THE OFFICIAL SAN JOSE SHARKS SEASON THREAD!! PLAYOFFS VS CHICAGO WCF series 0-1

I never get to chime in anymore,
frown.gif
...Is there a game tomorrow? I'moff 6pm tomorrow,
smokin.gif
!

Warriors look much better without Jackson. They need George out there for the regular season though.

Looking good?

Laughable.

They grinded a game out against reserves, I know you have tickets to sell, but let's be a bit more un-biased.

This team is hot garbage. We'll ruin AR but he'll turn into a All Star elsewhere. Curry will show he's capable, but he'll prove it somewhereelse.

Beans forgot that he has hands and continues to play for one of the only teams that may be worse than the Ws...Lativa.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Looking good?

Laughable.

They grinded a game out against reserves, I know you have tickets to sell, but let's be a bit more un-biased.

This team is hot garbage. We'll ruin AR but he'll turn into a All Star elsewhere. Curry will show he's capable, but he'll prove it somewhere else.

Beans forgot that he has hands and continues to play for one of the only teams that may be worse than the Ws...Lativa.

Shut up.

Originally Posted by JumpmanJordanAddict89

Looking good?

Laughable.

This team is hot garbage. We'll ruin AR but he'll turn into a All Star elsewhere. Curry will show he's capable, but he'll prove it somewhere else.

Shut up.
Original. Truth hurt?

laugh.gif

Looking good?

Laughable.

Shut up.
Original. Truth hurt?

laugh.gif

No it the truth doesn't hurt. I'm just positive and u come in here and just post just to get some attention.
smh.gif

Looking good?

Laughable.

Shut up.
Original. Truth hurt?

laugh.gif

No it the truth doesn't hurt. I'm just positive and u come in here and just post just to get some attention.
smh.gif

Son, you're mistaken. I'm arguably one of the most POSITIVE W's fans around, check my posts from last season and even most of this season. Simplyput, this franchise is going no where and being run into the ground. If you can't see that, you're blind. If Jackson didn't/doesn't act out andcause distraction, I truly feel we could be under the radar. But he winds up getting suspended in the PRESEASON?! That doesn't bode well for when the realgames kick in and he becomes a larger than life cancer.

Looking good?

Laughable.

Shut up.
LazyJ has some truth, but I think the only thing I don't agree with is "ruining AR4".

We're a young talented team, but we're not "good", we're decent in my highest opinion.

I have a wait and see attitude on AR to be honest...

We have him for what, 2-3 years? His development will be contingent on if Nellie remains after his contract year (lol @ him offering to "help" forfree).

I think the potential for AR is great, but I would NOT be surprised if he flourished elsewhere. We're an inept organization being ran with no realdirection. Remember how Webber worked out for the Bullets and Kings.

It was actually good to see the W's on TV and playing against the Suns. Is it me or a lot of players this preseason are playing more than usual? Anyway, Idon't really have high expectations for the W's other than Randolph and Morrow. With the management still intact along with SJax...The W's willprobably be in the same position as they have been the past couple years as a franchise. So we'll see what happens when the season starts. Randolph lookslike he's ready to prove this year and seems to have matured greatly.

And SMH at the Devean George support.

Im all for trading Jackson.How the hell do u get 5 fouls and a technical in the first ten minutes of a preseason game?! that's ridiculous. But my questionis, if we do trade, what team would actually want him and who can we get in return?

Originally Posted by gswarriorz

Im all for trading Jackson.How the hell do u get 5 fouls and a technical in the first ten minutes of a preseason game?! that's ridiculous. But my question is, if we do trade, what team would actually want him and who can we get in return?
a team that is missing THAT piece to a title. Jackson will play VERY well as a 3rd or 4th option on a good team. Ill take any cap relief for him

[h2]Warriors to talk to Jackson Tuesday[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Golden State Warriors will attempt to work unhappy forward Stephen Jackson back into their team fold starting Tuesday, when the Warriors are scheduled to hold their first home practice following four straight preseason games on the road. Jackson is expected to meet with Warriors general manager Larry Riley and coach Don Nelson before that practice, after missing the last two of those exhibition games through a team-imposed suspension for a sideline blowup with Nelson on Friday night in Los Angeles that was deemed "conduct detrimental" to the club.

378.jpg

Jackson
Reached Sunday by ESPN.com, Nelson said he is still unwilling to go into detail about the exchange and would not expound on his plans for Jackson beyond confirming Tuesday's planned sitdown. "We will talk," Nelson said. The Warriors, according to NBA front-office sources, remain open to granting Jackson's wish to be traded as long as they can find a palatable deal, which is what Nelson told local reporters at the Warriors' annual media day two weeks ago. Yet it appears unlikely that the latest blowup with Jackson -- who initially revealed his wish to be moved to Cleveland, New York or one of the three Texas teams at a Dime Magazine party in late August -- will push Golden State to pursue a trade more aggressively, because it is unlikely such an approach would speed the process. Sources say that the Warriors have indeed made and fielded numerous trade calls regarding Jackson since his desire to leave was made public, but no deal appears close. Golden State knows that the main stumbling block to a trade won't change even if it ultimately decides that the 31-year-old can't be reconnected with his teammates after such a tumultuous start to the season and that he must be moved. That stumbling block: Jackson's three-year, $27.8 million contract extension, which doesn't even kick in until the 2010-11 season, will likely continue to make it difficult for the Warriors to find a trade partner in the current NBA marketplace. Jackson has championship experience after helping the San Antonio Spurs win their second of four titles in 2003 and last season ranked alongside LeBron James, Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade in the exclusive club of players to average at least 20 points, six assists and five rebounds per game. Yet the reality persists that very few teams in this economy are open to taking on players in their 30s with multiple years remaining on their contracts. The Contra Costa Times reported late last week that the Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers had discussed a trade headlined by Jackson and Cavs center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, who possesses an attractive expiring contract that pays $11.5 million this season. But sources told ESPN.com that the talks were roughly a month old and unlikely to lead to a deal, with one source characterizing the discussions as "nothing substantive." Attempts to reach Jackson over the weekend were unsuccessful. His clash with Nelson occurred Friday night after Jackson went to the bench having racked up five fouls and a technical foul in just over nine minutes of the first quarter of Golden State's road win over the Los Angeles Lakers. Jackson was hit Saturday with a two-game suspension that kept him out of the Warriors' outdoor game Saturday night against Phoenix in Indian Wells, Calif., and will also hold him out of Monday's visit to Staples Center for Golden State's game against the Los Angeles Clippers. The suspension without pay will cost him $139,090, which takes Jackson's financial losses for the season to nearly $165,000 after factoring in a $25,000 fine he received from the NBA for publicly requesting a trade.

if the front office knows what's best for the team (which they don't), they should ship out jack for any deal they can get. at this point, i don'tthink we can get much/any value for the bastard at all. obviously it'd be ideal to get expiring contracts in return but that's not gonna happen.i'm just concerned with the impact jackson will have on this team if he continues to be apart of it so i'm perfectly fine with shipping him out foranything.

if the front office knew what was best for them, they woulda never re-signed jackson to such a ridiculous deal in the first place.

[h2]Conduct Detrimental: The Should-Be-Linked Fates of Stephen Jackson and Robert Rowell[/h2]
Posted by Adam Lauridsen on October 12th, 2009 at 1:57 am

Suspending Stephen Jackson? A start. Firing Robert Rowell for creating this mess? Now that would be progress.

Stephen Jackson's rapid-foul, foul-mouthed tantrum on Friday shouldn't have come as a shock to anyone. Jackson has been talking for a month about his strong desire not to play for the Warriors - he merely took matters into his own hands by giving the Warriors no choice but to suspend him. The suspension was a no brainer, but a good start. Jackson has been above the law, living by his own Nelson-endorsed double standard, for far too long. With a young, impressionable team still looking to Jackson as a leader, the team needed to send a message loud and clear not to Jackson, but to the rest of the squad, that blatant disdain for the game, the coaching staff, and your teammates won't be tolerated.

When the Warriors meet with Jackson Tuesday, my guess is he'll be given the option to return to the team and conduct himself in a professional manner - or simply sit around and wait to be traded. Jackson has now twice created a major distraction when the focus should be on preparing for the season, so I'd have no problem simply telling him to stay away. Still, in terms of preserving whatever trade value he may have left and simply saving face, I expect the team to give Jackson yet another shot. They'll likely regret it.

At this stage, the goal in any Jackson deal should be simply erasing the mistake. That means getting an expiring deal for Jackson, so it's as if his contract extension never happened. If the Warriors can manage that, they'll still be worse off due to the disruption Jackson has created, but they will have stopped the bleeding. Of course, moving Jackson only solves half the problem. Unlike many of the Warriors' front-office dealings that can't be pinned to a single individual (Mullin, Nelson, Riley?), the Jackson deal is solely the responsibility of Robert Rowell. Despite his eagerness to talk up his role last year when he was Jackson's new best friend, Rowell has been silent since Jackson's public comments on his discontent - including the wonderful admission that his no-agent buddy-buddy dealings with Rowell were "just business."

Things didn't have to be this way with Jackson. Don Nelson didn't need to give him the freedom to play recklessly without consequence, and Robert Rowell didn't need to reward him for his undisciplined erratic performances by giving him an unnecessary and unwise extension. I have no expectation that Cohan will fire Nelson - he'd cost too much and still manages to put bodies into arena seats - but dismissing Rowell wouldn't cost as much and would do more to restore hard-core fan goodwill than anything since the 07 trip to the playoffs. If the Warriors simply pretend that Jackson is a self-contained problem, they're deluding themselves. They'll likely (quietly) blame Jackson's behavior on his volatile personality - but that's the same personality Rowell lauded when he inked the extension. If Jackson's now a problem that needs to be suspended or traded, then the man that so miserably failed in assessing his character and future with the team must be shown the door with him.

The real tragedy in the Jackson mess is that it's sucking attention away from some otherwise great play by the Warriors that'll actually be here past a few weeks or months. I missed the second half of Friday's win against the Lakers, but in the 6 plus quarters I did manage to catch over the weekend the Warriors showed me quite a few things I've missed for far too long:
  • With Jackson off the floor, the ball movement has dramatically improved. There are still times when Ellis misses wide-open teammates and Curry will have his share of rookie mistakes, but the Warriors simply play more like a team without Jackson. The fourth quarter against the Suns on Saturday provided a perfect example, with Morrow once again having a huge quarter thanks to teammates getting him good looks. Randolph and Azubuike have also benefited from increased touches. Ellis doesn't have the natural vision of Curry, but it's clear he's also making an effort to share the ball. Whether by plan or accident, the Warriors finally seem to be getting their more efficient scorers more shots at the basket. There will be growing pains (Curry and Randolph's jumpers, in particular), but the team-focused approach will pay dividends (and is infinitely better to watch even when the shots aren't falling).
  • Our youngsters are working on defense. Randolph, Morrow, and Curry may not always stop their men, but they're at least giving 100% effort. And over the last two games, the little bursts of effort have added up to some nice defensive stops. Anthony Randolph runs back to challenge every fast break. Anthony Morrow puts a hand up on every outside shot. And Stephen Curry won infinite respect from me when he started stepping up into the lane during the Suns' semi-controlled breaks to cut off penetration to the basket (something that drove me crazy about our backcourt last year). Even Ellis seems to be getting into the mix, working harder around screens and using his quick feet - instead of his quick hands - to try to make defensive stops. There's an audible difference, with everyone talking to each other about screens and switches in a way I didn't hear last year. Again, it's a work in progress, but it's the first time since late 07 I've seen tangible signs of a team-wide commitment to defense. Stephen Jackson's five first quarter fouls were a pretty good parody of the Warriors' usual defense - here's hoping the actual play that followed by the rest of the team is indicative of the future.
  • Randolph, Morrow, and Curry can lead this team. The Warriors don't have a single player capable of leading the squad. Biedrins and Turiaf are great steadying influences, but too much at the periphery of Nelson's plans to have a major on-the-court impact. The trio of Randolph, Morrow, and Curry, however, will all hopefully see major minutes this year and as a trio provide a great blend of leadership skills. Randolph gives the team the relentless, full-tilt attitude it lost over too many seasons of settling for losing. Almost all of Randolph's mistakes come from trying to do too much - and that's a very pleasant change. Randolph's fire is moderated by Morrow's cool composure. On Saturday, for the second time this preseason, Morrow lit up an opponent in the fourth quarter to put the game out of reach. The Warriors lacked a steady fourth-quarter option last year - but they may have finally found it in Morrow's beautiful jumper. Finally, although it's still early, Curry's unselfishness and intelligence running the team should help keep Randolph's wild streak in check and save Morrow from being forgotten, as he often was in last year's system. Curry is the first Warrior I've seen since Davis (on his good days) who makes his teammates better. He'll have his rookie struggles, but I've been converted over the past four games from skeptic to cautious optimist that he can be our future point guard.
Ultimately, the real story from the preseason so far isn't Jackson's tantrums or management's too little, too late damage control - it's the team that's forging an identity without Jackson and in the midst of his distractions. For that team to have a fighting chance, however, Jackson and Rowell can't be moved out of the way soon enough.

[h1]For Warriors, turmoil starts with the boss[/h1]
With such imperfection, such an uneven past for Stephen Jackson(notes), the twisted sensibilities of his Golden State Warriors owner should've suggested Chris Cohan would develop a deep affection for his star. He showered Jax with a needless contract extension of $28 million, a captainship and ultimately the organizational manual on manipulation and petulance.

The worst owner in the NBA is seldom seen or heard, preferring to let a slobbering run of incompetence shape the face of his legacy. From front-office folly to combustible stars, Cohan has lorded over one embarrassing episode after another in his 15-year Donald Sterling-esque run as majority owner.

Captain Jack watched franchise legend and general manager Chris Mullin get pushed out of his job, and witnessed coach Don Nelson get his buddy Larry Riley the office. Jackson watched Nelson take a rich contract extension and practically give up coaching a season ago, turning over most duties to his assistants.

Mostly, Jackson watched the way it worked with the Warriors. He's no dummy. The Machiavellians have always reigned here, always prospered. He just learned the way it works, and he's making it work for him with an exit strategy of belligerence.

Make no mistake: Management will make Jack the boogeyman now because there's always a bad guy here. From Chris Webber(notes) to Latrell Sprewell, Mullin to P.J. Carlesimo, Baron Davis(notes) to Jackson, there's always a fall guy for Cohan and his meddling, overmatched president, Bobby Rowell. Jackson isn't innocent, but he sure beat the Warriors. Jax wants out and he'll make life hell for the Warriors until he gets his wish.

Jackson flipped on Friday night in Los Angeles when Nellie let him stay on the floor to pick up five fouls and a technical inside of 10 minutes. Jax was at wit's end when he started clinging close to Kobe Bryant(notes). One source on the court says Kobe addressed Jax as "Young Fella," and for some odd reason that pushed Jackson over the edge. Soon, Jackson was cursing Nellie and storming to the locker room on his way to a two-game preseason suspension.

The residue of a historic season two years ago - the biggest upset in NBA playoff history - has washed away. Mullin was the executive responsible for returning the Warriors to the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, and his reward was getting bum-rushed by Rowell and Nelson, whom he hired off his hammock in Maui.

Jackson is the story with Golden State now, but he isn't the issue.

Before the Warriors turn this franchise over to a marvelous rookie guard, Stephen Curry(notes), and a promising 7-footer, Anthony Randolph(notes), Cohan should stop sputtering with overtures to sell the Warriors and do everyone a favor: Sell now.

The bid of Oracle CEO Larry Ellison has been out there, but details of another intriguing offer to buy the Warriors has emerged, several sources told Yahoo! Sports. There is a well-moneyed and politically connected Bay Area group that has approached Cohan about purchasing the team and building a privately funded arena in downtown San Francisco. What's more, the group has already had third parties call several well-respected NBA front-office executives about running the team.

As for Ellison, sources say he knows what the Warriors are worth in his mind and he isn't inclined to raise the offer Cohan has already rejected. The Warriors and NBA deny the team is for sale, but as one official with knowledge of the bids says, while Cohan "can go hot and cold," the San Jose Mercury News' reports over the summer were accurate. It's just a matter of time until he sells.

For everyone's sake, the sooner, the better. The Warriors are endemic of a bigger problem in the NBA: bad ownership draining good markets. The Bay Area has been so loyal to that lousy basketball team. When they finally ended a run of 12 seasons without playoff basketball in 2007, Oracle Arena delivered an unparalleled atmosphere. Now, the Warriors are left with Nellie, a great coach, but ill-suited so late in life for such a young team. Those Warriors were a remarkable story, an unforgettable testament to Nellie's small-ball acumen, but were reflective of the owner's tenure: never built to last.

Cohan and Rowell have this habit of falling into love with the wrong coaches and players, and Nellie should've returned to Hawaii once they broke up this team and decided to go young. Golden State is where great young talent comes to stagnate. As Stephen Jackson pushes his way out now, the cycle of rising young talent will take over another Warriors lottery team. Once and for all, the owner should spare everyone the inevitable fate of his basketball incompetence.

The suitors are lining up for this franchise, and it's time: Sell the Warriors, Cohan. Sell them now.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Back
Top Bottom