**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

the only other thing i would add about RRL is that a lot of their pieces are very "costumey". if you go full RRL with certain pieces you look like a train conductor.

Definitely get a feel like your in the 1920-1950's era with some of there pieces, again this is all purposeful for a reason with RRL.

Legend, just keep me in mind on the hides when you start downsizing.
The hooded flag knit is my favorite...it was a Belk exclusive in the southern region. Still kicking myself for passing on it during a business trip.

Great thoughts on the labels guys. I have a healthy.mix of Polo, Purple, and RRL. I don't prefer one label over the other. All I need is quality materials, quality construction, no visible logos, and that unique rugged/lux look. Which ever label this falls under, I'll take it.

I have stayed away from 99% of Black Label, Rugby. D&S, and back then also stayed away from Polo Jeans Co., and 99% of Polo Sport. Not that the pieces were bad, I just have/had a feeling that these brands don't/didn't have the types of collections that would keep them afloat.

Polo Sport had some very nice pieces, I wasn't too sad to see it go thou, it had a good run, as it really encompassed apparel that was sport and outdoorsman driven. Blue label picked up the slack for the sporty apparel for a while, but I think RLX took it up a notch. D&S is tugging at me, but I feel it's just Polo jeans Co. revamped I still have yet to buy anything from that label. Black label is like Purple label sportier cousin from the US

my RRL strictly consists of 4 pairs of jeans. i admire the brand, but for the cost, i stay away from unless they can be had on a deep discount.

i have 1 purple label item.

i got rid of basically all of my polo jeans co. items, since I had only had a handful of things.

no Rugby.

i have 2 D&S henley's that i use for layering and duck camo shorts. These were bought on deep discount.

Everything else I own is Blue label, Polo Sport, etc. which basically covers collections from 1992 - current.

For years 1991 and prior is what I'm trying to build on now. I have no desire to go crazy for since this is not the era of Polo that I was brought into so I play my position, although, I have a pretty solid collection of pieces from these years lol.

I think most of the Polo Sport stuff hasnt aged very well. With the whole colourblocking and big logos type of design, Polo Sport goes hand in hand with the vintage Tommy Hilfiger stuff. Looking back on both brands though I dont really like either of em personally, but I know that stuff really floats alot of peoples boats. I think we all liked that kind of clothing at one point, so I'm not knocking the people who are into it. That type of design definitely has its rightful place in fashion history.

I think most of the Polo Sport stuff hasnt aged very well. With the whole colourblocking and big logos type of design, Polo Sport goes hand in hand with the vintage Tommy Hilfiger stuff. Looking back on both brands though I dont really like either of em personally, but I know that stuff really floats alot of peoples boats. I think we all liked that kind of clothing at one point, so I'm not knocking the people who are into it. That type of design definitely has its rightful place in fashion history.

I agree. As a kid there were only a few Polo Sport items I was into and as an adult not much has changed with time. I mainly dig Blue Label, been getting into RRL, Rugby was a lil too "young" for me when it was out, and D+S is hit or miss but some things are acceptable to have imo.

On another note I did cop some socks today at Macys and Marshalls. To the NT fam follow me on my newly formed IG @Brenforthewin

Polo Sport had some very nice pieces, I wasn't too sad to see it go thou, it had a good run, as it really encompassed apparel that was sport and outdoorsman driven. Blue label picked up the slack for the sporty apparel for a while, but I think RLX took it up a notch. D&S is tugging at me, but I feel it's just Polo jeans Co. revamped I still have yet to buy anything from that label. Black label is like Purple label sportier cousin from the US

I miss the roomy cut of PS pieces. RLX is underrated, including the "RLX" pieces under the PS line.

Overall, I agree, but with a caveat. There's all kind of stuff that was released under the PS line that wasn't really branded as PS. As PS was promoted more and more as its own identity, the pieces began to take more of a sign of the times feel. But, obviously there was plenty of stuff under the PS line that wasn't externally branded as PS, but simply had the tags, from stuff that would eventually become RLX, to classic spell outs, to USA stuff, to some of the Bears. A lot of the PS stuff that still has a following today has a PS tag, but is thought of as something else.

Oh, and it must be said, that young ladies loved them some Polo Sport cologne back in the early/mid-90s.

Last edited:
True bip. Infact I managed to snag one of my favourite knits off of ebay recently (for a good price too), and its a Polo Sport piece. I call it 'The Deliverance' knit haha:

^ This year give in style event is straight buns. No RRL Black Label or Ralph Lauren shoes. I may just end up picking up some slim fit button up shirts for work though.

I miss the roomy cut of PS pieces. RLX is underrated, including the "RLX" pieces under the PS line.
Overall, I agree, but with a caveat. There's all kind of stuff that was released under the PS line that wasn't really branded as PS. As PS was promoted more and more as its own identity, the pieces began to take more of a sign of the times feel. But, obviously there was plenty of stuff under the PS line that wasn't externally branded as PS, but simply had the tags, from stuff that would eventually become RLX, to classic spell outs, to USA stuff, to some of the Bears. A lot of the PS stuff that still has a following today has a PS tag, but is thought of as something else.

Oh, and it must be said, that young ladies loved them some Polo Sport cologne back in the early/mid-90s.

Well said BIP, when the Polo Sport label was introduced in 93 it still carried a lot of blue label ideals, for instance I have a "polo sport" jacket from 93 that was also created under the blue label, only mine had the all black rubber polo sport patch and the blue label has an hi tech patch, also my jacket being all black has RL2000 buttons, go figure. Under the polo sport line included a new tennis, golf...etc lines, the tennis was actually really dope. In retrospect polo sport had a lot of dope pieces, especially my fave the red satin script jacket (so classic). Then there's the Polo Sport Sportsman line which had a lot of great graphics and technical sportsman apparel.

As so here goes my list of top favorite pieces from the polo sport / polo sport sportsman lines, in no particular order

1. Satin Red Polo Script Varsity jacket
2. Navy or White USA fleece Jacket and other USA fleeces or hoodies
3. All print Surfer tee
4. All print Polo sportsman button down (one were the man and the canoe in from and back)
5. The classic flip spell out flag winter hat
6. The flag knit hat (black, red, and green from 97') still mad I lost mine at the mall.
7. 96 yacht sailing line
8. All print ski man button down (I'm guessing 97')

I could go on, but some of y'all will get the point.

The 1% of Polo Sport that I did like included the cologne (which came with the promo duffle) and the Polo Sport Native American themed collections.

This pair of Beacon print wool.boots is my all time favorite Polo Sport Item.

I hope we get something like this from RL soon. They scrapped the last Indian print boot 2 years ago by opting for plaid fabric on the production model.

Last edited:

sounds like you weren't even into Polo, Polo Sport if all you can mention are the color blocking Polo Sport pieces. "Looking back" is all you can do now, because the way you talk about these labels you are learning of them over the internet.

Middy, I have or had all of those mentioned. I wish I had more of the flag knit beanies since I only have the green, but now ninjas want to pay like $200 for a beanie nowadays because they think that's acceptable. no thanks, i'm good. Only a few will know the list of items you mentioned, everyone else will try to google or run to ebay to look for references lmao

I believe Polo Sport was introduced early as '91 but didn't get it's own label until '93. Some stuff were produced under both blue label and polo sport label, it's like RL was confused themselves which label should've been used. Eventually, Polo Sport got branded out as they produced RLX. As RLX evolved, it became essentially the "Polo Sport" but the label was discontinued.

The 1% of Polo Sport that I did like included the cologne (which came with the promo duffle) and the Polo Sport Native American themed collections.

This pair of Beacon print wool.boots is my all time favorite Polo Sport Item.

I hope we get something like this from RL soon. They scrapped the last Indian print boot 2 years ago by opting for plaid fabric on the production model.

Those boots are dope, what yr are they? I can't recall when I saw these...I love the canvas boots especially the olive midtop buckle canvas and of course the RL2000...currently I only have the brown low buckle sportsman boots I sold my light grey version a couple yrs ago...

Last edited:
Those boots are dope, what yr are they? I can't recall when I saw these...
Thanks Muddy. I honestly couldn't tell you the year, but I do know that RL had miles of this wool print. It was used on men's and women's coats, vests, hats, a poncho, and I think there was a wallet too.

Here is the blue label vest

Jay , BIP, or Krash may be able to shed some light.

Last edited:
Middy, I have or had all of those mentioned. I wish I had more of the flag knit beanies since I only have the green, but now ninjas want to pay like $200 for a beanie nowadays because they think that's acceptable. no thanks, i'm good. Only a few will know the list of items you mentioned, everyone else will try to google or run to ebay to look for references lmao

Lol, that hat retailed for $40 and the "polo" flag flip for $50...these items somehow garnered high status more recently...back around 97-2002 a lot of people weren't thinking of these items as classics, I remember the satin script jacket retailed for $300 and it was sitting on rack till it went down to $100 at the Atrium when I copped it, I thought I was so lucky, but a lot of classic now used to just sit around at deep discount, the Lo culture was very limited to those in the know...remember the chambray duck sportsman? I thought it was cool, man they couldn't give those shirts away...they were marked down to like $30 just hanging around. Brands like Iceberg, Avirex, Diesel got more props, but I still held on to Polo even through the drought yrs... I've never owned any Iceberg or Avirex (did have some Diesel, can't front) but I rarely took to trendy gear. Polo Ralph Lauren is an American icon among vast sea of brands, but still the classics and current classics I feel belong to the select few who know the culture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom