“When I say Steve Jobs of the Gap,” he told Style.com, “as I talk to the people at the Gap right now, I’m not talking about a capsule. I’m talking about full Hedi Slimane creative control of the Gap is what I would like to do. And I can say this because it doesn’t conflict with my Adidas contract.”

So yea..... I just wanted to mention these finds and observations and offer food for thought for anyone looking to make their buck go a little farther but still shop brands that work well with their RL-centric collection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom