-The Official Sneaker Wiki Thread- (Post interesting facts/backstories/design inspiration)

Jordan played in the 'space jams' in an Orlando game.

michael-jordan-nike-space-jam-11-sample-45-new1.jpg

im sitting here wondering why i havent picked up any 180's yet
ive always liked em but for some reason never picked up a pair
now im feeling like i NEED a pair

To my knowledge, finishline still has a FSR last time I checked of the concord 180. There should be a $20 off $100 which makes it $80 shipped.

I believe they are the ones that MJ wore during some photoshopts and whatnot during the 1992 Olympics.

Anybody know the first shoe to have zoom in it? Had to be nike basketball I would assume. Zoom is the only thing I'll play in.

I remember reason somewhere that the nike show technology took like 20 years to make or something. And that they developed it in the late 1980s

very nice thread OP!! i will try contribute some of things related to nike

Air Force 1
-still holding the record for most expensive retail price nike sneakers for nike lux anaconda and crocodile that made in Italy with premium genuine leather. retail at US$2000 :x but bunch of them didn't sell out and finally nike have to mark down until 50% off
- pivot point traction is one of the characteristic in AF1 designed by bruce kilgore that inspired by athletic ground
- air bag cushion on AF1 design inspirate from Paris Notre Dame cathedral
- AF1 25th anniversary player edition that consit six NBA players (Vince, Kobe, Lebron , Amar'e, Tony Parker) got released to the public but there is one that didn't and that player edition is Manu Ginobili version
- Rasheed Wallace wore his AF1 in NBA for the first time at western conference final 1999 between Portland - Spurs Game 3
- rapper FAT JOE bought 24 pairs white on white AF1 all at once and he show it in video on MTV

for those whose still wondering the meaning of kobe code that start from zoom kobe 5 untill now (later they also included in Kobe 9)
View media item 722148View media item 722149
i will add some other info next time

Nike had to redesign the back of Dennis Rodman's because people somehow read "Allah" in the design...

Paul Pierce had 5 Nike sigs, all released only in kid's sizes...:rolleyes

This thread has a lot of good info on the history of the AJ1 and tons of pics - http://niketalk.com/t/4602/ajkos-and-og-1s-whos-got-the-rarest-ones
Those were the Air Bakins. They were worn by Tim Hardaway, not Rodman. The logo on the back featured "Air" in a sort of flame type treatment, but the manipulation of the word in design resembled the Arabic word for God. That was the controversy. Nike eventually ceased producing them. Obviously, the retros were released with a standard Nike Air on the back.

To add, the Air Bakin's weren't Rodman's sigs... Around that time the Bakin's dropped. Nike gave Rodman the Air Worm sneaker and maybe another before he made the jump to Converse...

There was actually 2 other shoes on that line of releases that had the same controversial emblem.

One was the Nike Air Scald... Can't quite remember the name of the other. The were both cheaper variants to the Air Bakin...

Foamposite
-Originally intended for Scottie Pippen. Pippen thought they were ugly. Penny saw them and wanted them. The rest is history.
-The original foamposite molds were lost in a factory fire
I believe Pippen's gripe about the Foamposite was over the technology he had versus the technology he wanted for his shoe.

Nike pushed the Foam Pro for him while the pushed the Foam One for Penny... But wanted his own sig shoe.

He wore Uptempo models and the AJ XII a few times before his 1st sigs dropped.

His foot surgery may have had something to do with him passing on Foams as well... Can't quite remember...

Nah, Kobe and Adidas split ways a year before Colorado. He didn't like the Kobe II and refused to wear it during the playoffs that year (2002) and went back to wearing the Kobe. His 6 year deal expired during that summer, and that's when he became a sneaker "free agent" for the '02 - '03 season.

He signed with Nike in June '03 and Colorado happened a month later. The 2k4 was made specifically for him.

Correct.

That "Free Agent" period is why we got to see him in so many different AJIII, AJVI, AJVII, AJVIII PE's... Not to mention the Reebok Question PE's, the Nike Zoom 2k3 PE, and some others from that period...

View media item 724807

This site was so cool, man... Wish there was a way to revamp it...

It actually was working up until a few years ago...

Kicksology was also a very informative site...

Anyone in here used to scrounge through the old NikePark website?

You probably knew this but I always found it funny that the Original AF1s from '82 had a mesh center panel for breathability but no holes in the toe :lol:

View media item 724711

They retroed those back in 02 with the mesh and toe with no holes but it had 20th on the heel.
They also retroed it the first sat in jan during the 25th anniversary
Wish I woulda bought more pairs
The leather was nice
That version didn't have holes
And more true to OG than the 20ty anniversary was

Last edited:
[

View media item 724807

This site was so cool, man... Wish there was a way to revamp it...

It actually was working up until a few years ago...

Kicksology was also a very informative site...

Anyone in here used to scrounge through the old NikePark website?

The Sole System was so awesome.

Nikes entire online experience used to be so amazing. I remember they used to have URLs for certain shoes printed at the bottom of their full page magazine ads that would take you to a site loaded with information about the sneaker and its technology.

I miss the days when Nike actually tried to sell you a product instead of expecting people to just buy it.

I said this in the noobs vs OGs thread, but thats my biggest beef with the newer generation. I could care less if they know the history of a shoe or its signature athlete, but I wish they could discern the difference between a quality product and this cheaply manufactured hot garbage Nike pushes off. Many of the retros they're selling literally look like fakes. :x :smh:

Nike worked with car company Daewoo on creation of the Foamposite.

Nike worked with NASA on development of Nike SHOX.

I miss the days when Nike actually tried to sell you a product instead of expecting people to just buy it.

Nike still does this mostly for their new shoes that has brand new tech. New Air Jordans, Lebrons, Kobes, etc... still get plenty of ads and marketing. The new techs like lunars and flyknits get a lot of advertising too. I think marketing has just evolved due to the presence of the internet and explosion of the social media that we are seeing less and less tv commercials but Nike still markets the hell out of their products. Just check out the blogs, you'll see pics of new Nikes and colorways on a daily basis, new short vids and clips of upcoming collecting like the tech pack or new shoes like the Arktos just to name a few.

You probably knew this but I always found it funny that the Original AF1s from '82 had a mesh center panel for breathability but no holes in the toe :lol:

View media item 724711

This is embarrassing because I actually didn't know this :lol:

It's also embarrassing that the nelly song got me into sneakers. Once that song dropped I had to have them. I came across this website in my search for them because you couldn't find them locally. And the rest is history. I own 0 pairs of forces :lol:

They retroed those back in 02 with the mesh and toe with no holes but it had 20th on the heel.
The pairs that retro'ed in '02 came in White/Metallic Silver and White/Midnight Navy. They had the perforated toes, too. 

And REPPED to dude who posted the Sole System. I used to love Nike's website back in the day. They'd have the whole timeline of shoes, and you could trace the "genealogy" of all the newest sneakers. That site, Kicksology.net, and Niketalk were the main sites I would go to for info on sneakers.

Also, does anyone remember that site air-jordans.net or something like that? They had pics of all the Jordans, from samples to PE's to GR's and everything. That site saved me from copping fakes so many times in my younger days.

The pairs that retro'ed in '02 came in White/Metallic Silver and White/Midnight Navy. They had the perforated toes, too. 

And REPPED to dude who posted the Sole System. I used to love Nike's website back in the day. They'd have the whole timeline of shoes, and you could trace the "genealogy" of all the newest sneakers. That site, Kicksology.net, and Niketalk were the main sites I would go to for info on sneakers.

Also, does anyone remember that site air-jordans.net or something like that? They had pics of all the Jordans, from samples to PE's to GR's and everything. That site saved me from copping fakes so many times in my younger days.
Yup I remember air-Jordan's.net
Mad it's down :smh:
Had all the info
A lot of Jordan knowledge on that website

So I'm really into Buddhism and zen even do yoga but I'm hearing today the roshe run is based off that [emoji]128558[/emoji] never had a pair or even tried on but this might make we want a pair lol. Anyone have any info on this? Is it the shoe that's based on it or just certain cws?

So I'm really into Buddhism and zen even do yoga but I'm hearing today the roshe run is based off that [emoji]128558[/emoji] never had a pair or even tried on but this might make we want a pair lol. Anyone have any info on this? Is it the shoe that's based on it or just certain cws?
yup pretty much

How To Make It: What’s the inspiration and concept behind the shoe?
Dylan: Since I was young I have practiced meditation, so the concept of Zen and simplicity plays a big part in my life. The inspiration and name comes directly from the word “Roshi,” which is a title given to a Zen master. And to me, nothing really epitomizes simplicity better than a Zen master. For legal reasons, we had to change the “i” to an “e,” but it is still pronounced the same so it worked for me.

http://www.howtomakeit.com/2012/04/exclusive-the-story-behind-the-nike-roshe-run/

Not sure if anyone on here is into art, but the fact that each Prelude takes design cues and details from actual art styles, artists, and paintings is what's really dope to me about this pack. Had a friend who's into art and sneakers name some real life examples or similarities, based on Nike's descriptions

I - Surrealism (Salvador Dali)
II - Renaissance (Michaelangelo's Statue of David)
III - Fresco (Raphael, Da Vinci)
IV - Abstract Expressionism (Jackson Pollock)
V - Pop Art (Andy Warhol)
VI - Venice Beach Public Art Walls
VII - Cubism (Picasso)
VIII - Contemporary art

thx to wayne141

http://niketalk.com/t/574522/zoom-kobe-prelude-pack/3300_50#post_19344900

Damn man. I knew the Prelude VIs were definitely art related but I couldn't pin point where.

I was talking to my girl about the different cushioning technology (I'm educating her :lol: ) . What is your favorite one?

I'm going to go with zoom. It's the only thing I'll use basketball wise. I work at Target during school breaks and old zoom based basketball shoes are the only shoes I trust to get me through 8 hours of standing

Damn man. I knew the Prelude VIs were definitely art related but I couldn't pin point where.

I was talking to my girl about the different cushioning technology (I'm educating her :lol: ) . What is your favorite one?

I'm going to go with zoom. It's the only thing I'll use basketball wise. I work at Target during school breaks and old zoom based basketball shoes are the only shoes I trust to get me through 8 hours of standing

I'd have to say zoom as well. Air Zoom Generations made me a believer. Played in em every single day when they dropped.

Back
Top Bottom